Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Stones album - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Stones album

What's Hot
rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 173
edited September 2023 in Music
According to the news.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Strat54 said:
    I mean it's not shit, is it?  

I think i'd rather watch the video on mute and put Ventilator Blues or something on, tho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's OK. If that's the single. then the album's not going to be up to much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited September 2023
    Track listing:

Sympathy For The Feeble
    Mild Horses
    Midnight Stumbler
    Shuffling Jack Flash

You Can't Always Get To The John
    Little Blue Booster

Paint It Beige
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    God that's dire. It's telling that they can sync thirty year old footage to the current offer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Brought to you by Melodyne 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    Track listing:

Absolute classic =)
  • I’m in the minority of people who quite like the latter albums - Voodoo, Bigger Bang, Bridges - but I’m not getting my hopes up based on the single.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    1981 MTV wants its video back please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I genuinely like it a lot.

It’s a privilege that we’re still getting proper, new Stones originals released in 2023. This privilege won’t last an awful lot longer.

Gold rings on them, as Keith would say. And Rest well Charlie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    I actually quite like the single. Nothing wrong with it at all. The bass part is awesome. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    No, not for me.  That bit that comes in at 0:46 on the video is just horrible.  But I've never been a fan and I was never going to suddenly become one at this stage.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    mo6020 said:

Yes it is.

Pointless self-parody.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Offset said:
    Track listing:

Sympathy For The Feeble
    Mild Horses
    Midnight Stumbler
    Shuffling Jack Flash

Little Blue Booster

Paint It Beige
    It is pretty hard to get a laugh from Mrs Tannin, but you rang the bell with this one @Offset. :)

I'm with the consensus: the single is OK, nothing special, good enough to be an out-take from 20 or 30 years ago. The film clip is frankly awful.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited September 2023
    I’m in the minority of people who quite like the latter albums - Voodoo, Bigger Bang, Bridges - but I’m not getting my hopes up based on the single.
    I like a lot of latter albums too as well as early stuff , I’m pleased they have a new album out & will definitely be buying it , really like the single & video too  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    In isolation it's not a bad song. The trouble is you can't listen to it in isolation and it's clearly nowhere near as good as their best stuff and doesn't offer anything new either. 

Also I'm still unclear what Ronnie actually does musically - there's barely any second guitar audible throughout?! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2023
    It's an OK song, I can hum it so is a bit of an earworm, no better or worse than 2012's 'Doom and Gloom'

I'm not sure how angry Mick really is, he doesn't look angry when he's ligging it up at Lords cricket ground with the other landed gentry MCC members watching the cricket.

Pretty girl in the video, I'm not sure the old fellas from their country mansions had much to do with the making of the video. 

There's a couple of bits in the song that make me think of The Vaccines 'I'm Over It' for some reason.

Well I've listened to it.  Meh.  Didn't do a lot for me.  It's beyond me why they still bother - they hardly need the wedge.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ICBM said:
    mo6020 said:

Yes it is.

Pointless self-parody.
    lolwis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    Not a stones fan but quite liked it, can't really see what the fuss is all about it being poor. There's a lot worse about. Enjoyed the video but it probably wont be long before some moans about there being a bit o cleavage showing.
    'Old men carry on doing what they enjoy!! ' Shock, horror,  absolutely outrageous!!
  • Something about it on R4 news last night, Stones' biographer Philip Norman not being kind. So, Hackney Diamonds are the bits of glass on the road after someone has smashed your windscreen. Or open to interpretation in a Diamond Geezer kind of way. Both of which seems like cultural appropriation for ageing millionaires. Although I guess calling an album Oh No The Butler Has Made My Complan Too Hot Again wouldn't travel well. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    The girl in the video is Sydney Sweeney, I don't really know who she is but I've seen her name mentioned several times this week.  Apparently she's in The White Lotus and Euphoria, neither of which I've seen.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107

I think the song's ok. If they still enjoy what they're doing, good luck to them. 

So Keef, what would you have done differently in life?

"Man, I wish I'd spent more time hanging with the cats on the Fretboard."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    ICBM said:
    mo6020 said:

Yes it is.

Pointless self-parody.
    I want to like it much more than I do, I’ll give you that mate…
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    mo6020 said:

I want to like it much more than I do, I’ll give you that mate…
    I wanted to like it. I did actually like Living In A Ghost Town, that was a bit different and not at all bad. This one is dire though, just Stones by numbers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited September 2023
    I’m a massive Stones fan but the release of a new Stones album hasn’t been a major event since the relative disappointment of Goats Head Soup in 1973. There have been occasional great tracks since Exile but no more great albums.  Even the great tracks dried up by the early 80s ("Waiting on a Friend" or "Start Me Up", both 1981 possibly the last dying embers).  I wish them well but I’ll be astounded if anything on this new album comes close to matching their best work.  Their last album, the decentish but instantly forgettable blues one, attracted similar "they're back on form" headlines.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’m a massive Stones fan but the release of a new Stones album hasn’t been a major event since the relative disappointment of Goats Head Soup in 1973. There have been occasional great tracks since Exile but no more great albums.  Even the great tracks dried up by the early 80s ("Waiting on a Friend" or "Start Me Up", both 1981 possibly the last dying embers).  I wish them well but I’ll be astounded if anything on this new album comes close to matching their best work.  Their last album, the decentish but instantly forgettable blues one, attracted similar "they're back on form" headlines.
    Wow, that's 50 years you've been waiting for a good one.  I hope you've got other favourite bands.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Cor, Mick's looking good for his age. When did he go blonde?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited September 2023
    Not bad. I quite like it.
    Only the Stones could get away with a video like that these days.
    Would it appear on anyone's greatest hits albums for them? Nope... but decent.
    Must have taken Jagger all of 5 minutes to write it?

I like the piano tingle thing at 2:04 reminiscent of Sympathy for the Devil.
    (the pre-chorus reminds me of The Grateful Dead's Scarlet Begonias?).

The lead break in the song though is what I'd play 40 minutes into a club set when I've exhausted my limited trick bag of licks in B minor pentatonic... there you go...good enough..? 
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    GoFish said:
    Cor, Mick's looking good for his age. When did he go blonde?
    When he forgot to apply 'Just For Men'.