Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is the best amp you've ever played? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is the best amp you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    The Matchless Lightning Reverb that I have owned and gigged for 15 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    One of these 

with a pair of these 

My first ever pro gigging rig back in the 70s 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Probably a really old tweed Fender Champ I tried out my SG Junior with. It didn’t need anything more than a volume and tone control as the sound was fantastic.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    One of these

with a pair of these 

Just out of curiosity... how did you connect it up? Those Fender cabs are 4-ohm each, and the head - even if it's a later version with the impedance selector - only has 16, 8 and 4-ohm options, not 2-ohm...

Either: you made a custom cable or splitter box to connect them in series and set the amp to 8 ohms.

Or: you just plugged them in and cranked it up, what is this impedance thing anyway?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I've not owned or played through that many amps, but one that sticks in my mind was a Trace Elliot Speed Twin that I found in this incredibly grungy rehearsal room my band used a few times.

iirc (it was a long time ago) it was running through a Marshall 4x12 cab and sounded glorious - way better than the Valvestates that most rehearsal rooms had.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    One of these 

with a pair of these 

How’s your back?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would say my first Valve Fender, which was a late’73 Pro Reverb. I bought this new from the long defunct South East Entertainments shop in Lewisham for £235. I found the old receipt recently and its dated 10/1/74. I stupidly sold this in ‘81 and have regretted ever since. I doubt I could lift it now (at 71) but it came with factory fitted casters and an embossed vinyl cover ( though i dont think this was standard practice then). Until recently i have used either a Carr Rambler or a mid 70s Deluxe Reverb and occasionally a 74 Vibrolux for bigger gigs but a recent purchase of a Tonemaster Princeton has proved a great substitute for smallish gigs. The DI is excellent and really handy for adding a bit of oomph.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    A small Lazy J. I bought a VERY beat up Tokai Gold Star off a guy in Oxford and when I went to pick it up, this was his sole amp. Incredible.

My old Fender Twin. It was a red knob with a speaker change and decent valves. Sounded absolutely sublime.

My current amp. Positive Grid Spark mini. I kid you not. I’m absolutely in shock at how good it is. Any tone in my head that I’ve always strived for is in there somewhere. It might not be a Lazy J but my GOD it’s good.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    I think the following.

1. mid 60s grey panel AC30 top boost (long gone)
    2. Recently acquired ‘78 Deluxe Reverb. This one has a particularly nice spring tank. So much so that my tech who gave it a once over recorded an IR of the reverb and he already has a ‘69 of his own.
    3. Still love my 18 watt handwired mini Bluesbreaker Marshall.
    4. I’m rather fond of a late 70s Park 20 watt combo. It’s unusual - the controls are backwards facing like the earlier Fenders. It is similar to a Marshall 20 Lead/Bass (???) from the same era but not a rebadged model like some Parks are. EL84s. Had it flat out through an attenuator and it is quite something.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Almost every new love affair has been the best when it started. All for different reasons and some lasted when others faded quickly. My current pair of AC4HW and Supro Rhythm Master are still satisfying very nicely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The rift americana. Never considered a tweed, certainly didn't see the point of an amp without gain and MV. I went to buy a les paul, played it through the rift and went back and bought the amp too. Just sounds awesome with no pedals. You cant make it sound bad. I still use my MJW goldstar more, but the rift just has something special.
  • First time I plugged a tele into my Victoria 5112 with volume at about 3. Just so much fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hoopshoops Frets: 220
    Very early Mark Sampson Matchless Chieftain 2x10 combo. Superb sound, horrendous weight. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited September 2023
    Fender Twin Reverb II (Rivera designed) was my best amp. I had 2 of them.  Too big for me now but superb tones.

• Not the most amazing amp I've played, but most memorable experience, was my first time playing through a Marshall JCM900 and  4x12 in a practice room. My first 4x12 experience. Was grinning ear to ear.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    Blackstar Artisan 30. I can’t think of a better pedal platform. It has a rich full headroom clean & pedals sound godlike through it. Aside from the weight. It’s the perfect amp. 
  • Anything attached to a 4x12 whilst standing in front of it.
  • SquareheadedfreakSquareheadedfreak Frets: 306
    edited September 2023
    Hmm, best to bracket this for best amp for value, subjectivly

Below are all what I paid (within last 2 years) 2nd hand and probably able to find around this price bracket.

This is probably out of a pool of easily 50-75 amps i've gone through in last 2-3 years on a tone journey.

Currently have the CRS & Soldano (and the killer ant!) and on the hunt for a modded JCM800 sound to balance the choices

<£200 - Blackheart Killer Ant Head/1x10 Cab
    <£500 Marshall Vintage Modern 100w Head
    <£750 Marshall Silver Jubilee 20w (or SC20 studio jcm800 20w close second)
    <£1000 Morgan SW50r
    <£1500 Dr Z Amps CAZ45
    <£2000 Soldano Lucky 13 100w Head
    <£3000 Two Rock Studio Sig
    <£5000 Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig 100

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve alsways seen amps as just something to make me louder. I can get by with a decent clean w headroom and a few pedals. 
    All that being said there are 3 amps that stand out to me as they made me play better and hear better. 
    One was an old peavey stereo chorus, heavy as the sun but really sounded great 

the next was a Carlsbro Fat boy 30w combo. Just a great clean sound with a boost to get a little grit. Took pedals really well. 

The most versatile (again for me) was an Engl screamer 50 combo. That thing could do everything I needed expect switch simply with aftermarket foot switches. 

I’ve had a few Mesa’s, Orange and fenders but the above are ones I’d have again. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    1994, I was invited onstage by an acquaintance. Plugged into what looked like a 50W? JCM800 combo, and sounded so good I would put my guitars down for 26 years. Ok, it wasn’t exactly like that (I got into science and forgot about everything else), but honestly I found going back to my tiny practice amp pretty hard. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Hmm, best to bracket this for best amp for value, subjectivly

Below are all what I paid (within last 2 years) 2nd hand and probably able to find around this price bracket.

This is probably out of a pool of easily 50-75 amps i've gone through in last 2-3 years on a tone journey.

Currently have the CRS & Soldano (and the killer ant!) and on the hunt for a modded JCM800 sound to balance the choices

<£200 - Blackheart Killer Ant Head/1x10 Cab
    <£500 Marshall Vintage Modern 100w Head
    <£750 Marshall Silver Jubilee 20w (or SC20 studio jcm800 20w close second)
    <£1000 Morgan SW50r
    <£1500 Dr Z Amps CAZ45
    <£2000 Soldano Lucky 13 100w Head
    <£3000 Two Rock Studio Sig
    <£5000 Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig 100

How do you compare the cleans on the Morgan to the Two Rocks? Asking as I have that Morgan and I've wondered about the Two Rocks and if they are as much better as the price would make you think.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    edited September 2023
    First time I plugged a tele into my Victoria 5112 with volume at about 3. Just so much fun.
    I had a very similar experience. Tele plugged straight in, and it almost didn’t feel like a thing plugged in any more, like no electricity was involved, more like an acoustic guitar or something. Amazing amps. I was always planning to get another, but eventually found myself with a Lazy J 10, which gave me a very similar sort of enjoyment, with added bonus of some reverb/trem when needed, and a bit more volume.

I also had a Lazy J 5, with reverb etc., and it was NOTHING compared to the Victoria. The combo of that circuit, larger pine cab, with 12” speaker is total magic.

I would recommend everyone should own a Viccy 5112, it might be all you ever need.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited September 2023
    said:
    roberty said:
    I've never really fetishised amps, I see them more as pedal platforms...
    That's where I've ended up, after playing through loads of stuff, from classic amps and fx pedals, to complex midi switched rack mounted gear.

Now it's just a Helix LT into an HRD IV and it's probably the best sound and easiest set up I've ever had.

I know I'm a philistine but it works for me in a live band context.

I'm another in the minority "it's not that big a deal" camp. I didn't always think so.  It took time, and trial and error, for me to reach a point where I decided that my MusicMan 65 combo was my ideal amp. For many years it was far and away my favourite ever piece of gear.

When a bad back forced me to abandon it in favour of something lighter, I thought it would be a significant compromise on tone.  But after a bit of experimentation I realised that any good quality Fender flavoured pedal platform would give me what I need.  I'm currently playing a Quilter and happy as Larry that I no longer have to lug an amp that’s 3 times the weight.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    I have 1977 and 1978 Marshall JMP2203 heads. 
  • Owned by a friend:
    62' Blonde Bassman
    60's AC30

Dominic's SLO30

Owned by me:
    5e3 with Celestion blue
    Carr Mercury V
    69 Superlead
  • Two rock Ts1 with a pcm81 and a pair of thieles for the wet (powered by a 2:90). Stupid but heavenly.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • CloudNine said:
    First time I plugged a tele into my Victoria 5112 with volume at about 3. Just so much fun.
    I had a very similar experience. Tele plugged straight in, and it almost didn’t feel like a thing plugged in any more, like no electricity was involved, more like an acoustic guitar or something. Amazing amps. I was always planning to get another, but eventually found myself with a Lazy J 10, which gave me a very similar sort of enjoyment, with added bonus of some reverb/trem when needed, and a bit more volume.

I also had a Lazy J 5, with reverb etc., and it was NOTHING compared to the Victoria. The combo of that circuit, larger pine cab, with 12” speaker is total magic.

I would recommend everyone should own a Viccy 5112, it might be all you ever need.
    We have similar taste! Would love a J10 for my bucker guitars!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    CloudNine said:

I would agree, even though it’s pretty much the opposite of the Trem-o-verb. Incredibly transparent and responsive to the guitar and the player - really very different from a standard 8” speaker 5F1, where the speaker tone dominates everything. It’s also astoundingly loud for 5W - my friend’s one would just about keep up with a medium-loud drummer and my 450W bass amp… but only overdriven, the one flaw was that there was nowhere to go with the guitar volume, backing off slightly to clean up made it disappear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    I loved my Valvestate 100W Head