Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is the best amp you've ever played? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is the best amp you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    This 64 Top Boost:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I loved my old 2 channel Dual Rec, but the Reborn Multiwatt was actually a better amp.

that being said, the amps that made me smile the most was an EVH 5150iii 50W and a JCM800

The 5150 was an early one without the stacked gain and volume controls. That stupidity was the reason I sold it, but it did make me smile a lot.

As for an 800 - it's just a perfect amp. Nothing does what it does and it doesn't pretend to do much else either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm very torn on this subject. 

Lower wattage amps

Ceriatone OTS 20 mini - beautiful clean and very smooth and nice OD channel. 

Ceriatone 5E3 combo - my first tweed experience, stuck a boost up front and now I love pushing this. 

Ceriatone (yer I have a Ceriatone thing) Expression Trainwreck - rock monster but very dynamic with the guitar's controls. 

I've only ever tried/owned one 100watter which is a Peavey Classic 100 head and 4x10 matching cab. This really is special and I love how much air this moves. I don't really need 100 watts but I can't bare to let go of it. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited September 2023
    - Matchless DC30/ Lightning/Nighthawk

- Redplate CDS2/ Redplate Blackverb - Id def own one again, the CDS2 is probably my fave amp ever (when they work...)

- Mesa Snake King (rather loud though)

- Milkman Creamer 20w - the one sound still haunts me.

- Carr Rambler - huge Carr fan, and pre-Two Rock, my fave clean amp ever.

- Two Rock Studio Signature - absolutely mind blowing live; currently own one.

- Lazy J10 LC - currently own.

- Boss Dual Cube - currently own.

- Bartel Starwood - Everyone should experience playing one of these...

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I wish I had paid more attention at the time, but it was a long time ago (around 1985) and I didn't know a huge amount about amp makes and models back then - still don't, but I do know a bit more now.  A guy that was doing a show alongside me rolled in this beast of a 1x15 combo on castors.  It was uncovered dark stained and varnished wood and had a brown grille cloth unlike anything I had seen.  I thought it was a bass amp that he was using, but I remember him saying that it was a custom built one "based on" a Fender design from the 70s that had been built by somebody in or around the Glasgow area.  I don't think it was as powerful as the 200W Showman, and was more likely to be a 75 to 100W amp.  I was in awe of the really rich bass response and singing highs on it when he played it slightly overdriven, but the reverb with tremolo or vibrato (didn't know which) on the clean channel was beautiful.  I didn't get long to play it, but I knew instantly what people meant when I heard them talk about the "feel" of an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Two Rock CRS  50w with PRS Stealth cab, shown with the 1x12 Zilla cab 

https://i.imgur.com/2LAjPe6.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fender vibroking.
  • Milkman 100 pedal amp
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    edited September 2023
    Maybe I'm not easily impressed, or perhaps I'm not that fussy, but I've been playing for decades and haven't yet come across an amp that "blows me away". I've played through lots of nice amps though, but haven't found one that outshines all others. I'm not looking either. My run of the mill gigging amps do what I need.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited September 2023
    Yep.. I still have my a Mesa MKIII Simulclass, reverb, EQ, EVM…. Amp perfection.  Deep, huge cleans, crunch and endless huge dirt tones.   R2 modded for balancing all 3 channels.  Got a black hole mass cab to go with it with more EVMs in it!

Countless gigs with it and still now my go to studio amp. 

More limited but always blows me away… my old, ‘79 JMP 50w Master Lead II, pre JCM800 rock god.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Matchless HC-30 / early Bad Cat BC30.

There's just nothing like them, and they feel fantastic to play. The new Bad Cats are nothing like the originals, sadly.

After that, my old '68 Twin was an amazing amp.
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    My DR Z Maz 18JR & Rift PR35.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My (now sold) 67 JTM50 black flag plexi into 67 pinstripe strap handle cab…

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 1958 Gibson GA-8 Gibsonette - Sold it as the wiring terrified me (google a pic!) and I didn't have a tech anywhere close, and I needed rent money. Went for about £400.00 which is sad when I see what they sell for now! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Soldano SLO 30
      Gartone Bluesman
      Carr Lincoln ( just the sweetest Voxy clean and a whole lot of Brian May when driven hard ) Incredible Amp and the favourite choice of Joe Gore ,the Tone fiend
  • 1979 Marshall JMP Super Lead 100w head into a pair of 4x12s. Cross-plugged. Amazing.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    IV changed through the years ..

I loved the MK4 boogie with EV ...I don't use it much now 

Next up was a Redplate CDS2 ...great amp 

I'm sort of going between my Omega modded hotrod deluxe ...RDA Dualist and Redplate Astrodust all really nice amps ....got to say I used the Astrodust at rehearsal last week and the sound was exceptional ...on cleans and the drives equally ....I have been using a joyo American in the front just as a EQ not sure iff I need it or not though yet 
  • Barney said:

I'm sort of going between my Omega modded hotrod deluxe ...RDA Dualist and Redplate Astrodust all really nice amps ....got to say I used the Astrodust at rehearsal last week and the sound was exceptional ...on cleans and the drives equally ....I have been using a joyo American in the front just as a EQ not sure iff I need it or not though yet 
    Did you sell your CDS2 in the end mate ?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Ignoring practicalities like size weight and sheer volume, it’s old AC30s
    Enough about you.. what about the amp?? :D 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    I’m very much enjoying my Rift Blonde Bassman. My band mates tell me it’s the best amp they have heard me use. My Cornell Romany 12 is pretty special too. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    My old Blackstar Artisan 15 clean was an amazing 3D pedal platform.  <3
  • The best amp I played is a late 60's Marshall JMP 50w. 

Oddly enough the finest live sounds/tones I have heard have all been guitarists playing HRD's (I presume all hired), so I have a suspicion a truly exceptional amp isn't as important as the guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    Barney said:

Did you sell your CDS2 in the end mate ?
    No mate ....i still have it just not used it for a while it's handy though with being small and light ...I probably get a decent reverb pedal that can live in the back of it ....
  • Blackstar Artisan 30. Absolutely insane that such an incredible sounding handwired pedal platform can sell for as little as £400.

It’s true that the combos are extremely heavy (and one of the reasons I moved mine on) but get yourself a head and cab and you’re well away.
  • Like a few other people - 70's Marshall JMP 50W, cranked.
  • My 1966 Vox AC50 into my 4x12 orange cab pushed with a box of rock beats all my Marshall/attenuator combinations of the past, although I had one 1959SLP/4x12 Greenbacks and Powerbrake combination that sounded pretty awesome too.

And my 1967 super reverb sold on here.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I realise not everyone will get the chance to play one, but if you're ever close to Coda, you owe it to yourself to try a Bartel. The only problem is, nothing else will ever compare.
    These aren't well built, they're obsessive. They're inspiring and the more you own one, the more tones and settings you discover. For an incredibly simple single channel amp, it's insane. 
    I've had all number of high end amps, it's just the very best.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eziabqrh8xd301e/0F8C413F-9C54-4EBF-8DD1-9D2FABF4523E.jpeg?raw=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickersticker Frets: 868
    My old Silverface Twin Reverb with JBL’s … I’ll never forget that amp …. The pains in my back remind me of it daily . 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    HerrMetal said:
    Like a few other people - 70's Marshall JMP 50W, cranked.
    This is the thing. Cranked. 

Sound very good at regular volumes but when those output valves start cooking a new and wonderful dimension occurs. The richness and frequencies change and it is so touch sensitive. 

I use an attenuator with mine all the time no matter the volume in the room, because it gets those output valves reallcooking. 

• equalsql said:
    The one that blew you away in terms of tone, flexibility, build quality etc. 
    Was it the clean tones or overdrive, what was the magic that the amp has/ had.
    For me it was a Mesa Boogie Mark III Simul-Class in the late 1980s.
    It was an utter beast which took a lot of taming, but lordy the clean tones were crystal and the overdrive just punched through everything. The build quality was awesome too. 
    Look at it, it's gorgeous.

I had a fully loaded MkIII (EV speaker/Simulclass power stage) exactly like that one. I agree, they were outstanding amps.

I sold mine as I’d stopped gigging and moving the thing around was problematic - they were spectacularly heavy. 
    My Mark IV was 37.5kg if memory serves, that was with a Black Shadow C90!