Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Desert Island movies - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Desert Island movies

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Sid James.

Dozens of British films from the 50's including Hell Drivers and the Lavender Hill Mob and 19 Carry on Films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    blobb said:
    Alec Guiness
    Great choice.

Not following the OPs requirements in the slightest, I choose:

Robinson Crusoe
    Castaway
    The Beach
    On the Beach
    Lord of the Flies
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 824
    edited September 2023
    Tom Hanks or Morgan Freeman for a box office star.

There are probably quite a few second banana actors would bring in a huge number of good movies.

Jeff Daniels
    Steve Buscemi
    Jeff Bridges
    Marisa Tomei
    William H Macy

The ones where you know their face but can't quite remember their name.

or

Laurel and Hardy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Connery

The Man Who Would be King
    The Untouchables 
    Time Bandits 

Oh, and some spy films.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited September 2023
    Was thinking De Niro or Ford but I'm going to go for Eric Roberts due to the amount of films he has been (over 500 I think)..

Might be a load of crap but I won't get bored
  • Angela White (do not look up at work)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Can't believe that there are votes for Tati! Yes, he was brilliant, but he did about 16 films, half of which are shorts and they are all kind of similar. One week and I'd be bored ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Christopher Lee.
    Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Star Wars, Bond
    All his old black an white movies.
    Gormanghast. Some of his filmed stage performances.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    axisus said:
    Can't believe that there are votes for Tati! Yes, he was brilliant, but he did about 16 films, half of which are shorts and they are all kind of similar. One week and I'd be bored ...
    You do need quite a lot of time for collecting rainwater, foraging for food, maintaining your primitive shelter, attempting to build crude rafts, etc. And talking to that basketball...  You wouldn't be sitting around on your arse all the time.
    edited September 2023
    But OK then, Humphrey Bogart. 

Christopher Lee's a good call though, that would include The Wicker Man and The Whip and the Body.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Alec Guinness.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    The correct answer of course is Arnie. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Choice between Christopher Guest and Billy Crystal.

Both were in the Princess Bride.

Crystal was in a wider range of other stuff, but Guest was in Spinal Tap.
  • crunchman said:
    Choice between Christopher Guest and Billy Crystal.

Both were in the Princess Bride.

Crystal was in a wider range of other stuff, but Guest was in Spinal Tap.
    So is Billy Crystal (he plays the mime artist).
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Woody Harrelson or Jeff Bridges, rather than pick anyone else's choice.
  • Thinking Harrison Ford would be a good shout:

Star Wars (the originals, and the best of the sequels)
    Indiana Jones
    Blade Runner
    Apocalypse Now 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    Philly_Q said:

Christopher Lee's a good call though, that would include The Wicker Man and The Whip and the Body.
    I think Bogart would be my choice too. Although Pacino or De Niro gets you the Godfather plus other goodies.
    Call me Dave.
    DB1 said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think Bogart would be my choice too. Although Pacino or De Niro gets you the Godfather plus other goodies.
    And a whole shitload of dross.  Although you wouldn't have to watch all of it, of course.
  • DB1 said:
    Philly_Q said:

De niro doesn't. He's not in godfather 1. 
  • I thought Denzel Washington would be good. 
    He does a mix of "good" films and enjoyably daft action. 
  • Bogie, Jimmy Stewart, Alastair Sim, all possibles.

But I'll go for Hitchcock, due to his cameos in many of his classics. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Tom Hanks, so many classics to choose from
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Robert Mitchum or Michael Caine.
  • Jon Voight and Tommy Lee Jones are a good shout as well.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Tone71 said:
    Tom Hanks, so many classics to choose from
    He went from adorable comedy actor of the 80s to excellent character actor later on. Great guy as well.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    DB1 said:
    Philly_Q said:

De niro doesn't. He's not in godfather 1. 

True. He's turned into Marlon Brando in 1. =) I'd try and sneak the box set in.
    Call me Dave.