Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 5e3s in 2023... - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

5e3s in 2023...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    edited September 2023
    @Neilybob ;;This is a post from 2019 talking about the same things.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/166318/10w-20w-tweed-amps-lazy-j-rift/p1

I posted this, the recording was originally done by Poopot of this parish (RIP)

Listen to this, one of these is a J20, the other two samples are a Modulus Deluxe kit built by a forum member here, one with 6L6's, one with 6V6's. Most importantly they are all played through the same blue alnico speaker.

Jessie builds a great sounding amp, a big part of it is the speaker and the cabinet mods, but it is out of budget, If I was looking to buy a deluxe amp pre built to a high standard, that complies with current safety standards and will have decent resell value then Rift is a good option.

All 3 of those sound mega, I think I like the 2nd one the most (sounds like it has a bit more clarity?), but to my ears there's very little difference that couldn't be tweaked out with the tone knob...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    mo6020 said:

All 3 of those sound mega, I think I like the 2nd one the most (sounds like it has a bit more clarity?), but to my ears there's very little difference that couldn't be tweaked out with the tone knob...
    IIRC the second one was the Modulus kit with 6L6's. Back then we used a bigger OT stock in the kit which was a little less compressed.

I think the point Poopot was trying to make there was its a simple circuit that with the right speaker sounds great.

Getting one with reverb and VAC controls and a brand that ensures great value when selling on is something to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VAC works very well on a 5E3 circuit. Jessie just uses the standard VVR circuit that Dana Hall first posted years ago. I built my own 5E3 after a spiritual experience with a Gartone and built VVR/VAC power reduction into it. Very handy at gigs to knock the volume back but keep the tone. Mine will be doing two this weekend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    TheMarlin said:
    Vyse and Rift.  Best I’ve ever heard 
    From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all…

And it’s a Rift. Hands down, no question, by a country mile. I don’t know what pixie dust Chris uses but no one else has it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    That video of the early gold top is a great playing and tone but I'm not mad for the gnarly overdrive you get from p90s.
  • I've had several 5e3's (including  the tweedyluxe) and also have a Imperial MK2. I reckon tonally the drive channel is pretty close. I've moved on a vyse and a modulus as always felt the tone king had it covered plus it does a lot more.
  • Lazy J and Victoria for me…I play through a 20112 and its awesome but am seriously considering a J10 when we get some more in, they’re not quite the same to my ears so it’s a tricky choice.
    Shameless plug time, we’ll be stocking Victoria amps from November..
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    DougCoda said:
    Lazy J and Victoria for me…I play through a 20112 and its awesome but am seriously considering a J10 when we get some more in, they’re not quite the same to my ears so it’s a tricky choice.
    Shameless plug time, we’ll be stocking Victoria amps from November..
    Oh that is excellent news…!!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 861
    edited September 2023
    https://ampguitars.com/product/martamp-tweed-deluxe/

This early MJW is a good amp that’s based off a 5E3

If I remember rightly it’s a tweed deluxe circuit but with a 6L6 power stage.

I had it on loan for a while many years ago. 
    It was a great thing but way too loud for the house I had at the time.

I was in amp today and noticed they had it.

It had an old re-reconed 55hz speaker in when I had it which I loved. I think it still has it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    I just realised that Rift Amplification has a 2 day course to build one of these yourself. It’s quite decent value in my eyes. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    RickLucas said:
    Absolutely cracking amp, it’s the best I’ve ever owned by miles.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    I’m also a recent Gartone convert.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We need to have a tFB Gearfest and do a 5E3 shoot out! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 115
    I used to own the 5e3 that @Neilybob now has. It's a bit more than a standard ceriatone! I loved that amp and tweaked it to perfection, only sold it as I also have a Rift Tweed 30 and needed the funds to buy a les paul!
  • john_r said:
    I used to own the 5e3 that @Neilybob now has. It's a bit more than a standard ceriatone! I loved that amp and tweaked it to perfection, only sold it as I also have a Rift Tweed 30 and needed the funds to buy a les paul!
    I had a dream last night that I went to Malaysia specifically to chat with the guy from Ceriatone about what amp I should get.
    I really need to get a life.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I recently acquired a new fully loaded Lazy J10LC and I absolutely love it 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Gartone Bluesman all day long
    overall....the best amp I have ever played or heard
  • I have a preference for the 5x3 derivation (6L6 based)
    The best one I tried was a double one from Wienbrock, with 4 x 6L6
    He fitted switches to allow you ti scoop the mids a bit

Victoria amps are all wonderful in my experience, very cheap used prices last time I looked 
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 56
    edited September 2023
    Hey guys, just wanted to reply - I ‘had’ a lazy j20 & sold it because it didn’t do what I wanted it to - always loved the 5e3 circuit but was always scared of an amp with no onboard reverb. Thx to this thread and rift having a limited edition run of 5e3’s, by pure coincidence a high end hand built 5e3 came up, took the chance and oh my giddy aunt!!!! This amp with just the stock as is layout, amazing ! 

So glad I took the plunge thx guys I’ll never be scared of an amp with no reverb again lol !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Hey guys, just wanted to reply - I ‘had’ a lazy j20 & sold it because it didn’t do what I wanted it to - always loved the 5e3 circuit but was always scared of an amp with no onboard reverb. Thx to this thread and rift having a limited edition run of 5e3’s, by pure coincidence a high end hand built 5e3 came up, took the chance and oh my giddy aunt!!!! This amp with just the stock as is layout, amazing ! 

So glad I took the plunge thx guys I’ll never be scared of an amp with no reverb again lol !
    What’s the amp?
  • I have a preference for the 5x3 derivation (6L6 based)
    The best one I tried was a double one from Wienbrock, with 4 x 6L6
    He fitted switches to allow you ti scoop the mids a bit

Victoria amps are all wonderful in my experience, very cheap used prices last time I looked 
    At last, someone has mentioned Wienbrock, my Me3 is switchable between 6V6 and 6L6, always used it with a pair of 6V6’s, never needed the extra power, it’s a great amp.
  • markj said:

What’s the amp?
    This one - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221662/

my god it’s killer ! 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though. Contrary to common wisdom, I love and use the 3D cleans. Pedals for OD.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited October 2023
    Lebarque said:
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though.
    You can put 6V6s in a J20, just change the rectifier to a 5Y3. I did that with my old J20H and it sounded glorious, so I kept it like that for all the time I had the amp. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Lebarque said:
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though.
    You can put 6V6s in a J20, just change the rectifier to a 5Y3. I did that with my old J20H and it sounded glorious, so I kept it like that for all the time I had the amp. 
    You're right. I should try that.