Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 5e3s in 2023... - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

5e3s in 2023...

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
Kinda gassing for a 5e3. What are people loving at the moment? Let's play a "money no object" game and then a "money slightly an object, how about this for value" variant of said game...

Also, is the 'Lead' (Tweed) mode on the Imperial Tone King Imperial MkII any good/reasonably authentic? I do like the idea of having a tweed and a blackface in one amp...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited September 2023
    Modulus Tweedle Dee built in a Blackbird Cabs headshell, and a whoopee cushion and a photoshop of your amp sat next to your chosen guitar hero so you have all bases covered!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • "money no object" a friend has a Lazy J20 which sounds great but it's feckin loud!!

Under "the money slightly an object" heading. I'm in total love with my Ceriatone 5E3 that I grabbed from this very parish. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Neilybob said:
    "money no object" a friend has a Lazy J20 which sounds great but it's feckin loud!!

Under "the money slightly an object" heading. I'm in total love with my Ceriatone 5E3 that I grabbed from this very parish. 

Gorgeous... I should have also said, I would prefer if it were not SUPER loud... but it doesn't have to be like Tonemaster-level quiet either, obviously. Have noted the Lazy J already and that's kind of the benchmark at the moment, but I'm liking that Ceriatone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    TweedyToneWorks Tweedyluxe is the correct answer for all of the OP's questions. 
    And I have it but it's going back into the fold pretty soon in favour of my Rift HP 15. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @RiftAmps are doing a run of 5e3s, which is bound to be a good amp. Not too expensive in hand made terms either.
  • Vyse and Rift.  Best I’ve ever heard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    edited September 2023
    I still like Victoria tweed stuff the best.  Really miss my old Double Deluxe and would love a 20112 or 5112.  

The Gartone above sounds sweet as well.  

I've not tried a Lazy J but I think they deviate quite a bit from the basic 5e3.
    Fishboy7 said:
    I still like Victoria tweed stuff the best.  Really miss my old Double Deluxe and would love a 20112 or 5112.  

The Gartone above sounds sweet as well.  

I've not tried a Lazy J but I think they deviate quite a bit from the basic 5e3.
    Victoria amps are amazing. Hard to get here though - CCGX is down as a dealer but they never seem to actually have any. Would be very happy with a 20112 though. 
  • My Victoria 5112 is amazing. Would love a deluxe though too!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited September 2023

I’ve been looking at the affordable ‘Award Session 5E3 Extra 22’ there is also a 45 watt model available. 

The website has been down for the last few days but there is a Guitar.com review here (from October 2020) https://guitar.com/reviews/amplifier/review-award-session-5e3-extra-22/ 

When the website is back this should be the correct link: https://award-session.com/5E3-EXTRA_combo.php

• rift americana, 5e3 with reverb. 

https://www.riftamps.com/americana

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I love my Lazy J. 
  • mo6020 said:
    I love my Lazy J. 
    Which one ya got? 
    edited September 2023
    Neilybob said:
    mo6020 said:
    I love my Lazy J. 
    Which one ya got? 
    J20 w/ trem and reverb... 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Whitecat the Gartone in my clip is a lower voltage model so has a bit less output. That said, it's still a fantastic gigging amp.
  • I preferred the Louis Electric Buster to the Lazy J20 when I had them back to back. I really love the sound of the Gartones I've heard, though 
  • The best 5E3 is: a 5F10
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited September 2023
    The best 5E3 is: a 5F10
    Harvard lovers of the world, unite! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    It's different though, isn't it? Nicer ;)

get yourself a 5f11 for added throb.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    I realise I'm a stuck record but the Lazy J J10LC is my favourite amplifier of all time and the only amp I own. I've had mine for six years now (after previously owning, reviewing or demoing almost everything else) and I've gigged and recorded with it hundreds of times, everywhere from tiny pubs to large outdoor festival stages and commercial studios. Plug into input one on the bright channel, turn the tone up almost full and set the volume between 3-4 depending on the guitar – it's just magic, with clean to mean under your fingers. The reverb voicing is gorgeous too, it really enhances the core tone and I never turn it off. The only drive pedal I use with mine is a Klon or Klone for those occasions when I need a little bit extra. Probably the best gear purchase I've ever made. Here it is in action (the guitar wasn't bad either): https://youtu.be/HlUm0Up42eI?si=Izt_5_gxvyp8dR-P 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    edited September 2023
    Rift for me. I had mine made in a TV style cabinet. It's my main Amp.

If you ever get the chance to play through a Rift Vibro '63, try it. The Anysley Lister videos, that he did for Rift, used the Amp that I now own, which used to belong to Chris (Mr.Rift himself).

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Lazy J here too, Vac, Trem and Reverb.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chrisv said:
    I realise I'm a stuck record but the Lazy J J10LC is my favourite amplifier of all time and the only amp I own. I've had mine for six years now (after previously owning, reviewing or demoing almost everything else) and I've gigged and recorded with it hundreds of times, everywhere from tiny pubs to large outdoor festival stages and commercial studios. Plug into input one on the bright channel, turn the tone up almost full and set the volume between 3-4 depending on the guitar – it's just magic, with clean to mean under your fingers. The reverb voicing is gorgeous too, it really enhances the core tone and I never turn it off. The only drive pedal I use with mine is a Klon or Klone for those occasions when I need a little bit extra. Probably the best gear purchase I've ever made. Here it is in action (the guitar wasn't bad either): https://youtu.be/HlUm0Up42eI?si=Izt_5_gxvyp8dR-P 
    Chris it was that video that made me pull the trigger on my J20, and then a month or so later on a Les Paul Special for that P90 goodness. 

I hope you’re proud of yourself. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    Neilybob said:
    "money no object" a friend has a Lazy J20 which sounds great but it's feckin loud!!

Gorgeous... I should have also said, I would prefer if it were not SUPER loud... but it doesn't have to be like Tonemaster-level quiet either, obviously. Have noted the Lazy J already and that's kind of the benchmark at the moment, but I'm liking that Ceriatone!
    It does make you wonder how much difference say the Lazy J is to my Ceriatone 5E3? 

I can feel like a comparison coming on soon. Better talk to my mate with the Lazy J20 
  • chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    mo6020 said:
    chrisv said:
    Chris it was that video that made me pull the trigger on my J20, and then a month or so later on a Les Paul Special for that P90 goodness. 

Haha! If you are happy with your purchases then I am guilt free :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chrisv said:
    mo6020 said:
    chrisv said:

Haha! If you are happy with your purchases then I am guilt free :-) 
    Yeh, best amp I’ve ever played by a mile, and while I’ve not played as many as you have I’ve played a few. I’ll never sell the J and the Les Paul’s not bad either. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    duotone said:

I’ve been looking at the affordable ‘Award Session 5E3 Extra 22’ there is also a 45 watt model available. 

The website has been down for the last few days but there is a Guitar.com review here (from October 2020) https://guitar.com/reviews/amplifier/review-award-session-5e3-extra-22/ 

When the website is back this should be the correct link: https://award-session.com/5E3-EXTRA_combo.php

I’ve got the 22 Watt version which I’m very happy with.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    chrisv said:
    Classy af. Love it. That amp is definitely very high on the list... need to work out which limb I can do without to help afford it...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    @Neilybob ;This is a post from 2019 talking about the same things.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/166318/10w-20w-tweed-amps-lazy-j-rift/p1

I posted this, the recording was originally done by Poopot of this parish (RIP)

Listen to this, one of these is a J20, the other two samples are a Modulus Deluxe kit built by a forum member here, one with 6L6's, one with 6V6's. Most importantly they are all played through the same blue alnico speaker.

Jessie builds a great sounding amp, a big part of it is the speaker and the cabinet mods, but it is out of budget, If I was looking to buy a deluxe amp pre built to a high standard, that complies with current safety standards and will have decent resell value then Rift is a good option.