Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Plectrums aka Picks - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Plectrums aka Picks

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    However, I always buy Fender celluloid picks, standard 351 shape, heavy gauge, because I always have, and they seem OK to me.  Usually I've bought translucent, single-colour ones and I notice no difference at all between the colours.  Most recently I've bought some rainbow-coloured ones and there is a difference.  They feel ever so slightly softer, more rubbery almost, and although it may be my imagination that does seem to translate into the picked note.
    (Geekery warning)

I've just done a test, like that PRS video where Paul Reed Smith drops nuts made from different materials onto a hard tabletop.

A plain green Fender celluloid pick makes a plinky/ringing sound like a PRS nut.  The rainbow Fender celluloid pick makes a dull thunk like a plastic nut.  It's a very noticeable difference!  So it seems they are different materials (edit: different materials, or the different coloured dyes really do have an effect).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:
    I have a lot. The big bowl is very mixed

I really like how you store your picks, it looks a hell of a lot nicer than how I store mine, in 2 liter glass kiln jars, I might just nick your idea, though I'll admit part of me worries that I'd forget the ash trays are being used to keep picks in, and I'll end up using them as ash trays when they're full of picks by accident without thinking about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    This thread is reassuring that it's not just me who has heaps of the things... everywhere. 
    I quite like some of the neat storage ideas on here.
    For years and years I was happy with the Big Stubby 2mm.  Life was simple.  Then I stupidly wondered if the grass was greener with some other pick. 
    I try some, think it's "the one" and get a boat load.  Go off it.  Rinse and repeat.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Tried the Ernie Ball tonight. After playing with the Dunlops the EB felt too big. Not wanting to make any cock ups I dropped it (literally) and went back to the Dunlop Delrin. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I've stuck with Jim Dunlop Max Grips (0.73mm or 0.88mm) because I tend to drop smooth surfaced picks after I've been playing for only a few mins. JDs have been consistently reliable for me and the thickness difference is just enough to cater for the different genres of music I attempt to play.

I also find that flipping between finger-picking, hybrid-picking and flat-picking is easier with the grippy surface ... I know where I am with the JDs so if it ain't broken don't fix it methinks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I only ever used Landstrom for the sharkfin shape. As these were the only ones I found that didn't spin around in my fingers playing bass or guitar. I used the heavy size in black and they were a pain to find in the floor if dropped so occasionally used the blue volour but these were slightly softer. I thought of just cutting my own until I found Alice making the same shape and these were in bright mixed multi coloured swirls. These are now my go to, but I still have a collection of all different thicknesses from different makers and will use them on occasion.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Finger (nails) for me. I feel I have more control that way. I used to use a pick because everyone else seemed to, and I just assumed it was part of playing guitar. Then I realised Wilko Johnson, Hubert Sumlin, Mark Knopfler, etc didn’t and that I didn’t have to either.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I like thin & flappy ones. They give me a bright and airy sound that I like. Specifically, the one below…,

https://i.imgur.com/MUQsZAY.jpg
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    However, I always buy Fender celluloid picks, standard 351 shape, heavy gauge, because I always have, and they seem OK to me.  Usually I've bought translucent, single-colour ones and I notice no difference at all between the colours.  Most recently I've bought some rainbow-coloured ones and there is a difference.  They feel ever so slightly softer, more rubbery almost, and although it may be my imagination that does seem to translate into the picked note.
    (Geekery warning)

I've just done a test, like that PRS video where Paul Reed Smith drops nuts made from different materials onto a hard tabletop.

A plain green Fender celluloid pick makes a plinky/ringing sound like a PRS nut.  The rainbow Fender celluloid pick makes a dull thunk like a plastic nut.  It's a very noticeable difference!  So it seems they are different materials.
    That is probably the effect the different dyes that are used to make the different colours.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • For electric I like the .71mm Dunlop Gator grip and for acoustic it's a Blue Chip TP-1R 40. 
  • On guitar i use whatever the yellow 0.73mm dunlop ones are.

On bass, I keep changing my mind. I used to be a 3mm dunlop stubby man (both the normal ones and thr nylon ones) but they feel a bit heavy handed these days so I've been experimenting with thinner ones. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Purple Tortex for me - I settled on them  a while back and haven't really felt the need to try others.
    I have picked (haha!) up other ones at events or whathaveyou, but nothing has grabbed my attention.
  • I’ve pretty much settled on .73 yellow tortex now. Tried the greens but didn’t think it made enough difference in tone or playing to warrant changing. What I gain in accuracy takes away from the rhythm/strumming I find. So it’s a bit of balancing act
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3493
    edited September 2023
    Been my pick of choice for the last couple of years, playing 50s rock n' roll/RnB/rockabilly stuff, where I need good accuracy and note definition...

Not good for heavier strumming stuff, so if I'm ever doing that of thing I go with a standard shape green Dunlop Tortex.

(Edit: wow, that image came out more massive than I intended!)
  • Every couple of years I get sucked in by the wisdom of the internet that thin picks are for beginners, and you need a stiff pick to be a real man.

So I spend a few months struggling with something thicker; but when I feel like I might be getting the hang of it, I pick up one of my old thin picks, and am instantly amazed by how much better it is, like "THIS is the way playing guitar is meant to feel..."

Thin picks for me, then - normally a .73 nylon or Dunlop "Gel" medium light. I find I can play marginally faster with a tortex or ultex pick but they have a scratchy sound on the wound strings that I can't get on with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter