Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Plectrums aka Picks - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Plectrums aka Picks

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8108
Every couple of years I re-evaluate my choice of plectrums. (Picks to other countries. Plectra to pedants.)

For the last couple of years I’ve been using cheap “carbon” picks. I’ve no idea what the “carbon” refers to, but at 1.0 or 1.5mm they’re stiff, and cheap. At the Guitar Show I picked up a couple of Ernie Ball plectrums in different thicknesses, just to try. Last month I bought some alternatives, and of course my plectrum tin if full of others. Recently I’ve been swapping between picks when practicing, and at rehearsal.

From top left:

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III. I like Ultex. The Jazz III is easy to use for single note runs, but I find them too small for heavy strumming. Previously I’ve used larger Ultex picks, but found that even they were too small.

Tusq 1mm, which I bought on here. Nice sound on the upper strings, but a bit thin on the lower strings, but IMO too light for the 10-52s I use on 25.5” guitars. I’m finding it difficult to move the E and A strings. Maybe 2mm would work better?

Standard 1mm “carbon” pick. I’ve got some red ones too which are easier to see on a dark floor. The three 3mm holes were drilled to improve grip. They work. I’ve been using then for a couple of years. When they get rough I’ll tidy the edge by wiping on the carpet, but once they start to wear down the go in the bin.

Gravity pick. I bought this to see what the marketing fuss was about. They work, and are slightly larger than the standard. The sound is quite bright, and the attack is smooth I can see why some people might like this, but I can get already that sound without paying Gravity prices.

Ernie Ball Everlast 1.5 and 2.0mm. These, plus some thinner examples, came from the Guitar Show. I’ve drilled holes for grip. There’s something about the attack which I don’t like. If I were using heavy overdrive then it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m not. Having said that, a touch of EQ would probably sort it out.

Dunlop 2mm Delrin. Also drilled. Sounds like the Ernie Balls, but slightly smaller to hold. I would prefer it to be that bit larger.

Dunlop 2mm gator grip. Drilled. I really like the sound of this one. I’m surprised that it should be so much of an improvement over the Delrin.

Pickboy 1mm. I used to use these, but haven’t been able to get them for several years. This is my last one. They feel stiffer than all the others.

Dunlop Primetone, 3mm, pointed and rounded. Great for loose strumming, particularly with an acoustic sound. The central dent makes then easy to hold. Useless for tight picking. We play Don’t Upset The Rhythm by the Noisettes. These picks are ok for the strummed parts, but don’t have the tightness needed for the picking parts.  Since I’m not going to change picks between songs these aren’t going to see much use.

Lastly, this is a real tortoiseshell pick. I bought up a shop’s stock about the time in the 70s when tortoiseshell was banned. The attack is beautiful. It’s what guitarists have been looking for ever since. None of the other plectrums here can touch it, although the Gravity comes close.

I’m going to continue the evaluation, and try some of them at a few gigs.

What are your thoughts?

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited September 2023
    Pickboy ceramic and pick boy nylon are the only plecs  I use. I buy them from here https://www.plectrum-online.nl/contents/en-uk/search.php?searchphrase=pickboy&start_page=26&searchFormSortBy=R-A&searchFormSortBy=R-A&searchFormRootUse=A  Easy p easy to deal with and not had to pay any odd charges on delivery
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow. that plectrum-online site is like visiting an alternative reality where no one can write HTML.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I can't comment, I fingerpick, although I occasionally use the small stubby jazz picks, I think they're Dunlop ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I use much-modded Dunlop Nylon .88s (trimmed to a point, bent into a curved shape and pierced with an awl to add grip).

I spent a couple of days hacking lots of them about until I settled on this design and it mostly works for me :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I use one plectrum. A yellow tortex one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I have a lot. The big bowl is very mixed

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    roberty said:

D'you ever forget to take one to a gig?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sassafras said:
    roberty said:

I am quite forgetful but I keep spares in my wallet and some more in an altoids tin on my board lol 
  • I use Dunlop Jazz III Nylon on electric and acoustic. I’ve tried other picks but these work best for me.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I exclusively use Dunlop Tortex orange. I established 20 years ago that they just work for me. They don’t last very long at all though if I’m practicing a lot, maybe a few days at the most. I need to find a more robust alternative that will also make me look cool. 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • @Deadman They only last a few days? What on earth are you doing to them?
  • I use one plectrum. A yellow tortex one. 
    Same.  Haven’t used anything else for a very long time. 
  • Been using the Tortex wedge 0.88mm on my electrics for a decade now. Yellow 0.73mm's for acoustics for about 4-5 years. It used to be the 0.60mm's but I like the 73's now and can't see myself using anything else.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Yellow and orange tortex here, swap between them both. Recently just got hold of some little perfect picks from Dans Guitar Store, the pink ones; they're pretty ace to be fair.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I'd always wondered what they were called. 

Tortex is for nonces; they have no grip and end up curving around my thumb/finger.

For the longest time I just used bog standard Gibson medium. Then discovered that for acoustic Jim Dunlop Nylon .73 is a bit more mellow, and a 1.5mm Gravity pick gives me better results for electric.

Fingers for bass.

Soldiers to ukuleles.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I use one plectrum. A yellow tortex one. 
    Same.  Haven’t used anything else for a very long time. 
    Do you share it?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    I like the more flappy ones because you are not itching roids, you are playing guitar. There is no need for all this thick pick stuff.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Still stuck on the Blue Chip picks....TD35's. Great grip and for me zero pick contact noise. Silly price though.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited September 2023
    I use Jazz IIIs and have an Ultex one too which I like at the moment.

Some from the box -

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I could comment on what some people use, but I don't want to come across as too picky.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    I've been using Jazz IIIs Max Grip for years which suit me fine, but I have used Dunlop stubbys before. Totally different but I liked the 3mm triangle ones best. Funny this thread has come up as I'm looking to experiment with "Jazz III alternatives". I've been looking here and the V-picks are probably what I'll try:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar-accessories-2/guitar-picks-360/

(I've ordered classical guitar strings from Strings by Mail in the past with no issues. They have a nice selection of Pickboy plectrums too)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Blue Chip for me 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    I just use normal sized and shaped 0.7 or 0.9 celluloid/pearloid picks, or Dunlop Tortex orange yellow or green (0.6, 0.77, 0.88mm).  I don't normally like anything of 1mm or thicker because I like a bit of spring, but the Dunlop nylon ones are a bit soft.  While buying some stuff recently I saw some "Alice" brand stainless steel 0.3mm picks and bought 5 out of curiosity.  I expected them to create a "zingy" metallic attack tone full of high frequencies regardless of amp settings, but I'm intrigued by what I found with them.  While playing clean my pearloid/celluloid picks are less "zingy" than the stainless steel ones (expected), but through a mildly overdriven amp the opposite is true.  The stainless ones have a "meatier" attack and the celluloid/pearloid ones have more high frequencies in the attack.  I'm not keen on the slight rasp on wound strings when I hold the stainless ones at a slight angle, but when played straight across the strings you don't get that same rasp.  I would imagine that in sweaty fingers they would be very slippery though.
  • roberty said:
    Sassafras said:
    roberty said:

I am quite forgetful but I keep spares in my wallet and some more in an altoids tin on my board lol 
    What are those light blue ones? They look to have a rounded tip, which is my personal preference?
    roberty said:
    Sassafras said:
    roberty said:

What are those light blue ones? They look to have a rounded tip, which is my personal preference?
    D'Addario Duralin 1mm. You can get 100 of them for £30. Basically an ever so slightly more pointed Tortex. I prefer them to Tortex
  • I like the tortex yellow and have been trying to move up to green. I was an orange tortex guy for ages but I was burning through them almost weekly. 
    I find a much warmer tone from a 0.88 compared to a 0.73 which is surprising. Is the 1mm warmer still?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    I just use Dunlop Ultex sharp 1.14 or Dunlop Jazz III XL's.

• Dunlop Flow Standard, 1.5mm.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    @Deadman They only last a few days? What on earth are you doing to them?
    Nothing out of the ordinary but once the tip is blunt I’m looking for a new one. They’re still useable, I just prefer the feel of a nice spanking one. 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • I use mandolin shape "round" picks - I have a fancy casein one from Apollo which is nice, I also use Wegen branded ones which sound better with dirt to me - the downside of the Wegen is they're bevelled and I don't like that. Might go back to Apollo and see if I can get one in a different material that might be better for the dirt. I always use 1.5mm

Out of the "usual" brands I use the Dunlop Americana - problem is they sound pretty muffled compared to the above. Dunlop primetone sound better but the shape isn't quite right and it annoys me.