Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jazzmasters - what's the best option? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jazzmasters - what's the best option?

What's Hot

Comments

• Whitecat said:
    How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
    the '12-17 American Vintage range is a good place to start. 
    Current AVIIs have been by and large pretty good weights too, at least with the dealers that weigh them on the regular. Rarely over 8lb6oz and even a few just under 8. Stands in contrast to the Strats and Teles which all tend to be on the weightier side for those models… 
    I will weigh my AVii tonight and report back. Definitely lighter than my AV65 Jag, though jaguars tend to be heavy due to minimal routing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Whitecat said:
    How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
    Current AVIIs have been by and large pretty good weights too, at least with the dealers that weigh them on the regular. Rarely over 8lb6oz and even a few just under 8. Stands in contrast to the Strats and Teles which all tend to be on the weightier side for those models… 
    I will weigh my AVii tonight and report back. Definitely lighter than my AV65 Jag, though jaguars tend to be heavy due to minimal routing.
    … and more chrome!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Most of the JM bodies I use are the same weight as the strat bodies I have here. 

4lb - 4lb 6oz is normal for me, that’ll give you a 7 1/2lb jazzmaster build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    Only just got around to this - very busy couple of weeks!!

So:
    My mongrel MIM Jazzmaster - 8lb 0
    AV65 Jaguar 8lb 6
    AVii Jazzmaster 8lb 2

The AVii feels the lightest strapped on though - maybe it's better balanced??
  • (One quick note to Offset owners - I'm after an original AV65 offset bridge to go back on my Jag if anyone has one? Might have a StayTrem spare if so, sure there's a deal there. PM me if interested - I've got a WTB and in £Parts too!)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    dazzajl said:
    Apparently, it’s a Mexican 60s Lacquer in surf green, upgraded with Mojo pickups and loom with Mastery bridge and trem. 

I say that because I’ve just taken such a thing from @Keefy’s house and it’s absolutely glorious. 
    Dibs !
    You have mail @DrCornelius!
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 15
    edited September 2023
    I would say reach out to Puisheen on YT. That guy lives and breathes these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Only just got around to this - very busy couple of weeks!!

So:
    My mongrel MIM Jazzmaster - 8lb 0
    AV65 Jaguar 8lb 6
    AVii Jazzmaster 8lb 2

The AVii feels the lightest strapped on though - maybe it's better balanced??
    I’ll try and weigh Chris Bucks JM body and neck before its leaves here, just for interest. 
  • I have a ‘65 Jazzmaster that is 7.4lbs. One of the comfiest guitars ever, seated or on a strap. Have played a few others from this period and from recollection they were a similar sort of weight. A JM would start to lose its appeal for me I think if it was much more than 8lbs. 

In terms of Jaguars, I doubt I have played one under 8lbs. Maybe not under 8.5lbs actually. Guessing most are nearer to 9lbs, but somehow it doesn’t seem to matter so much with them, as they ALL feel a bit heavy so there is nothing to think about in terms of options for getting a light one. Whereas there does seem to be a range for Jazzmasters which could take them from perfectly comfortable to a bit on the heavy side. 
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    I ended up getting an AVii; a bit of a treat. I'm spending some time with it before I put a post up here but at the moment my early thinking is it is an excellent guitar. I feel inspired by it and it makes me excited to play it. Weight is 8.1lbs. Super comfortable and feels light to me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited September 2023
    willo said:
    I ended up getting an AVii; a bit of a treat. I'm spending some time with it before I put a post up here but at the moment my early thinking is it is an excellent guitar. I feel inspired by it and it makes me excited to play it. Weight is 8.1lbs. Super comfortable and feels light to me.
    Lovely. Congrats!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • willo said:
    Can't ask for more than that!
  • Squier 40th Anniversary in Desert Sand is good enough for Chris Buck.  
  • blueskunk said:
    Squier 40th Anniversary in Desert Sand is good enough for Chris Buck.  
    Me too! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blueskunk said:
    Me too! 
    Nice! How do you find the weight for a gigging? 
  • blueskunk said:
    Me too! 
    Not a problem. Though to be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask about that sort of thing. I've never once been remotely bothered by the weight of a guitar, whether gigging it or not!
  • blueskunk said:
    Me too! 

Nice ! 

Mines light as a feather compared the couple of MIJ ones I’ve had. Just had it set up, it’s a cool guitar. 
  • blueskunk said:
    blueskunk said:
    Me too! 
    Nice ! 

Mines light as a feather compared the couple of MIJ ones I’ve had. Just had it set up, it’s a cool guitar. 
    I’d read that some JMs were quite portly so good to hear that these are not as bad. 
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    Me too! 
    Not a problem. Though to be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask about that sort of thing. I've never once been remotely bothered by the weight of a guitar, whether gigging it or not!
    You and me both. Refreshing to hear someone else say that. I can’t say guitar weight bothers me one bit and while I don’t gig I do stand playing for 45 mins or so and never experience any issues because of the weight of a guitar.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    Darn this thread...

Look what you all just made me do..

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • In the same position, I’m still hovering over that buy button on Thomann…
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    JCA2550 said:
    Darn this thread...

That's astonishingly good value!
  • DanDan Frets: 429
    Yep same. 

Just ordered a 40th anniversary dessert sand, think the price is too good to pass up. 
  • Keefy said:
    JCA2550 said:
    Darn this thread...

That's astonishingly good value!
    Absolutely. A chunk less than what I paid a few weeks ago. Fuckers!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Been after a JM for a while, but had vowed to wait and splash out on a more expensive guitar rather than buy another ‘cheap’ one, but the Thomann deal is seriously testing my resolve. Even £299 for a Desert Sand model seems a good price.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    Sea Foam Green is one of my favourite colours
  • I was very close to that SFG one especially at that price but the DS won the day. Good score folks. 
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    I keep saying Thomann has most of the times better prices than all UK retailers, if you can wait 5 days for the delivery then it's mostly a no brainer, sometimes the higher end stuff is a thousand cheaper than UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    I’m looking forward to everyone seeing his new offset toy very soon. 
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    On the subject of MIJ Jazzmasters - their pickups sound more Stratty than vintage reissue models. This is because the bobbin is taller wound narrower rather than wider and shorter like the true design. It’s a noticeable difference and I would budget for swapping them for something that follows the original recipe.