Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jazzmasters - what's the best option? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jazzmasters - what's the best option?

What's Hot
willowillo Frets: 240
edited September 2023 in Guitar
So my quest to get something different has led me to the Jazzmaster.

I've not owned one before so I'm trying to get my head around the range. I think I understand the difference between Ultra, Vintage II, and Professional II.

But what confuses me is the amount of criticism that each one seems to attract. The Ultra is too modern, the pickups are too quiet and the circuits aren't authentic; the Vintage II won't stay in tune; and the Professional II has single coils rather than JM pickups.

Then there are MIJ late 60's versions which look appealing but I can't find any info or reviews online about them.

At the same time, the Jazzmaster seems to have attracted such an intense fandom that might naturally lead to people making bigger deals of those points than I would.

I'm not near any JM stockists so can't try for myself. I guess what I'm trying to understand is real world practical experience from people here who've owned and/or played them.

Any experience welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Jazzmaster pickups ARE single coils BUT the ones in the first American Professional series were roughly the dimensions of P90 coils and they sounded like a fat Stratocaster.

I have not kept up with recent Fender reworkings of their JM pickups. My money went on Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1 pickups in the white AV65 that I received in an exchange deal with HarrySeven.

The vintage vibrato system can be made to stay in tune and rattle free but this involves setting the neck pitch correctly and, possibly, some investment in StayTrem or Mastery hardware. This done, I find it possible to coax Adrian Belew style stunts from the JM.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've only owned one Jazzmaster, which was the last guitar that I bought well over a year ago. I thought on Youtube videos on it showed a guitar, which had features that interested me, and I liked the different sounds it could produce. I did travel quite a distance as I wanted to see how it actually felt and played in the flesh ( plus I did a trade in of a particular model of a guitar that had been made for the shop).

I have a Mocha Burst Jazzmaster Ultra. I like it a lot, and have used it a lot since buying it. The relatively flat compound radius Fretboard combined with the Neck shape are just the things that suit me well, plus the variety of sounds from the different Pickup combinations are right up my street. The Tremolo works fine, despite there apparently being problems on other versions of the guitar. I fully accept that I have no experience of other styles of the Jazzmaster, but mine suits me well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    edited September 2023
    Apparently, it’s a Mexican 60s Lacquer in surf green, upgraded with Mojo pickups and loom with Mastery bridge and trem. 

I say that because I’ve just taken such a thing from @Keefy’s house and it’s absolutely glorious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • +1 for the 60s lacquer! 

I’ve had a surf green one for about 7 years now, had loads of others come and go but that’s the one that stays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just been down this very same rabbit hole myself. Haven't done an NGD post yet, but to cut to the chase I've just taken delivery of a Squier 40th Anniversary 'Vintage Edition' JM and so far it seems like a scarily good amount of guitar for the money. 

I tried a J Mascis signature in store and was amazed at how good it felt and played. Genuinely felt like a better instrument than the MIM and even the MIJ 'Hybrid II' that I tried. However, the pickups are actually more like P90s so ultimately wasn't what I was looking for tone-wise. As a £500 guitar it genuinely didn't feel too far behind the £1800 American Pro II I tried. 

I bit of googling revealed that the general consensus on the 40th anni models are some of the best build quality Squier have ever done, on a par with the J Mascis but a slightly more traditional spec. The satin finish is lovely, has a lovely neck (not too skinny like a lot of Squiers), and the pickups genuinely sound pretty darn good. Was more than £100 cheaper than the J Mascis too, which was nice! 

I bought it with the intention of having a good bit of spare budget free for upgrades, but so far the overly floppy trem arm is the only thing that needs sorting in short order. Other than that I think I might just keep it stock!

There are plenty of YouTube vids out there singing its praises, and Chris Buck actually tours with that exact model completely stock...

……Haven't done an NGD post yet…….
    Well chop chop. Some of us are invested you know! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:
    Apparently, it’s a Mexican 60s Lacquer in surf green, upgraded with Mojo pickups and loom with Mastery bridge and trem. 

I say that because I’ve just taken such a thing from @Keefy’s house and it’s absolutely glorious. 
    Dibs !
  • dazzajl said:
    Hah, well just look at the video in my post and that's the exact model I bought, job done! Except I play it way better than Buck, obviously.....

....not.
  • dazzajl said:

Dibs !
    Dibs from you! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    dazzajl said:
    Hah, well just look at the video in my post and that's the exact model I bought, job done! Except I play it way better than Buck, obviously.....

....not.
    Great!!! Now I want a Melody Maker  :3
  • I have (and love) the garden-variety Jazzmaster; shallow single coil Jazzmaster pick-ups, the rhythm circuit, 7.25 radius, synchronised tremolo et cetera. On my one the regular Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge works fine but I understand why some need to change this 

I really like the trem, which I believe some people don't because it does feel different to Strats and other units

The body shape is to mind the coolest ever made, and really comfortable.

However I know that there are loads of variants available. I played a Mexican one a number of years ago when I was trying out a pedal, something just felt off to me - later I realised that the wang-system was closer to the bridge than was usual and it was this which was throwing me off. This could be considered an improvement as it increased the angle over the bridge however I didn't like the feel of it 

I'm sure that others have some other views, if you have a further idea of what you think you'd like from the guitar I'm sure that others as well and myself will chime in with some suggestions 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited September 2023
    Had a MIJ or CIJ (another rabbit hole) Candy Apple Red a few years ago. A 2004 model. With matching headstock. God I miss that guitar.

If you have the cash and the pure Jazzmaster lust, go vintage II or professional II. If you just want to dip your toes and not commit too much, go for a secondhand MIJ. Pick a colour you like and go for it.

I'd love to try the Squiers as well just to see. I played a pink Squier Jag last year and thought it needed a fret polish, it was a fantastic guitar as well as that price point.

But go second hand MIJ. Better colours. Matching headstocks. Mod it without much fear. And you will also likely get your money back if you decide to sell it on.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    My favourite looking Jazzmaster is the Fender American Original ‘60’s model (from 2018). Love the body colour, dark tortoiseshell pickguard, the witch-hat knobs & also has the lead/rhythm circuit controls (essential). This one: https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/review-fender-american-original-60s-jazzmaster

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    dazzajl said:

Dibs !
    Are you completely sun and sangria soaked chap? 

I’m a little insulted that you think I’d be stupid enough to be considering a trade when I’m trying to raise some cash. You are of course completely correct. I know I shouldn’t but it’s sooo lovely  3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:

Dibs !

I’m a little insulted that you think I’d be stupid entourage be considering a trade when I’m trying to raise some cash. You are of course completely correct. I know I shouldn’t but it’s sooo lovely  :3
    That’s the Dazza we know and love . You don’t need a new house mate , not when there are Jazzmasters to be tamed 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    edited September 2023
    Well that was a failed attempt to paste a photo from my phone library - and I didn’t even hit ‘send’ !!

If anyone can tell me the magic process, do please enlighten…
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    edited September 2023
    Further to the above, I think the quest very much depends on what is wanted either for tone or for tradition.

If the former, I am exceptionally happy with my Ltd Ed MiM Player, with the Pure Vintage 65 pickups. And the In Series switching is a godsend.

I enlisted Wez’s help to recarve and refinish the body and frets, which upgraded it no end. In my experience it will hold its own against many other more expensive variants.

But…it doesn’t have the Rhythm circuit and does have less trad 9.5 radius, MJ frets and blade selector switch. Perfect for me, although others may disagree.

Edit (now at my laptop and able to embed images) @willo - here's a shot of what is one of the best guitars I've ever played/owned.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotone said:
    My favourite looking Jazzmaster is the Fender American Original ‘60’s model (from 2018). Love the body colour, dark tortoiseshell pickguard, the witch-hat knobs & also has the lead/rhythm circuit controls (essential). This one: https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/review-fender-american-original-60s-jazzmaster

There are a couple of these currently for sale in the classifieds, although not in that lovely colour...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/253087/2018-fender-american-original-60s-jazzmaster-private-sale#latest

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252776/fs-2018-fender-american-original-60s-jazzmaster#latest
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:

Dibs !

I’m a little insulted that you think I’d be stupid entourage be considering a trade when I’m trying to raise some cash. You are of course completely correct. I know I shouldn’t but it’s sooo lovely  :3
    That’s the Dazza we know and love . You don’t need a new house mate , not when there are Jazzmasters to be tamed 
    It’s just so pretty and pastel’y

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Still very very smitten with my relatively recent acquisition. I’d been too long without one having sold my last JM (a gold ‘12 AV65) a few years back. It’s just so good. Lightweight, resonant… can’t put it down. It’s off to have a rather lovely custom set of mojos fitted tomorrow, so I’ll have to though. In the meantime, it’s so very pretty. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I sold one last year, and now I'm gassing for a Jazzmaster again. Damn this forum!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited September 2023
    About to do a NGD post for an AVii. None of the QC issues I'd seen in a couple of reviews were present - I'd put that down to one or two bad eggs that got through QC, which is sloppy at this price point but there you go. 

JMs are their own thing but very easy to live with despite what some would say if set up correctly. 

Btw - AViis going for £1699 at GAK and Andertons currently - I couldn't resist. Mine is made Oct 22 and has a 'smaller' headstock, so not a new batch, but flawless fit and finish none the less. Best guitar I've ever owned and easily the best JM I've played including 10+ vintage ones I tested while in NYC. An improvement on the quality of my AV65 Jag. 

ALL THAT SAID, if I were dipping my toe and wanted to go new, I'd be after a Vintera 60s JM. Will have all the good and bad points of a vintage type, with some mod cons like 9.5 radius. Once you've tried something 'vintage correct ish' you can decide which are the parts you like or don't and change them or eventually upgrade to one of the USA models. Plus ice blue metallic with a matching headstock gives a flavour of another part of the offset appeal - snazzy custom colours! Have seen good things about the top end Squiers too tbf. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    I bought an Anderson's special purple Squier CV60 when they were clearing them out for 299 just because I wanted to see what a JM was like without spending a fortune. It was very well put together and my only criticism was the trem arm boss was squeaky so I fitted a staytrem boss but other than that it was great for the money. Frets were level, ends smooth and the neck pocket is already pitched so you don't need to shim.
  • thefezthefez Frets: 122
    I also got a Squier Classic Vibe from Andertons and the thing is great. Figured out the floppy trem arm was me not pushing it in far enough. Really like it for the price and sounds great with some flatwounds for me

• willowillo Frets: 240
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm split between two extremes on this one. Buying one of the Squier 40th anniversary models, potentially with an eye to upgrading a few bits in future, or going for the Fender AVii.

Both seem to be fairly authentic to the oddities of JMs, and that's what I'm going for.

The Squier feels interesting - price is great, it's a proper player's guitar, and a maple board is something I don't have. The AVii on the other hand - something a bit special and I'm a sucker for a nitro finish.

Will have a think. But I will say how confusing the overall Fender JM line up is at the moment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
    Generally heavier than most Strats due to those long bodies. 
  • How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
    the '12-17 American Vintage range is a good place to start. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited September 2023
    How to avoid a heavy Jazzmaster? I had the CV JM for a while, and it weighed a bit...
    the '12-17 American Vintage range is a good place to start. 
    Current AVIIs have been by and large pretty good weights too, at least with the dealers that weigh them on the regular. Rarely over 8lb6oz and even a few just under 8. Stands in contrast to the Strats and Teles which all tend to be on the weightier side for those models…