Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Apple Carplay - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Apple Carplay

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
On Saturday I'm picking up a car which will be my first with Apple CarPlay, I've never used it before.
What wonderful new world does this open up for car journeys? Are there certain must-have apps?
Anything else I need to know?! 
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    It has 2 main functions.

It connects to Google Maps or Waze, and your music or podcast.  It will remember where you last left off your podcast or song for example.

That's pretty much it, you can then use the screen to search etc but honestly, i don't do that because it's not really safe, i set up everything before i drive first.  It's nice to have a larger screen for the map though vs a phone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congrats! CarPlay makes journeys more accurate and entertaining. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I use it's cousin - Android Auto - daily.  Lets you use Waze or Google Maps instead of your built in mapping for Navigation (typically not updated after purchase, and often rubbish).

Also allows voice control of your phone via the voice button in your car, so you can say "Play songs by Wet Leg" and it plays (usually) the carry-on style humoured mega-hits of the cuties/ occasional forum punch-bags from the Isle of Wight.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    I use it's cousin - Android Auto - daily.  Lets you use Waze or Google Maps instead of your built in mapping for Navigation (typically not updated after purchase, and often rubbish).

Also allows voice control of your phone via the voice button in your car, so you can say "Play songs by Wet Leg" and it plays (usually) the carry-on style humoured mega-hits of the cuties/ occasional forum punch-bags from the Isle of Wight.
    Nice! Are any other musical artists available on this system, or is "Play songs by Wet Leg" the only voice command it responds to?  ;)
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    BigMonka said:

Nice! Are any other musical artists available on this system, or is "Play songs by Wet Leg" the only voice command it responds to?  ;)
    It's only Wet Leg.

Honestly, if I didn't like them, it would be a bit of an issue for me.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    BigMonka said:

@darthed1981 says he hasn't tried.   ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I'm a fan but I just use with Apple Maps and play music. It will also read your texts, WhatsApp etc. and allow you to dictate a reply 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I only use it for satnav, music and calls too. The whatsapp read and reply function is really useful, although it can cause the odd moment of hilarity because it reads out the messages phonetically. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Google Maps, Music, Spotify & Podcasts here. I'll occasionally switch to Waze if google is being a twat. 

I also use it to dictate WhatsApp messages hands-free and read out replies because Siri's actually pretty good at that these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Replying to whats app/text messaging is handy .Making calls and sending messages with siri is nice and simple and works well.  I also use Waze for sat nav, spotify for music and the "Teams" app is handy for taking calls if your out of the office when you shouldn't be. ;)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    CarPlay is great for calls, music and hands free messaging. The other big plus is having the Siri digital assistant to answer any queries or find info for you whilst on the move. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    It's absolutely brilliant.

Indeed, now a 'must have' in a  car for me....

You can listen to YT, Audible, Apple Podcasts, other Podcasts, BBC Sounds.

Try them all ! Enjoy =)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    You can ask Siri to read your messages or emails to you and you can reply to them without taking your eyes off the road. As others have said control all your music and ask it to ply anything you have access to. Siri works best with either Apple Music or Spotify. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    I’m a big fan. I’ve had it in my last few cars, but works best in my current car (BMW 330D). 
    Can be a bit clunky here and there though. Sometimes disconnects and takes a while to reconnect.  Particularly if wife is also in the car (also has a profile on Apple Car Play). 
    95% or the time, it’s great. And hands feee Siri for selecting music as the mood strikes is excellent. 

I use Apple Maps, seems to work very well.  Every time I’ve had a fight with it, and decided to go the route I think is best (compared to it’s weird route it’s offered) I’ve ended up at the back of a huge traffic jam.  So I’ve learned to trust it’s occasionally bizarre routes, almost always keeps me out of serious traffic problems. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Waze is my default app. I’ve avoided driving into potholes and been alerted of mobile cameras a lot and wouldn’t drive anywhere without it running now. All this whilst enjoying Spotify and replying to WhatsApp messages via voice. Brilliant.
    I play at my dining room table.
    This is all sounding exciting! Google Maps, Spotify, Podcasts and Audible all sound great. I’m not sure about reading and replying to messages whilst driving but that might be one of those things that once you start using it becomes part of your normal routine.

Is there anything you need to set up on your phone (other than the connection to the car)?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    No, it pairs like a Bluetooth device, except it knows its CarPlay.  If you have the phone also on, say when you are using Waze.  The phone shows all the steps in the journey:- left turn to M6, right turn A32 etc.

Think of CarPlay like a second screen to the phone but a few features.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited September 2023
    I've got it in my a-class, and whilst it is useful for the map element, and obviously playing the music that is on my phone, it is a bit weird.. 

I've seen others with this weirdness too but we've all resorted to it being normal. 

The volume when playing thru apple car play is quieter than when playing a cd/radio. 
    When I have my phone connected via apple carplay I have to crank the volume up to like 80% to get a fairly loud volume. That same 80% on a cd would sound absolutely loud, probably too loud. 

I've gone into my iphone settings and turned off 'sound check' which improved it a bit. 

I mean its not a huge issue, can still get the music as loud as I'd want via carplay, but it is weird. Checked all car settings and theres nowt that can adjust carplay volume other than the normal turn up or down. 
    The phone when connected will be 100% volume as you cannot adjust the volume via the phone once connected. 

But you might wanna check.. as I switched from carplay to cd once without first lowering the volume and it almost blew my head off when the cd started playing lol. 

Either way I use it on most journeys. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BigMonka said:
    This is all sounding exciting! Google Maps, Spotify, Podcasts and Audible all sound great. I’m not sure about reading and replying to messages whilst driving but that might be one of those things that once you start using it becomes part of your normal routine.

Is there anything you need to set up on your phone (other than the connection to the car)?
    Turn sound check off in your iphone music settings.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BigMonka said:

Not really - wired or wireless (or both) depending on the car. The only other thing I can think of is to reorder the apps to get whatever you use most on the first page, and change the background wallpaper if you want to - I'm guessing some people won't realise you can do that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It means it’s easier to skip tracks quickly - handy when “So What” comes on and the kids are in the car.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BigMonka said:

Not really - wired or wireless (or both) depending on the car. The only other thing I can think of is to reorder the apps to get whatever you use most on the first page, and change the background wallpaper if you want to - I'm guessing some people won't realise you can do that. 
    Cool, thanks. Do you do the app re-ordering on the car or on your phone?
    BigMonka said:
    BigMonka said:

Cool, thanks. Do you do the app re-ordering on the car or on your phone?
    I do it on my phone - I have a vague memory that it's possible in the car but I'm not 100% sure and my  wife has taken the car away for a few days so I can't check. 
  • I think it's on the phone only, while you're in the car. But I haven't done it in ages so might be wrong!
    I think it's on the phone only, while you're in the car. But I haven't done it in ages so might be wrong!
    Think you might be :) I’ve just reordered from the comfort of my office. But I can’t check until my wife gets back with the car. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow , it’s nearly like having KITT on Knight Rider , when we finally get self driving cars the dream will be fulfilled 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Wow , it’s nearly like having KITT on Knight Rider , when we finally get self driving cars the dream will be fulfilled 
    Tesla are listening to you  ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wow , it’s nearly like having KITT on Knight Rider , when we finally get self driving cars the dream will be fulfilled 
    Tesla are listening to you  ;)

That’s ace lol 
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    In case it’s not obvious, it’s worth noting that stuff you stream with CarPlay (Spotify, Podcasts etc) is still streaming to your phone and using up mobile data unless you’ve downloaded it in advance.

Count me as another CarPlay fan. I use it with Google Maps, Apple Podcasts, BBC Sounds and YouTube Music all the time, and WhatsApp works surprisingly well hands free. My wife laughs at me for dictating the punctuation. 
  • To be honest I'm surprised Tesla's do not have the number ght rider front red light as standard.