Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fuzz me up! - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fuzz me up!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 108
    edited August 2023
    JD50 said:
    For reference, what type of fuzz sounds are you into?
    The trouble is I like a lot of different fuzz tones, l I love Sleep, Monster Magnet  and heavy, Velcro ripping nastiness, but I also love 'volume cleaned up' Fuzzface/Strat goodness. I realise I probably need two or more fuzzes for this :-)  
    Leaning towards 'wall of power chord graunch' - which I guess is more Big Muff and muff clone territory. 
    The tone at 6.30 here is awesome
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdCIRqZyRjg
    Small plug to say that you can find two of the ultimate Muff-based 'wall of power chord graunch' pedals for sale here, along with a great example of 'volume cleaned up' Fuzzface/Strat goodness in the Groovy Wizard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    The fuzz factory is quite bright with no tone control of the ones I own I'd recommend the wooly mammoth or out of the box suggestion stone deaf  parametric thing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Pd2 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Cirrus said:

It's got mids, I think that's the difference. It's fuzzy but with note clarity so yeah not as insane.
    The Fuzz Factory is all mids too - I actually disagree about it being versatile, it does lots of different varieties of mayhem but they all sound like a Fuzz Factory. If anything the Zoom is slightly more flexible with the extra tone control - but it lacks the "Here's Johnny!" element of deranged chaos that the Fuzz Factory does so well.

The more I think about it, the more I want to just get another original Fuzz Factory. (Even though I detest true bypass mechanical switching.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Well thanks, thanks a bunch.
    I have been completely sorted for fuzz tones for years with my Visual Sound Angry Fuzz (serious flexible snarly silicone tones & octaver)  and an old DHA Fuzzy Feeling (handwired 3 transistor germanium MK2 Tonebender-ish ). 
    Then I read this & watched the Keeley Electronics Moon Op Amp Fuzz demo...
    Anyway my 
    Keeley Electronics Moon Op Amp Fuzz arrives from Peach tomorrow. Thanks again...  B)
    Hope that you get sorted ;)  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    If you turn up the sag control on a Valvesporker it gets quite fuzzy. Sadly they are a highly sought after collector's item these days. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Well thanks, thanks a bunch.
    I have been completely sorted for fuzz tones for years with my Visual Sound Angry Fuzz (serious flexible snarly silicone tones & octaver)  and an old DHA Fuzzy Feeling (handwired 3 transistor germanium MK2 Tonebender-ish ). 
    Then I read this & watched the Keeley Electronics Moon Op Amp Fuzz demo...
    Anyway my Keeley Electronics Moon Op Amp Fuzz arrives from Peach tomorrow. Thanks again...  B)
    Hope that you get sorted ;)  
    Whoops :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    I bought a Scott mckeon smfuzz recently and it’s amazing.  If you want a vintage fuzz tone with great clean up check it out.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Depends what you want from a fuzz. The One Tonne Bee is quite unlike anything else. 

I hugely fan of Death By Audio fuzz pedals.  They sound huge, usually a bit nasty sounding (in a great way) but play well with other pedals. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    For a versatile, works-with-your-pedalboard fuzzface type, get thee to Chasetone. 
  • Leftfield choice. Rush Pep Box. A gnarly, lofi angry bee fuzz that's got a similar vibe to a MK1 Tonebender, but is very much its own thing. Cuts through very well.

Selmer Buzztone. Really an early transistor OD, but most people who make one add a high gain switch that turns it into an ace fuzz. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Buzztone and Bosstone are 2 I'd love to try. I'd particularly like to see about Bosstone-based things like the 'Bones or the Basic Audio Texur.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    tFB Trader
    Well I am awaiting the delivery of this ...

I'm pretty convinced that one fuzz alone isn't going to scratch the itch ... but I think this is a solid start. Listened to a lot of reviews and figure a bit of experimentation with my TS808 before (or after) might get me a fair way.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    Well I am awaiting the delivery of this ...

I'm pretty convinced that one fuzz alone isn't going to scratch the itch ... but I think this is a solid start. Listened to a lot of reviews and figure a bit of experimentation with my TS808 before (or after) might get me a fair way.
    I run a TS style before my standard Big Muff....
    My Deluxe Muff has mids which can be switched on/off... yet to try one of these Sovtek versions 

• I recently got a Hudson Broadcast, but it hasn't really scratched the itch.  

Previously I had a Benson Fuzz, which was excellent, but just a bit too polite.  That said, it sounded great boosted.

Next on my list are probably the Chasetone, MJM and Analogman Sunface.

There are plently of UK fuzz face options but they tend to be silly money.  Plus easy enough to build yourself if that's the circuit you like.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Dod Carcosa because you can't have a what fuzz thread without it being mentioned. It's in the rules.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    And you mentioned big sustained power chords which is what I used mine for.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1239
    tFB Trader

There are plently of UK fuzz face options but they tend to be silly money.  Plus easy enough to build yourself if that's the circuit you like.
    May I introduce the Fredric Effects DuoFace - complete Silicon BC108 and hand selected Germanium transistor Fuzzfaces run in parallel, with independent bias controls. At what I think is a reasonable £140
    https://fredric.co.uk/duoface

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    timhulio said:

May I introduce the Fredric Effects DuoFace - complete Silicon BC108 and hand selected Germanium transistor Fuzzfaces run in parallel, with independent bias controls. At what I think is a reasonable £140

oooooo thats neat

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ewal said:
    Dod Carcosa because you can't have a what fuzz thread without it being mentioned. It's in the rules.
    I have maybe 40 fuzz pedals and the Carcosa is the one on my board. That's about the best endorsement I can give
  • timhulio said:

Very reasonable indeed.  I may try one actually.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My latest Fuzz purchase a couple of months ago was the great sounding SURFY- INDUSTRIES SURFYFUZZ pedal .
    Its a really fun Fuzz.
    It works really well combined with a good Phaser pedal  <3
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I have a lot of @juansolo pedals, and a few years ago he copied my Jumbo Tone Bender and turned it into a pedal.  Cleggy and John got it spot on.  So much so that I sold my original pedal and just use the one he made (though I have several different pedals he made me with the JTB circuit in them).  If you can find one, they are great sounding pedals and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the mufffy type of fuzz sound (but with a bit of an edge).