Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fuzz me up! - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fuzz me up!

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
in FX tFB Trader
I have to admit I have a strange desire ... 

but aside from that, I find myself hankering after a fuzz again after many moons of amp distortion and overdrive. I've started mucking about with down tuning and getting all doom ... it must be me age. But I have basically not had a fuzz in my rig since I was about seventeen ... no it wasn't steam powered. It was in fact an old Sola Sound Tone Bender. I've been quite taken by the Keeley Electronics Moon Op Amp Fuzz - it sounds thunderous in the bottom end in various demos - and has a lovely 'velcro edge'. Anybody got any other suggestions?  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 74
    @photek I’m sure you must have a few fuzz recommendations
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz

Basically a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz copy, which is itself a Shin-Ei FY-6/Univox Superfuzz copy with added EQ and a clean boost mode.

Under £25 new.

If Chinese mass-produced plastic cheapness isn't your thing (and I don't actually blame you...) then I would go back to the source for the circuit, and look at a proper Shin-Ei copy like the Frederic Effects Super Unpleasant Companion - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251866/new-fredric-shin-ei-companion-fuzz-and-superfuzz-content/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The Behringer SF300 is a classic lol. You will regularly see them nested within boutique offerings

I would recommend Fuzz Dog kits to anyone handy with a soldering iron. Fuzz circuits tend to have a high satisfaction to part count ratio
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Guitarsystems FuzzTool Jnr

It's a FF with just more. The tone control does something magical that increases the filth in a wonderful way.

https://www.guitarsystems.nl/pedals

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    For reference, what type of fuzz sounds are you into?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    I don’t mean to mention it here (well, I guess I do) but I’ve got a custom Tate FX germanium fuzz pedal I’ll be moving. It’s bloody good, but my dabble with fuzz pedals ended a while ago but I kept this one as I do genuinely like it.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited August 2023
    Another +1 to the SF300.

An oft-overlooked gem is the Way Huge Swollen Pickle (any version); it’s a brilliant take on the Big Muff, with a lot more versatility and range available within the extra controls.  A similar UK-made option is the StoneDeaf FX Fig Fumb which I keep meaning to try too
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
    The trouble is I like a lot of different fuzz tones, l I love Sleep, Monster Magnet  and heavy, Velcro ripping nastiness, but I also love 'volume cleaned up' Fuzzface/Strat goodness. I realise I probably need two or more fuzzes for this :-)  
    Leaning towards 'wall of power chord graunch' - which I guess is more Big Muff and muff clone territory. 
    The tone at 6.30 here is awesome
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdCIRqZyRjg
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    For something a bit exotic and different (USA), try the Doom Bloom by Fuzzhugger. Fuzzface based.

Shoe Pixel is very nice imo.

SF300 or fy-6 / fy-2 are good without sounding the least bit like amp drive.

For thunderous yiu could do worse than a Foxx Tone Machine  - Warm Audio do one, but I'd go for the Dano French Toast. Huge! Scooped!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • I've tried the classic fuzz flavours - Fuzz Face, Big Muff, Tone Bender, etc, but I currently use a Boss FZ-1W, which has two voices, a great Tone control, and is incredibly versatile. I highly recommend it.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    JD50 said:
    The trouble is I like a lot of different fuzz tones, l I love Sleep, Monster Magnet  and heavy, Velcro ripping nastiness, but I also love 'volume cleaned up' Fuzzface/Strat goodness. I realise I probably need two or more fuzzes for this :-)  
    Leaning towards 'wall of power chord graunch' - which I guess is more Big Muff and muff clone territory. 
    The tone at 6.30 here is awesome
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdCIRqZyRjg
    're Muffs - I have  A Deluxe Big Muff , all the reweakability you need... also I London if you wanted a lend.... 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Fuzz Factory.
    The most versatile of fuzzes.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    As others have said the FZ-2 is the ultimate doom fuzz.

The FZ-1W is also pretty fun.
  • Wampler velvet fuzz and Fender’s the Pelt I really like.
       I also bought a Jimi c fuzz off here recently and that’s more of your classic fuzz face, great with the volume control and just feels more ‘real’.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    Mad professor Fuzz32. My main dirt pedal but not used very often these days. It’s in the classifieds 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    roberty said:

I would recommend Fuzz Dog kits to anyone handy with a soldering iron. Fuzz circuits tend to have a high satisfaction to part count ratio

I see what you did there.

Would definitely agree re: kits. Fuzzes- particularly the early ones- Fuzz Faces, Tone Benders, Bosstone, Mosrite etc.- are generally pretty simple circuits so a good introduction to the world of DIY. Until you head off down the rabbit hole of germanium fuzz voodoo, anyway...

Funnily enough, Fuzzdog have you covered here. They offer an option to box two of their small kits (including a ton of different fuzzes) in one enclosure, which means you can go for something Fuzz Face-y and something Muff-y. You could even put both on at once if you're feeling frisky. I don't think they have anything octave fuzz flavoured in that particular range though...

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/fpdu

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Ghost Effects make some great fuzz pedals. Made in Birmingham, and really high quality, without straying into 'stupid prices' territory.

Also any of the Thorpyfx ones, I really like the Silicon Veteran which has a built in boost. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz.

Nearly as insane as the Fuzz Factory, but far easier to get the same sound more than once. 

And it'll do subtle too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    If you can find one, have a look at the Magnetic Effects White Atom. Magnetic effects have shut down I believe so they may be a bit rare. It's a silicon/germanium hybrid pedal with a wide range of tones and a brilliant "texture" feature with a pot that allows you to "starve" voltage to the gain stage which can give you the nastiest spitty sound. I've cleared a lot of pedals out, but this is one I've kept because it's just SO good.

Here's the Pro Guitar Shop demo and a Burgs demo:

The Zander Siclone is a UK made Fuzz Factory type fuzz. I prefer it to the Fuzz Factory. Doesn't look like he has any in stock at the moment but there are a few floating around on the S/H market
    roberty said:

I see what you did there.

Would definitely agree re: kits. Fuzzes- particularly the early ones- Fuzz Faces, Tone Benders, Bosstone, Mosrite etc.- are generally pretty simple circuits so a good introduction to the world of DIY. Until you head off down the rabbit hole of germanium fuzz voodoo, anyway...
    Never really got the germanium hype, though not to say they sound bad. I would sooner buy a germanium fuzz than build one, 100%
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Sporky said:
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz.

Nearly as insane as the Fuzz Factory, but far easier to get the same sound more than once. 

And it'll do subtle too. 
    Oh!  :o

I literally just put mine up for sale, but fuck, it is great isn't it. I'd be a fool.

This is it into a Delay & AC30. It's probably not anyone's style, but gives an idea of how it sounds. Just a guitar & drums jam I recorded a few months back. The glitchy stuff at the end is an Infinite Jets.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd second the Fuzz Factory. Loads of fun as well as numerous great sounds. 
    It's possible to find clones out there if you wanna check that it's your kinda thing before dropping 200 spoons on it.
  • Fender The Trapper is great too, does vintagey stuff, Octavia-ish and spitty velcro
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I've got a BG Harding Manic Fuzz which is a clone of the prescription electronics experience fuzz with swell and octave like this one, I'm considering letting go. DM if interested? 

B.G. Harding Manic Fuzz (Prescription Electronics Experience) https://reverb.com/item/68056424?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=68056424
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    A bit trickier to track one down but based on what the OP said about wanting something Monster Magnet-ish, I would look for a Bogner Oxford.

Pete Thorn does a good demo of it, it has serious 90s/stoner mojo. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I’m actually thinking of selling my Zoom Ultra Fuzz too - it is great, and I know what Sporky means about it being more consistent than the Fuzz Factory, but it’s just a bit… polite - it lacks the sheer lunatic aggression of the original. I even thought the PCB version of the Fuzz Factory wasn’t quite as insane as the early stripboard one I had - I don’t know why, these things don’t usually matter to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Cirrus said:
    Sporky said:
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz.

And it'll do subtle too. 
    Oh!  :o

I literally just put mine up for sale, but fuck, it is great isn't it. I'd be a fool.

You'll never get another one for sensible money. 

I sold mine years ago for next to nothing.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    ICBM said:
    I’m actually thinking of selling my Zoom Ultra Fuzz too - it is great, and I know what Sporky means about it being more consistent than the Fuzz Factory, but it’s just a bit… polite - it lacks the sheer lunatic aggression of the original. I even thought the PCB version of the Fuzz Factory wasn’t quite as insane as the early stripboard one I had - I don’t know why, these things don’t usually matter to me.
    It's got mids, I think that's the difference. It's fuzzy but with note clarity so yeah not as insane.

I had a Bogner Oxford for a bit, had to return it as the switching circuit wasn't right. They sound great, pretty flexible
    The Fuzz Dog Fuzz Factory kit has a three way toggle for different levels of fatness. I built mine in the pandemic (we made our own fun in those days)