Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Do you buy gear because of endorsements? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Do you buy gear because of endorsements?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Very interesting thread. 
    I know in my formative years I certainly got turned onto some guitars because players I liked used them and maybe looked cool with them.
    I think coolness and design aesthetic of those guitars played a part - such as the flying V and Paul Stanley’s Ibanez PS10

I tend to think I take more notice of players I like who naturally gravitated to certain gear rather than use it as part of an endorsement deal, so they had bought that gear long before ever getting offered stuff by the company
    For example Michael Schenker used flying V guitars since the 1970s but to this day Gibson have NEVER offered him any kind of deal or signature model in spite of him possibly being the poster boy for that guitar. 
    Dimebag genuinely used Dean MLs long before there was any deal with Dean
    Clapton was a strat user long before Fender collaborated with him

Kind of became very sceptical of players who switched their loyalties every year to be the poster boy for a different company.
    Much like @OilCityPickups I used to get tons of requests for freebies based on being in a band or having a Youtube channel, but could picture my gear being flogged on eBay rather than used as the endorsa-matic player worked on his or her next free meal ticket. 
    I did have an artist who used my stuff in a band called Dirty Deeds who were signed to Steve Harris' Beast Records label, but the band had a lineup change and he got replaced with a player called Richie Faulkner (who we have ended up doing a few bits for much later on).

I guess I could have benefitted from a high profile user  but you have to shift quite a few units to just to cover the expense of giving stuff away

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Kind of became very sceptical of players who switched their loyalties every year to be the poster boy for a different company.
    And I think that has the opposite effect from what's intended - people know what guitars their favourite artists use, and if they get a reputation as an "endorsement shopper" then fans are even less likely to buy the guitars.

I think of Dan Donegan who I mentioned earlier, he went from PRS to Washburn to Schecter.  And remember when Paul Stanley was endorsing Silvertone?  It shows how low Kiss had fallen at that point.

Having said that, someone like Dave Mustaine changes endorsements but basically forces then to build the same guitar he had with the previous company.  And I guess there might be some people who have a collection of Mustaine Jacksons, ESPs, Deans and now Gibsons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    I have definitely copied ideas of guitars, amps and pedals from those whose tone I’ve admired. But that’s a concept rather than endorsement.

However - guilty as charged back in 1989. I went to see Neil Young play a great solo show, and he was vocal to announce only using his Pro Co Rat. I immediately sought one out (used of course !).

Still got it…

And have to admit that if Fender released an authentic Dean Ween Strat copy, I would be In Like Flynn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I bought a few sets of Newtone strings based entirely on what @ICBM wrote about them on this forum. They are top quality strings and I will buy more sets when they are needed. Does this answer the question posed by the OP 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    There are a few things I would buy, after some thinking. All artists I do like but I would be buying for the spec, not for the artist - EOB Strat, Isbell Tele, Nate Mendel P Bass (narrow neck woo!), Noel Gallagher ES-355 (genuinely slightly kicking myself that I didn't make that happen when they launched)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
     And remember when Paul Stanley was endorsing Silvertone?  It shows how low Kiss had fallen at that point.

@Philly_Q Paul Stanley pretty much owned that brand at the time and was having them made by a company like Fernandes or someone, much like Gene was with his Punisher and AxeBass models.

So rather than having fallen they were making bank on the stuff , but I agree that it seemed a step down from Ibanez and Washburn. Incidentally he moved from Ibanez/Hoshino because they wouldn't simply give him guitars to smash on stage.
    and with Washburn and Randall both being part of the same company he had a Randall amp , which he never used (still using the old 100W Superlead Marshall hidden from sight)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Philly_Q said:
     And remember when Paul Stanley was endorsing Silvertone?  It shows how low Kiss had fallen at that point.

@Philly_Q Paul Stanley pretty much owned that brand at the time and was having them made by a company like Fernandes or someone, much like Gene was with his Punisher and AxeBass models.

So rather than having fallen they were making bank on the stuff , but I agree that it seemed a step down from Ibanez and Washburn. Incidentally he moved from Ibanez/Hoshino because they wouldn't simply give him guitars to smash on stage.
    and with Washburn and Randall both being part of the same company he had a Randall amp , which he never used (still using the old 100W Superlead Marshall hidden from sight)
    Cheers @FelineGuitars I didn't know any of that!  I guess Kiss don't do anything unless they're making money on it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter