Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Do you buy gear because of endorsements? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Do you buy gear because of endorsements?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    Nah. I’m not easily ‘bought’ like that. I do love a demo though
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 162
    my first guitar was a strat because Jimi played a ‘Strat’ so I suppose that was an endorsement of sorts? In the main I wouldn’t but there are niche cases like Reverend’s Billy Corgan model where I’m exceedingly tempted to go for it out of my love for Siamese Dream. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    In the days when I bought stuff I might have tried something out because so-and-so was associated with it but the final decision to purchase was based on the product itself. 
  • I got into guitar far too late to be influenced by these kinds of things. In fact I am probably the opposite due to this. Now on the other hand if Werther's Originals were to produce a signature model!
  • I bought the mojomojo pedal after seeing Paul Gilbert using it. But,that was because there was plenty of coverage of him demonstrating it and I liked what it did. The biggest single reason was the price. If it was priced as a boutique pedal,I wouldn't have .
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I can't remember owning a single bit of signature gear, aside from a Les Paul, briefly. 

I've certainly bought gear because people I like have used it though. Sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    I can’t say I’ve ever encountered a proper endorsement.  But I’ve bought a pedal or two (me already being in the market) based on a compelling demo or two.

Oddly, I can never get them to sound as cool as the YT guys.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I've got an MP40 Geddy Lee pedal; I think that's about it.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    I don’t buy gear because a players name is on it as such. I have the NG Riviera but I would have bought that anyway based on the spec.

if I buy gear it’s usually because I know that piece of gear has formed part of a collective sound, not because one guitarist has used it or put their name on it. I got the AC30 based on its extensive use during the 90s with indie bands, not just because John Power used it with his Esquire or NG used it on DLBIA.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    As a big overview then no - The only guitar I've brought through the influence of a main player was a Yamaha SG1000 back in 1978, thanks to Santana - But equally at the time I did not like the Gibson Guitars or Fender Guitars to play - No PRS etc back then so the SG1000 was equally purchased on the basis I liked it and the best around back then - So a yes and no answer

Otherwise never brought on an endorsement basis
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I find this fascinating - as it would seem that endorsements in general only seem to persuade newer or younger guitarists to buy a product. 
    Of course I realise this forum might not be a representative slice of the guitar/guitar product buying public, but it does make one wonder at deals with the likes of Bonamassa or Hammett would be doing companies much good at hooking and retaining younger customers :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
    I have a Cort Matt Bellamy signature guitar which I got because I thought it was cool. I like Matt black as a colour, and it’s a modern and weird take on a telecaster. I do really like Muse, but I’ve actively avoided endorsed gear all my life because I don’t really get the appeal. For what it’s worth, I’m also selling this guitar too as I just can’t get into it. 

I did once own a Tremonti PRS SE single cut too, but that also didn’t last long before being sold, and I didn’t even know Tremonti was a person who had signature guitars at the time. I thought it was just the model name, like Les Paul. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I've bought a couple of signature/endorsed things, but because they were themselves interesting or useful things. One I have never knowingly heard the endorser, the other I am "meh" about. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    No.
    I don't want to sound like someone else no matter how much I like them. I want to sound like me no matter how much other people hate it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Endorsement deals mostly work for me as a brand awareness thing. 

If a musician I like uses a piece of gear and it sounds or looks good I absolutely will be interested in learning about the brand, which is especially powerful if I haven’t heard about it before. 

It doesn’t mean I’ll buy the exact product they endorse. 

Just my own personal observation but I feel like people are overstating how they’re swayed by endorsements here because it’s narrowed to specific signature gear/overt adverts. In show your guitar threads most of us have somewhat similar tastes, myself included. I do love a good Fender Strat or Tele - and I’m sure many of the artists I’ve seen use them have had some form of deal with Fender at some point. 

I’ll be completely honest part of why I became interested in PRS was due to the number of artists I liked who used them when I was younger. PRS have done pretty well for brand awareness in certain genres where you wouldn’t typically expect them to, and part of that is due to their artist endorsement program. 

Knowing an artist has had to pay an amount is actually a useful indicator too. 

tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    No.
    I don't want to sound like someone else no matter how much I like them. I want to sound like me no matter how much other people hate it.
    That's always the way I've looked at it too. I also would cringe at being on stage with someone else's signature guitar ... er ... well apart from a Les Paul ... but I think that endorsement is a bit time expired :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    I have a Reverend Greg Koch Gristle P90. I bought it for the variety of tones in it. The fact that Greg Koch endorses it made me think that it can’t be a bad guitar. It isn’t btw although I am still on the fence about the Fishman PUPs. Way too much output. 
  • Yes. I would totally check anything that an artist I like uses.  It necessarily buy, but definitely research and try out.
    For example, I have a hs pickup to go into my strat as that’s what Eric Johnson uses.
    I’m a big Holdsworth fan and have two yamaha dg amps, two magic stomps, two ud stomps and two Kiesel signature guitars, a rocket sig pedal and a few tc electronic boosters.
    They’re all great and unique in their own ways and I use them all the time. I’ve never tried the holdsworth Duncan pickup ( as it’s not actually what he used). 
    Would love a jem ( they play extremely well, and look so cool). Or pgm ibanez. Or an andy Timmons ibanez. They are all really expensive now, tho. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:
    Not interested. Especially so with minor stuff like strings.
    Are strings minor stuff? Over a lifetime as a guitarist I bet I have spent the price of a pretty good quality US guitar on strings ... surely they are a vital link in the chain of fingers to amp, to audience.. 
    They are in that it makes no difference to me what a 'famous' guitarist gets paid to tell you he likes.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Erm i have a Brad Paisley Tele and have never listened to a single Brad Paisley song i dont think. 

its a bloody great guitar tho
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    What about the J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster? I've read a fair few posts from people who own/ owned/ want one because it's a great guitar.

I'd own one because I like J Mascis AND good guitars. In fact I have also been looking at the Mascis Tele for the same reason...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Out of my gear, the artist link gear:

Flea Roadworn Jazz Bass (mostly because it's shell pink with exceptional pickups)
    Les Paul Tribute
    EBMM Albert Lee HH

I didn't buy any of those due to the artist. I just liked them.

Two guitars I'd like:

Johnny Marr Jaguar
    EBMM St Vincent

The Johnny Marr is probably the only one that has the artist link that does make a difference to me. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited August 2023
    Depends who the endorser is and what they are they are endorsing.

If it's Joe Rock Star and the latest in a long string of endorsed gear - probably not.

But I bought my Joe Bonamassa Wah  because I figured the guy has played way more gear than I have and knows what goes into a quality wah - plus I get the sense that he doesn't put his name to any old tat when it comes to guitar.

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    I have defiantly bought gear because of a 'sparkling demo', but not because of celeb endorsement. 

• CaseOfAce said:
    But I bought my Joe Bonamassa Wah  because I figured the guy has played way more gear than I have and knows what goes into a quality wah - plus I get the sense that he doesn't put his name to any old tat when it comes to guitar.
    Hmmm...I didn't get as far as the Christmas tree baubles ;)

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    CaseOfAce said:
    Hmmm...I didn't get as far as the Christmas tree baubles ;)

Oh dear god ... I want to un-see that!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I've bough strats because of Eric Johnson but don't have any at present as they dont suit me in SSS config.

One thing I did always want and still have due only to Tony Levin is a Stringray 5 string. I've since found the narrower spacing suits me well so it's a happy association.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    As a big overview then no - The only guitar I've brought through the influence of a main player was a Yamaha SG1000 back in 1978, thanks to Santana - But equally at the time I did not like the Gibson Guitars or Fender Guitars to play - No PRS etc back then so the SG1000 was equally purchased on the basis I liked it and the best around back then - So a yes and no answer

Otherwise never brought on an endorsement basis
    Not exactly endorsements, but here goes:

I bought a Gibson Firebird because I love Johnny Winter.  I ended up liking it, against my expectations.

I bought a Jim Root Tele because I liked its looks and specs (never heard of Root up until that point).  Huge mistake - it was a piece of crap and I got rid of it.

I would love an SG1000/2000 - I was a massive Magazine fan back in the day and I loved John McGeogh's playing and sound.  They were also the pinnacle of desirability in the late '70s and I still have that childhood hankering for one.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:
    The whole thing is just very dull
    I posted this in the wrong thread oops. Was meant to be the KDH one lol. I was so tired last night I passed out on the sofa
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The one thing I have found from reading this thread is I am definitely not influenced as I've barely heard of most of the 'influencers' mentioned.