Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). British Guitar Brands - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

British Guitar Brands

What's Hot

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Newtone Strings

Vyse, Flynn, Gartone, Lazy J,  Rift, etc. Small, but definitely mighty.

Oil City, Mojo, Alegree ...

also IronGear, Vanson,
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    For those wanting to see all of these brands in the flesh, the keys to @HarrySeven 's lock up are available with a small deposit.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    Gassage said:
    For those wanting to see all of these brands in the flesh, the keys to @HarrySeven 's lock up are available with a small deposit.
    I wondered what had happed to that spare set!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    If you want to find a lot of guitar makers, put "UK" into the search at JediStar - the guy who runs it is in Oz but seems pretty diligent at pickup up names, like I just found out I'm in there. Although my mate's outfit isn't so it's not 100%.
    You'll get results with "uk" occurring in a word but also to indicate UK-based, just have to sift a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    WezV said:
    I have a terrible photo collection at wezvenables.co.uk 
    You're missing at least 3 that I have, the f-hole strat and the two lap-steels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Kithara
    Yes!!

would you consider yourself a guitar brand or more of the parts supplier?
    I have “built” guitars in the past but I’ve been focusing on parts for the last 2 years. Although, from what my followers and buyers would have me believe is that if I built one or two guitars here and there they’d be snapped up. 

I guess for now I’m a parts supplier, that could change shortly though. 
    tFB Trader
    Calling Chapman or Vintage UK guitar brands is like calling Harley Benton a German guitar brand. By that definition any brand that has a distributor in this country - and that may or may not been built to specifications supplied in the UK - is a British guitar brand. That's not really fair on the UK companies that fight hard in a difficult market where materials costs have spiralled. I say this as a UK  musical instrument pickup manufacturer who is proud not to simply badge engineer or farm out production to China.  
    The irony is that no one in the U.K. seemingly wants to build “U.K. chapmans” and it didn’t look like any U.K. punter was willing to pay their prices either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @Danielsguitars is very much worth a mention.

Hand made, assembled, wired and painted in house. 
  • Haydn Williams, top-notch stuff and a nice guy

https://williamsguitars.co.uk/

Hell of a name that. I assume his parents were classical music fans as his name sounds like he could easily be a composer from a previous era.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Calling Chapman or Vintage UK guitar brands is like calling Harley Benton a German guitar brand. By that definition any brand that has a distributor in this country - and that may or may not been built to specifications supplied in the UK - is a British guitar brand. That's not really fair on the UK companies that fight hard in a difficult market where materials costs have spiralled. I say this as a UK  musical instrument pickup manufacturer who is proud not to simply badge engineer or farm out production to China.  
    The irony is that no one in the U.K. seemingly wants to build “U.K. chapmans” and it didn’t look like any U.K. punter was willing to pay their prices either. 
    One wonders if the fact that nobody much wanted to build UK Chapmans was that the margins would be too slim once Chapman's slice of the pie had been taken into account. Why effectively sub a brand that is trying to 'diffuse up market' when you could sell your own products and keep the whole pie. You could claim that Chapman has the name to sell instruments ... but a raw fact in business is that it's easier to start with an upmarket brand and sell a cheaper 'popular' version on your prestige value - than it is to start with a cheaper brand and move upmarket. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    @Danielsguitars is very much worth a mention.

Hand made, assembled, wired and painted in house. 
    Thanks for the mention Scott, yes everything is done by me and very small scale, i have no desire to increase productivity much over 12 or 15 guitars a year depending on which models etc, I'm also looking at fitting whatever uk made parts I can find or have made now.

I have a wish list article coming out about my pugilist offset model in September guitarist magazine, it's definitely marmite but the most comfortable guitar I have ever made so far, I've had mostly positive comments from my prototype builds so far.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Roger Mayer?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Gratuitous Ivison and Bartel plug (the latter is for sale!). 

IMG_1726.jpeg 534.5K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    No mention yet of:
    • Waghorn
    • Daemoness
    • Blackmachine
    • Carillion
    Tim
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    Status, though I think they've ceased trading since the owner retired.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited August 2023
    Has Damian Probett had a mention?
    And Seth Baccus?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    And Seth Baccus?
    I spent the afternoon with Damian not long ago, great builder and lovely guy, his latest rocket was off to Japan.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Philly_Q said:
    And Seth Baccus?
    I spent the afternoon with Damian not long ago, great builder and lovely guy, his latest rocket was off to Japan.
    I hope it had enough fuel on board.  Ho ho.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Haydn Williams, top-notch stuff and a nice guy

https://williamsguitars.co.uk/

Hell of a name that. I assume his parents were classical music fans as his name sounds like he could easily be a composer from a previous era.
    It's actually Welsh - my BiL had it as a middle name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited August 2023
    Kithara
    I'm not too sure that Chris would consider his company or products as "British".

https://www.kitharaguitars.com/
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600

Manson already mentioned but there are Hugh (electric) and Andy (acoustic) guitars out there.

Terry Pack (pack leaders)
    Roger Bucknall (Fylde)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Thanks everyone for your contributions 
  • Calling Chapman or Vintage UK guitar brands is like calling Harley Benton a German guitar brand. By that definition any brand that has a distributor in this country - and that may or may not been built to specifications supplied in the UK - is a British guitar brand. That's not really fair on the UK companies that fight hard in a difficult market where materials costs have spiralled. I say this as a UK  musical instrument pickup manufacturer who is proud not to simply badge engineer or farm out production to China.  
    I understand where you’re coming from, I think. But this is the parameters I’m am considering. Unless the design is not made here I consider the fact that is based here to make it a “British brand”. Mercedes makes cars all over. Apple makes phones in China. Tesla makes cars in China. IKEA is the same. So yeah, Harley Benton is a German brand to me. I’m not talking about made in the uk brands only.
  • Philly_Q said:
    And Seth Baccus?
    Probett maker of Aynley Lister guitars! 
    And Seth baccus of course
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    BigPaulie said:
    Kithara
    I'm not too sure that Chris would consider his company or products as "British".

https://www.kitharaguitars.com/
    Okay. I’m glad you cleared that up. 
  • I appreciate fine quality instruments as much as the next guy but I do think there is value in designing interesting guitars even though they are made elsewhere.  
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 420
    Steve Toon in Cheltenham.  Fantastic acoustic guitars. 
  • Dave Dearnaley in South Wales.
  • Hey,
    I am not a native of the lands belonging to the Royal family by right or conquest but...

...Obviously there is a thread of made in UK so I’ll pull from there too , but I am more interested in production items, not parts or small builders that do a couple of guitars a year....

Revelation
    Alan Entwistle
    Burns
    Brian May guitars
    PJD
    CREAM T
    PJE

On the acoustic side I know if 
    Faith
    TANGLEWOOD

What else guys? 

When you say say you're "more interested in production, not parts or small builders" I wasn't sure if you were solely referring to partscaster-type guitars, or components for guitars as well.

Assuming it's the former I'd like to mention Oil City pickups, The Creamery pickups, Alegree pickups and wiring harnesses, Monty's pickups and wiring, Bare Knuckle pickups, TinyTone wiring and scratchplates 

Along these lines there's also component manufacturers who design stuff here but manufacturer overseas, (which I see you were happy to include) such as Wilkinson for hardware (and pickups too) and Iron Gear and Tonerider for pickups.

Rajani amplifiers in London (I've never tried one but I was looking at their website the other day and I'm intrigued!)

And obviously the pedal (and stuff) makers, some of who have been mentioned such as Fredric Effects, Rainger, Thorpy, Bluewhale, then Bright Onion Pedals and the GigRig 

• Good lists here and I can't think of many others. 

Thorpy's collaborators spring to mind as not mentioned - Redbeard & Dinosaural.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires