Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Interesting stats on what happens to Lottery Winners - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Interesting stats on what happens to Lottery Winners

What's Hot
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vzgl/comment/chba4bf/?utm_name=ioscss&context=3&rdt=33874

Would I still want to win... of course.

Would I spend some of that winnings on top quality professional advice? Absolutely.

Would I got public? Not a chance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    I would still want to win, but the first thing I would do is put a LARGE sum away in a way that is locked away giving me a sustainable dividend or interest.

Then take care of family.

And then allow myself a lump sum to go fun...and then see what happens.  But the 1st point with locking away a lump sum is critical.  And no, I would not go public, that's just a crazy thing to do.

-------

Slightly different aspect of coming into a large sum of cash.

I am on a travel discord and someone on there has revealed he made millions from day trading (because he seems to be endlessly traveling all over and posting), from early investing in Discord platform itself to buying GameStop in the US when it was $4 a share to $400.  He was going to quit when he hit $5mil and then $10 mil but then it got to a point where it became like a computer game for him.  So he went from making a living from day trading to retirement in a very short time because of GME.  He "retired" not long after that when he shorted MDNA when it was at $4 (it is now under $1).  He revealed his net worth is at $27mil and spends his time travelling around the world, building a $2mil home in NYC and a $750k home in Tokyo.  Dabbling in mining crypto by installing solar panels for the purpose.

It seems he is not blowing his money like crazy since he also posts his food, and when he was in London earlier this month he posted Tesco Meal Deal for his dinner, since he still loves a bargain, despite his bank balance.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I don't run any of those risks, I don't do the lottery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited August 2023
    If I won the lottery I’d buy a period property in the Cotswolds, have a nice Porsche 911, nothing too flash, a basic Carrera with zero options in guards red, eat out most nights, buy whatever guitar takes my fancy, but nothing vintage/daft but most importantly look after those who mean the most to me. That could even extend to a couple of people on here, you know who you are. And those people would be invited to my house when The Damned played for me, in my big old garden. As well as Stiff little fingers and PJ Harvey, only if those artists fancied it of course.

As for going public, err, no. Why would you? 
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822

Would I spend some of that winnings on top quality professional advice? Absolutely.

You wouldn't need to it's all provided for you.

One of my buddies has a cousin (or close family member) who is a high ticket financial planner. 

Most of their work is on retainer from the lottery working with winners.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    This video actually has lots of overlap from that Reddit post.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    That info is about US lottery winners.  It is different with the UK lottery operated by Camelot.  For example, unless the law has changed here, then it would be impossible to calculate a statistic like how many winners went bankrupt as Camelot is not allowed to track the winners if they haven't agreed to publicity.  The most surprising activity to me was the small stream of winners who claim the prizes late with no publicity, and appear to have cut off all ties with their families/friends before doing so, thereby making a completely new life.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    What a legend. 

image.png 545K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    relic245 said:

One of my buddies has a cousin (or close family member) who is a high ticket financial planner. 

Initial advice is provided. Not long term.
  • Too many people chasing money in the belief it will solve their problems. The first problem is chasing money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 833
    Who'd have thought that people who regularly play a game with winning odds of 45,000,000 : 1 may not make the best financial decisions?!?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'd be building a recording studio somewhere
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I think I'd give 20%, equally split, to my sister and my two sister-in-laws, 30% to animal charities and have the rest invested in something ultra-safe.  I'd take an income of £100K pa (assuming this was possible with the amount I had to invest).

Either that or I'd pay handsomely for a contract on Donald Trump.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Emp_Fab said:

Either that or I'd pay handsomely for a contract on Donald Trump.
    What's the point in taking out the puppet when the puppet master is sitting in the Kremlin?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited August 2023
    Honestly I'd probably leave nearly all of it in the bank and, er, my ghost would pay a lot of inheritance tax.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I talking to a friend in California she told me that the National lottery jackpot had been up above $1 BILLION for several weeks.  One ticket won it about a month ago but nobody has come forward.  I can't recall what she said the California State lottery jackpot was, but our lottery jackpots are tiny compared with theirs.  One thing to consider though, is that they pay tax off the winnings, whereas our betting tax is added to the cost of the ticket so the actual winnings are tax free.  Obviously the interest immediately being earned would be taxable as would all substantial amounts given to other individuals.

A billion dollars really is an obscene amount of money to win, and the life changes that would have to be made as well as the constant worry about family being potential targets for kidnapping, begging letters, and so on would be a nightmare to cope with.  If I ever win on the lottery I hope it's enough to pay off my young brother's mortgage and set up an account for their daughter (they both have good jobs and pension schemes); pay off my older brother's mortgage and set up a retirement package for him; and buy a new house with a single level annexe for my old Mum to live next to me where I can look after her in her old age; and enough to supplement my pension in a few years so I can live comfortably but not necessarily extravagantly.  That's all I would wish for ...........  hold up  .............. "someones knocking at my door" ........

............. nope, wrong postcode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    if I won the lottery I'd buy myself a big turnip in the country.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    relic245 said:

Initial advice is provided. Not long term.
    Not quite true. 

If you choose no publicity then you get initial advice (plus of course things like completely new banking/accounts if you wish).  Then under the lottery operating law, Camelot has to forget you, though this has been challenged by court orders in the past. 

If you choose publicity then Camelot offers to maintain a relationship with you - you can see it as a winners club or a self-help group.  Financial advice is outsourced to whichever bank Camelot has an agreement with.

This might have changed in recent years as I no longer keep up with lottery operations.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that anonymity is not allowed in some US lotteries - it's a condition of entry that they can use you as promotional material if you win.  Can anyone verify or refute that?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Emp_Fab said:
    I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that anonymity is not allowed in some US lotteries - it's a condition of entry that they can use you as promotional material if you win.  Can anyone verify or refute that?
    That's my understanding too, not that I've looked up the specific regulations
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I think that's true yea. That's a mad policy.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Emp_Fab said:
    That's true for some states.

It almost forces you to disappear before announcing it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My only contact with the lottery was that my colleague Pete was the probation officer for one of the early winners. Not a likeable man (the lottery winner, Pete was fine). 
    I've noticed that the last Omaze winners appear in some publicity, cheery 2.4 kids type family. We want our big winners to be 'deserving' unfortunately not a characteristic of games of chance. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Gulliver said:
    Who'd have thought that people who regularly play a game with winning odds of 45,000,000 : 1 may not make the best financial decisions?!?
    This!! 

What a waste of money playing the lottery!! It's for dreamers who really think they actually have a chance in winning! The odds are stacked highly against players and are lining the pockets of Camelot. Most people I know who are still playing have lost more than they have win.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited August 2023
    I didn't tell friends or family about my win and I didn't receive any financial advice or guidance from the lottery. I was effectively abandoned and expected to sort it out by myself.

So I blew the lot. £40 scratchcard win spent at Tesco. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    An interesting read!

I would have no publicity, and I'm not really a splash the cash sort of person. I'd share with close relatives - my bro and sis + sister in law. My 4 grown up kids would all get a chunk, and are all probably sensible enough to use it wisely.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    If I win the £79m on the Euros tonight, the only person who would know would be my accountant. I wouldn't tell anyone including friends, partner, or family. Your relationship with people immediately changes the second they know you've got money.

"You've got £79m in the bank and all I'm asking for is £10k to cover a few debts"

If you give them the money, they'll always take advantage of you. If you don't, you're the asshole.

Whittaker quickly became the subject of a number of financial stalkers, who would lurk at his regular breakfast hideout and accost him with suggestions for how to spend his money. They were unemployed. No, an interview tomorrow morning wasn't good enough. They needed cash NOW. Perhaps they had a sure-fire business plan. Their daughter had cancer. A niece needed dialysis. Needless to say, Whittaker stopped going to his breakfast haunt. Eventually, they began ringing his doorbell. Sometimes in the early morning. Before long he was paying off-duty deputies to protect his family. He was accused of being heartless. Cold. Stingy.

It's not worth it, keep schtum.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah, I'm in the "tell noone" camp. I'd quit my job straight away, and tell my wife but nobody else for a good while, and I don't think I'd tell anyone any numbers ever. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited August 2023
    I worked with someone a few years back who once came out with "if you won the lottery, you'd upgrade your girlfriend, right?"

I later met his girlfriend. He was punching way above his weight in every regard - she was very pretty, very intelligent, and utterly charming.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    RiftAmps said:
    If I win the £79m on the Euros tonight, the only person who would know would be my accountant. I wouldn't tell anyone including friends, partner, or family. Your relationship with people immediately changes the second they know you've got money.

"You've got £79m in the bank and all I'm asking for is £10k to cover a few debts"

If you give them the money, they'll always take advantage of you. If you don't, you're the asshole.

Whittaker quickly became the subject of a number of financial stalkers, who would lurk at his regular breakfast hideout and accost him with suggestions for how to spend his money. They were unemployed. No, an interview tomorrow morning wasn't good enough. They needed cash NOW. Perhaps they had a sure-fire business plan. Their daughter had cancer. A niece needed dialysis. Needless to say, Whittaker stopped going to his breakfast haunt. Eventually, they began ringing his doorbell. Sometimes in the early morning. Before long he was paying off-duty deputies to protect his family. He was accused of being heartless. Cold. Stingy.

It's not worth it, keep schtum.
    The thing is, it is very hard to keep it quiet.  So you have the first choice - extricate yourself from your current family and friends then disappear with the money.  This used to be a fairly regular occurrence with the no publicity winners.

If you decide to stay it is very very hard to keep it quiet.  Most people are simply incapable of keeping such a huge secret, especially when they stop working but show signs of increased expenditure.  Keeping the secret will create mental health problems for most people.  The truth also seeps out.  Like wedding guest invitations, it expands relentlessly - "We have to tell her and so we have to tell him, otherwise she'll tell him", etc.  This is usually the reason folks choose publicity.  One big announcement and its all done.
  • Funny how most people take the ‘wouldn’t happen to me!’ approach!