Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Weirdest thing that's broken/gone wrong mid gig? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Weirdest thing that's broken/gone wrong mid gig?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Playing in a 2 guitar band, I was using basic stomp boxes, my mate had a G-system all programmed up.
    Half way through a drunken lass fell over and ended up sat on his G-system. For some reason, pressing multiple buttons at the same time wasn’t appealing to the pedal. It started giving out all kinds of weird, but amazing noises. No matter what he pressed, it wouldn’t revert to anything approaching a guitar sound.
    Unplug and restart got it back, by which time we’d finished the song (in fits of laughter) and were ready to start the next one.

@CountryDave G-Sytem user???  was that Tony ?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 752
    edited October 2023
    Playing in a 2 guitar band, I was using basic stomp boxes, my mate had a G-system all programmed up.
    Half way through a drunken lass fell over and ended up sat on his G-system. For some reason, pressing multiple buttons at the same time wasn’t appealing to the pedal. It started giving out all kinds of weird, but amazing noises. No matter what he pressed, it wouldn’t revert to anything approaching a guitar sound.
    Unplug and restart got it back, by which time we’d finished the song (in fits of laughter) and were ready to start the next one.

@CountryDave G-Sytem user???  was that Tony ?
    Nope, it was Happy Daz as Mrs Moff’s birthday. Rick will remember it well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We did have one gig at the Met Lounge in Peterborough, where the sound guy was from the "Just make everything louder than everything else" school of mixing. He kept fiddling with the sound to the point where we couldn't distinguish anything in the monitors because of the front of house sound bouncing off the far wall, so he kept turning the monitors up.

I've no idea exactly what caused it, but the drummer's monitor caught fire half way through the first song.

At a weirder gig, we had...guitar trouble. My pedalboard inexplicably died right at the beginning of our set so I played the whole set without it, I broke a low E two songs in (managed to replace it while the singer was chatting), the other guitarist broke his A string in the penultimate song and then all but one of his neck pickup ring mounting screws fell out in the last song (brand new Gibson LP Studio), leaving the pickup flapping against the strings.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Had a guy crash into our gear, flat on his face during, would you believe, “I’m Still Standing.”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    edited October 2023
    First gig with a band in 86. I was on bass, dep keys and brain dead singer. Support act went on first without a sax player who hadn't turned up.

The cunning plan was that we would start playing in the dark  the curtains would open and smoke would gently billow from the stage.

What actually happened was that a roadie charged with task of taping down loose leads had gaffa taped the guitarists lead to the floor rendering it immovable. Said guitarist also had fresh stitches in two right hand fingers.

Whilst the guitarist was losing a tug of war match someone stumbled into my bass detuning most of the strings. I'm tuning up at 250w with no idea why the guitar player hasn't started.

So after a lot of coughing we get some guitar. Curtains open and 10 minutes of smoke operation fills the entire hall. Guitarist has tape hanging from his lead and bleeding from two popped stitches. Sax player starts playing oblivious that he's in the wrong band. 

I left after another gig two weeks later where the drummer inexplicably forgot how to play.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter