Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Weirdest thing that's broken/gone wrong mid gig? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Weirdest thing that's broken/gone wrong mid gig?

What's Hot

Comments

• 1) Drop my Ibanez Jem on a stone floor in pub once.. had to stop myself from a cry/spew!
    2a) Line 6 Flextone II HD stopped working, had to play the rest of the gig with a POD v2 Bean
    2b) Line 6 PD HD stopped working, had to play the rest of the gig with a POD v2 Bean
    3) At St Annes festival 2 weeks ago, raised stage, large open sided marquee, seats to rear affair.. a cyclist pushed their bike across the dance floor to take a short cut!!
    4) Last Friday a fella came up mid-song and asked us to stop playing cos the boxing is on!!

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I was taking part in an acoustic session at a local pub, and the bloke playing his double bass had the headstock fall off mid song. No coming back from that one!
    Was it a Gibson?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    edited September 2023
    Same time I played the tent in the field, we got there to set up in the morning and the farmer had told us that when we arrived later we shouldn't drive on a certain bit of grass or the cars would get stuck in the mud.
    I came back later and couldn't remember where he'd said not to drive, but soon realised when my car was stuck in the mud.
    We couldn't get it out so I had to carry all my gear across the field, find the farmer and he pulled it out with his tractor a few hours later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 1) Drop my Ibanez Jem on a stone floor in pub once.. had to stop myself from a cry/spew!
    Was this the result of a 'sling it over your shoulder' manoeuvre?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I wish I had such an excuse.. nope, I was naive and wasn't aware of strap locks..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BodBod Frets: 1206
    On Saturday night, my wireless pack flew off my strap, disconnected from its cable and just disappeared - nowhere to be seen.  I quickly grabbed the output from my board, adjusted the amp and carried on.  I found it a couple of songs later in a gap between the stage and the wall.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Same gig.  A male and female couple on the dancefloor started kicking each other.  They were laughing initally and it was reasonably gentle but quickly escalated, with them taking full swipes at each other.  It was utterly bizarre.  It ended with the bloke stumbling backwards against the low stage and falling into the guitarist's mic stand kncking it over and sending his mounted iPad flying and narrowly missing his Helix.  Mic stand leg completely broke off.  She was later seen in tears outside. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I wish I had such an excuse.. nope, I was naive and wasn't aware of strap locks..
    How on earth do you get a Jem without a Cliplock attached? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I played bass in a jazz band outside in a posh hotel garden. Sitting on top of the amp and playing not notching that half of the amp started gradually sinking into the grass. At some point I came unbalanced and and toppled off, almost, but was saved by the keyboard player (mid song, impressive). Phew! Onto the next song quick! All wrong notes. Can’t make it sound any good. Angry keyboard player shouting changes at me. Stop the song. Find out that he’s whacked the transpose button on his keyboard. 
    I’ve got a few involving drummers, alcohol and falling off stools. But, haven’t we all…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I’ve got a few involving drummers, alcohol and falling off stools. But, haven’t we all…
    I played with a drummer who stopped mid-song to go for a piss.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bod said:

Yes, I've experienced both of those.

Although, to be fair, I had to run off stage once, which is part of the reason I never drink too much liquid before a gig.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bod said:

What...on stage?!! ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bod said:

What...on stage?!! ;)
    I'm pretty sure he considered it before running off to splash his Converse in an appropriate place.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I was playing bass in a pub covers trio when the guitarist/singer had some kind of mental wobbly caused by the pain killers he was on following a car crash. Fortunately it only lasted a few minutes.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    Using a backline at The Marquee in a Nordoff Robbins Charity Music Industry Battle of the Bands Competition and running the original Zoom 9002 into the clean channel of the hired Marshall for my sounds. 

In the middle/breakdown section of a rocky version of 'Heard it through the Grapevine..the FM version if you know it, it was dark and I hit what I thought was preset for my solo sound and was ready to go but I accidentally hit the metronome button and you can imagine that tinny and shitty sound going through that powerful PA. To make matters worse, it was out of time with the drummer and to the perplexed audience, they thought it was his doing/fault as why would a guitarist have a metronome???

Even though it didn't last for a long time, it seemed like a lifetime...OOPS! We did, however, come second out of 6 bands with the equipment hire company cheekily entering a band and having the best sound of the night and winning!
  • DefaultM said:
    Had a girl fall flat on her face on the dance floor, she got up holding half of each of her 2 front teeth, blood everywhere.
    How awful , poor girl 
  • Bod said:

not mid-song but mid-set here..
    My trading feedback

How on earth do you get a Jem without a Cliplock attached? ;)

Hahahaha yeah, contrary to belief they aren't standard!!
    My trading feedback

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    I once walked backwards on stage at a gig (Leeds Poly) and fell off the stage Spinal Tap style.  Ouch! 

Another time at Piggys Notion in Huddesfield we got changed down in the cellar and ran up the steps that went onto the stage…..

there was a door frame just befire the stage - manged to run straight into it and entered the stage with a full on nosebleed

another time one of our roadie mates was in charge of the flashbombs at the sides of the stage - got too close as he was hooking up the fusewire from the car battery and removed his eyebrows in a flash(literally) 

how i miss those days…..

• I played bass in a jazz band ... All wrong notes. Can’t make it sound any good. Angry keyboard player shouting changes at me. 

Par for the course isn't it?
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 239
    My favourite youtube fail: https://youtu.be/3O72lItS4OA?t=68 

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

My biggest fail at a gig was during one of those song endings where everybody strums and the drummer hits anything in reach, when my hearing cut out.

Fortunately just for a couple of seconds and it's never done it again, but it definitely put the wind up me and I quickly bought some earplugs.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Our drummer used to lose what little sense of timing he had completely if his wife dance with any other man while we were playing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    More human error than a breakage, but we did a gig as a 3-piece a little while back where I dragged out my old Zoom G3 to use its looper function on a couple of songs. It was a very quiet electro acoustic restaurant gig where you could hear a pin drop and we had the full attention of the audience.

I'm a bit rusty with the looper to be fair, so although it worked perfectly on the first song, halfway through the first verse of the second song (a ballad, naturally) the G3 started blasting out a recording of me tuning up followed by the intro of the first song again, which of course was in an entirely unrelated key. 

The only way I could stop it was to power it down and start again, so verse two was just cajon and vocals.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    p90fool said:
    More human error than a breakage, but we did a gig as a 3-piece a little while back where I dragged out my old Zoom G3 to use its looper function on a couple of songs. It was a very quiet electro acoustic restaurant gig where you could hear a pin drop and we had the full attention of the audience.

I'm a bit rusty with the looper to be fair, so although it worked perfectly on the first song, halfway through the first verse of the second song (a ballad, naturally) the G3 started blasting out a recording of me tuning up followed by the intro of the first song again, which of course was in an entirely unrelated key. 

The only way I could stop it was to power it down and start again, so verse two was just cajon and vocals.  
    My Line 6 DL-4 did almost exactly the same thing - I tried to record a new loop, but it played back the one from the last song instead, and nothing would stop it other than pulling the power plug out. Luckily it wasn’t on batteries!

Some sort of software glitch, not user error - I had it in non-true-bypass mode so the switches did nothing, and literally even turning all the knobs randomly made no difference. It worked fine after unplugging and restarting it, but I never trusted it again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• trolleytrolley Frets: 86
    Keefy said:
    I was playing bass in a pub covers trio when the guitarist/singer had some kind of mental wobbly caused by the pain killers he was on following a car crash. Fortunately it only lasted a few minutes.
    We had a singer who got to the pub at 4:30pm for an evening gig. He never learned the words - he had them written out. He was so pissed he couldn't read them. We launched into the last song - 'Ace of Spades' - he did the first verse, put the mic down & lurched off! The landlord was very unimpressed. As were we - he went a few weeks later.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    ICBM said:
    It worked fine after unplugging and restarting it, but I never trusted it again.
    Me neither, it's never left the house since!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited October 2023
    I can't remember who it was but ages ago someone posted on here about how he was playing in a pub and a bloke sitting close to the band on a bar stool slipped off it and launched the contents of a bag of skips all over him while he was soloing and to this day just thinking about it has me crying with laughter.
  • my wizard hat fell off
  • Playing in a 2 guitar band, I was using basic stomp boxes, my mate had a G-system all programmed up.
    Half way through a drunken lass fell over and ended up sat on his G-system. For some reason, pressing multiple buttons at the same time wasn’t appealing to the pedal. It started giving out all kinds of weird, but amazing noises. No matter what he pressed, it wouldn’t revert to anything approaching a guitar sound.
    Unplug and restart got it back, by which time we’d finished the song (in fits of laughter) and were ready to start the next one.