Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Death Pepper - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Death Pepper

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
anyone ate one of those MEGA death red hot peppers?

do tell
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    yeah, I have. They're really not as hot as they're made out to be. If you're going to try them.you may want to eat a few at once to get the true flavour.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Carolina Reapers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Would be a great heavy metal version of a RHCP tribute act. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Don't they make your heart RACE?
    tae be or not tae be
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Carolina Reaper? Yes. Not good. My friend made me a sort of salsa with them and it was so hot I couldn’t finish it. I left it in the Tupperware box for a while thinking I would come back to it, then a week later I accepted I wouldn’t be so tried to clean it out and it had wrecked all the plastic. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    I can handle hot food quite well, but used to be able to handle much, much hotter. I guess it's a tolerance thing? I stopped eating very hot curries because the toilet situation the next day was dire lol. I'd end up waking up early because my stomach was hurting so I stopped and while I can still eat something like a hot vindaloo, or my Bengali neighbours Eid food with the hot green chilli's, I tend to limit it because of the ring of fire. So yea, I'd be interested in trying one of these super hot chilli's to see how I'd get on. 

Someone set up a meet up, let's do it! 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    The reapers are stupidly hot.  Had some UK grown variants a few years back from one of the UK chilli enthusiasts and still have some pods in the freezer from then.  Even today and frozen you can instantly smell that tropical capsicum scent that typifies the scarily hot stuff.  They do taste amazing though in small quantities!
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Spicy in is spicy out im afraid, I limit it to a couple of scotch bonnets in a home done chilli these days, if i'm out for a curry, i err on the side of caution these days.
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • I love hot, spicy food, but as I've got older it's become less and less kind to my old insides. I'm still the "adds more chili" guy in our house, but I've got tired of having an arse like the Japanese flag the next day.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    'll settle for sriracha or chipotle sauce.
    Had some kimchi the other day, that was plenty hot, nice though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I once complained to just eat that my Szechuan from the Chinese takeaway was 2 hours late, and they made them refund 50%.
    I ordered again the next week and she’d obviously remembered because this time she’d finely chopped hundreds of birds eye chillis and mixed them throughout. That hurt the next day.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    DefaultM said:
    I once complained to just eat that my Szechuan from the Chinese takeaway was 2 hours late, and they made them refund 50%.
    I ordered again the next week and she’d obviously remembered because this time she’d finely chopped hundreds of birds eye chillis and mixed them throughout. That hurt the next day.
    Could have been so much worse...  :#
  • Fresh chillis are so much more painful than sauces or cooked chillis. 
    DefaultM said:
    Haha yeah I suppose it could. 
    We recently got a shard of metal in a takeaway curry. The manager called me and I’ve never had someone want to be my best friend so quick in my life. 
    I thought it was a drill bit, but he said it was from a scouring pad. They must clean their pans so thoroughly that the scourer falls apart. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • viz said:
    Would be a great heavy metal version of a RHCP tribute act. 
    Call it ‘Death Peppard’ and you could crossover with The A-Team too
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:
    Haha yeah I suppose it could. 
    We recently got a shard of metal in a takeaway curry. The manager called me and I’ve never had someone want to be my best friend so quick in my life. 
    I thought it was a drill bit, but he said it was from a scouring pad. They must clean their pans so thoroughly that the pan falls apart. 
    FTFY  ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I had a Fish soup with Orzo in a Portugese restaurant ........quite a large bowl.
    The manager asked if I would like to try a dash of chilli in it .......it was their own home made sauce .
    He told me it was Carolina Reaper but that didn't mean much to me at the time .
    He put a single drop from a pipette in the middle of the bowl ...it was half the size of my little finger-nail .I didn't expect to be able to taste it at all .......I actually thought it was his little joke;
    I couldn't eat the soup .........I am comfortable with very hot food but after 3 mouthfuls my mouth was numb and I was sweating 
      I've eaten plenty of hot chilli peppers ....these Reapers are something else .
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    As a kid we had a couple of Peri-Peri (African Bird's Eye Chili - Portuguese favourite) bushes in the garden.  I plucked a chili off the bush and munched it.  I don't know what was worse, sniffing on a discharged tear gas canister right up at my nose or eating that chili ..... oh yes I do .... I was helping at a barbecue once and somebody had smothered some kebabs in "Jonkanoo Sauce" made from Scotch Bonnet chilies.  It tasted spicy but not overpoweringly hot after cooking, but I made the mistake of licking my fingers after handling the raw sauce.  I could hardly breathe for a while.  If that's what Peri-Peri and Scotch Bonnet are like raw, I have no intention of letting a Carolina Reaper near my mouth, fingers, or eyes.  I don't see the point in anything that burny.  There's a discussion about this HERE.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I have some Carolina reaper hot sauce in the fridge. A couple of drops in the cooking makes for a challenging dinner. I have eaten it eaten it, I'm not sure why anyone would want to but my curiosity occasionally wins
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Morrisons used to do a great own brand ghost pepper sauce. Very hot but tasty too. Sadly they stopped doing it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Th Encona Reaper sauce is quite tasty but not especially hot
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Yikes! Tbf I prefer Dr Pepper 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    I love a hot spicy meal, but I can't see the point of using Carolina Reaper, other than curiosity or a macho competitive streak.
    They were bred specifically to break the world record for the hottest chilli, nothing directly to do with flavour.
    I have some Naga Bhut Jolokia (Ghost pepper) powder that I quite like in some curries & Jamaican dishes, it has a high level of heat accompanied by a strong fruity flavour, like a Scotch Bonnet on steroids. Not for everyone, but lovely in the right dish at the right time.
    https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/chilli-powders
    Still, it takes all sorts, so good luck to anyone that enjoys the Reapers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I love hot stuff, but my stomach doesn't sadly. I'm building up a tolerance with hot sauce a Facebook friend makes, really tasty
    My V key is broken
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Use sriracha instead of tomato ketchup.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    We had a works lunch recently at a BBQ place - Red Dog Saloon in Berwick St, London.  There was a chap there, maybe late 20s, doing their "Davy Jones Locker" challenge.  Eat 6 chicken wings cooked in ghost pepper sauce in 10 minutes without drinking or leaving the table and you get a silver coin which earns you 10% discount for life.  Get to the top of the leader board and its a gold coin and 25% for life.  Anyway, there he was, blue rubber gloves on, waitress timing him and he did it.  He walked past us to go to the gents, eyes streaming.  One of our group went to the loo 15 mins later and he was still in there, throwing up.  After another half an hour his mum and dad appeared!  They must have been nearby and he texted them.  Mum was talking to the waitress asking what he'd done, dad went to the loo to get him.  When he appeared he was somewhere between white and green and looking grim.  We left after about another 30 mins and he was sat outside doubled up clutching his stomach.

None of us were tempted to have a go...
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    ^ Yup,that kind of thing is just ridiculous
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Arse like the Japanese flag.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer