Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NTD (New tattoo day) UPDATED 29th Sept - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NTD (New tattoo day) UPDATED 29th Sept

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
So this has been almost 30 years in the making as I have never been set on what I wanted but after seeing the artists work, and playing around with a few ideas myself, last Friday I went to Studio 5.5.5 near Bath and got this slightly space-themed tattoo done as my first one ever. For anyone interested, Richard Beart is the artist, and I will be going back!

All the sections are particularly special to me, but they are not obvious to anyone who doesn’t know, which is exactly how I wanted it, but there are elements relating to my kids, wife and (now passed) Dad.

There will be more to come now I’ve got the bug and I’ll get some more done in this area and perhaps one on my inner, upper arm.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    That looks great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Makes a change from a heart with a dagger through it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I know nothing about tattoos - is that all done freehand? Looks like he's connected the initial drawing to a plotter to get those straight lines and perfect ellipses!
  • I know nothing about tattoos - is that all done freehand? Looks like he's connected the initial drawing to a plotter to get those straight lines and perfect ellipses!
    It’s done freehand but he copies over a transfer he’s already drawn and printed out which has been transferred to my arm. It’s bloody clever, having never seen the process before

• Sassafras said:
    Makes a change from a heart with a dagger through it.
    That’s next. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like the spiral galaxy , but its all really really brilliant & very unique, well done indeed 
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 241
    In contrast I just got a butt load of skulls done coz they are cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like the spiral galaxy , but its all really really brilliant & very unique, well done indeed 
    Thank you! The shapes around the galaxy are my kids initials in an alien script 
  • That looks painful, there's something to be said about being scared of needles.
  • That looks painful, there's something to be said about being scared of needles.
    I was very pleasantly surprised. It was more like gentle scratches only really smarting a bit when he started going over bits that were already done, and also getting closer to the inside of my elbow. Other than that, no problem at all
    I was very pleasantly surprised. It was more like gentle scratches only really smarting a bit when he started going over bits that were already done, and also getting closer to the inside of my elbow. Other than that, no problem at all

I'll take your word for it, it's a nice tattoo, but my fear of needles trumps my desire to get one, mainly because I don't want to get laughed at should I scream like a school girl and run out the shop as soon as the needles are brought out, I get all queasy and weak in the knees just seeing tattoos and injections, both real and fake being done on TV - I'm one of the people the nurses had a good laugh at while getting vaccinated as they though I might pass out.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    That looks painful, there's something to be said about being scared of needles.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I’ve never had a tattoo, but for the last few years I’ve thought that if I ever did get one it would be The Beatles bass drum + logo.

https://drummagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ringo_Ludwig_Artist_Sheet.jpg
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    That's excellent.

Looks like a Kandinsky painting
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    edited August 2023
    yocky said:
    That's excellent.

Thanks…I’m really chuffed with it! And surprisingly, even the kids love it and want me to get another!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    I hate needles in the form of injections, but tattoo guns are different. Shading/solid colour bits hurt though, as do thick weight lines!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Looks great..tattoo are awesome and space tattoo doubly so :)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Nice! I've got a space sleeve! Welcome to the club. 

Maybe one day I'll show you where Uranus is. (sorry) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022

Thanks, that's decided things for me.
    I'm never, ever getting a tattoo!
  • Very nice, lovely design and well done by the artist.

I'd love a tattoo. Perhaps one day I'll test for allergies and if clear I'll get one. I was offered a beautiful tattoo in trade for a guitar once, by an artist who used splotchy watercolour-esque designs and it hurt to turn it down... 
  • Nice! I've got a space sleeve! Welcome to the club. 

Maybe one day I'll show you where Uranus is. (sorry) 
    I look forward to it!! 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Nice work. I’m 39 and have been toying with wanting a tattoo for years. I always admire tattoos on others but like you can’t decide what I want, not to mention if I’m actually brave enough. I’m glad you’ve had a positive experience though. It’s certainly food for thought  :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    yocky said:
    That's excellent.

Thanks…I’m really chuffed with it! And surprisingly, even the kids love it and want me to get another!
    Tell people it's an intergalactic treasure map gifted to you as a reward whilst being probed in an abduction incident
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So, these weren’t the next planned tattoos (the one I was anticipating has been booked for the end of Oct) but my tattooist put up a picture of a flash piece that I just needed to have done!

Long story short…we have 2 cats…Squirt and Dory, both named after characters in Finding Nemo. As I’m sure you’ll all know, Squirt is a baby sea turtle and Dory is a blue tang fish. Rich put up the flash of a sea turtle and as I’ve got the rest of the family incorporated into the first tattoo, I decided I’d have it, as long as he could do a blue tang too. Off to work he went and these are what he came up with…slightly bigger than anticipated, but I guess that’s what happens sometimes…you really have to work with the artist on the day as to what works best.

So…I imagine this will be a bit love it/ hate it but here they are….

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So, these weren’t the next planned tattoos (the one I was anticipating has been booked for the end of Oct) but my tattooist put up a picture of a flash piece that I just needed to have done!

Long story short…we have 2 cats…Squirt and Dory, both named after characters in Finding Nemo. As I’m sure you’ll all know, Squirt is a baby sea turtle and Dory is a blue tang fish. Rich put up the flash of a sea turtle and as I’ve got the rest of the family incorporated into the first tattoo, I decided I’d have it, as long as he could do a blue tang too. Off to work he went and these are what he came up with…slightly bigger than anticipated, but I guess that’s what happens sometimes…you really have to work with the artist on the day as to what works best.

You’ve got an exceptional tattooist.  
    Thank you! The shapes around the galaxy are my kids initials in an alien script 
    Wow  didn’t realise ,it’s one of the most unique I’ve seen 
  • I’ve found the most painful place is the top of my fingers  between the middle joints 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5282
    edited September 2023
    @markslade07 Those are great. 
    I got a turtle tattoo recently too. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDavies said:
    So, these weren’t the next planned tattoos (the one I was anticipating has been booked for the end of Oct) but my tattooist put up a picture of a flash piece that I just needed to have done!

You’ve got an exceptional tattooist.  
    I certainly have….so lucky to have found him!

• @markslade07 Those are great. 
    I got a turtle tattoo recently too. 

Love that mate!