Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The very best rock vocalist - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The very best rock vocalist

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Some good ones already - Lou Reed should be there I'd guess

My vote's for Tina Turner
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I reckon if KDH started singing he’d be quite popular.

Mr Passion runs for cover back under his rock ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Another tremendous voice but not in a technical sense - Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit 
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    idiotwind said:
    Open_G said:
    He doesn’t particularly do rock, but Tom Jones can do anything. The power in his voice is pretty much incomparable. 
    This is a good clip of Tom Jones in a more rock context, with CSNY

Never seen that before, so many great singers in one setting.
    Couldn't find the clip I was looking for of Tom Jones on Later with Jools Holland performing 'Burning Hell' with Ethan Johns on guitar, just awesome!
    This'll have to do, but it lacks the sheer visceral energy of the performance I'm on about.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Remember when Kerrang! did an April Fool story where they said Tom Jones was joining Black Sabbath?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    edited August 2023
    Stevie Marriott

Paul Kossoff

Maggie Bell

Noddy Holder

And of course Ronnie James Dio

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    You are all wrong. Micky Jones is the correct answer.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    edited August 2023
    Rick Emmett has still got it even at 70.

I always loved Phil Mogg’s style and sort of unique delivery. Very underrated as a vocalist I think.

But I would have loved to have Robin Zander fronting my band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Steve Perry of Journey and have a listen to their Houston gig from the early 80e.

Brad Delp of Boston
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    Anybody who said bono needs to listen to that travesty of an acoustic/covers of their own stuff that u2( or just bono and the edge) released recently and change their mind  ;)
    my current choice would be Dio, Plant, Coverdale, Bon Scott, Diamond Dave and Rob Halford. Some technically better than others but all commanded the song and the stage. Ask me again tomorrow and I’ll have a different list. 
    SimonC said:
    Rick Emmett has still got it even at 70.

I've liked Triumph for 40-odd years but I've listened to them a lot in the last two or three years, and they've become one of my absolute favourite bands.  As a guitarist and singer, Rik Emmett is right at the top of the tree (and Gil Moore's a terrific singer too).

I saw a clip from 2022 where Rik's voice sounds a bit ropey - although his playing's still great - but this is from July 2023 and he sounds really, really good.  He's not singing so high nowadays, but he's adapted.  (Fast forward to 2:40 on the first clip, there's a lot of introductory chat...)

Here's that 2022 clip.  Rik as Kenny Rogers...

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Freddie is my second favourite singer in queen
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I liked Graham Bonnet when he was in Rainbow - But know little about him outside of that
  • I liked Graham Bonnet when he was in Rainbow - But know little about him outside of that
    I watched an interview with him on YouTube not long ago (I think it's Classic Rock Review or something like that). They have quite a few interviews with ageing rock stars and almost invariably they are bitter and/or  twisted. Last one was Suzi Quattro who was fine although was clearly in 'I want to plug my latest project and get this over and done with'  mode. Bonnet pretty much the exception, what a delightful and enthusiastic man happy to talk about his whole career. IIRC he has epilepsy (I don't think this was covered in the interview) which ended up limiting his career to some extent. Yes,  great singer and some better songs than the well known ones with Rainbow in his back catalogue. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I liked Graham Bonnet when he was in Rainbow - But know little about him outside of that
    I watched an interview with him on YouTube not long ago (I think it's Classic Rock Review or something like that). They have quite a few interviews with ageing rock stars and almost invariably they are bitter and/or  twisted. Last one was Suzi Quattro who was fine although was clearly in 'I want to plug my latest project and get this over and done with'  mode. Bonnet pretty much the exception, what a delightful and enthusiastic man happy to talk about his whole career. IIRC he has epilepsy (I don't think this was covered in the interview) which ended up limiting his career to some extent. Yes,  great singer and some better songs than the well known ones with Rainbow in his back catalogue. 
    I also like him because he has turned unto John Shuttleworth.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KrisGee said:
    There are loads of classic and obvious choices but I always though that Danny Bowes of Thunder doesn't get the full recognition he deserves. Always sounding great on albums but his live stuff is really a top banana. 

I fear we may have seen Danny belt them out for us for the last time. It seems he's still battling with recovery from his stroke last year. But if he does make it back on stage, the Thunder choir will lift the roof off.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    I also like him because he has turned unto John Shuttleworth.

Strewth!!!  I wouldn't have recognised him, but he is 75.  he does come over as a really likeable guy yes - I enjoyed that.
    Habanero said:

I fear we may have seen Danny belt them out for us for the last time. It seems he's still battling with recovery from his stroke last year. But if he does make it back on stage, the Thunder choir will lift the roof off.
    I believe he had an accidental fall and suffered a serious head injury - I don't think it was a stroke, mercifully.
  • Offset said:
    Habanero said:

I believe he had an accidental fall and suffered a serious head injury - I don't think it was a stroke, mercifully.

Unfortunately it was a stroke, and was revealed on the band's Facebook about a month ago. Whether the fall was a symptom or the cause I don't know.

Habanero said:
    Offset said:
    Habanero said:

Unfortunately it was a stroke, and was revealed on the band's Facebook about a month ago. Whether the fall was a symptom or the cause I don't know.

Oh no... that isn't good.  I don't mind Thunder but DB's show on Planet Rock is essential listening for me.  Dry, self-deprecating and plays some good tunes.  I really missed him while he was recovering and it was great to have him back.

He does have a top set of lungs - it'd be sad if he doesn't return to live performances.
  • Offset said:
    Habanero said:
    Offset said:
    Habanero said:

Oh no... that isn't good.  I don't mind Thunder but DB's show on Planet Rock is essential listening for me.  Dry, self-deprecating and plays some good tunes.  I really missed him while he was recovering and it was great to have him back.

He does have a top set of lungs - it'd be sad if he doesn't return to live performances.

I think initially he was having trouble speaking, as the band launched a campaign to fund some private speech therapy. I and many others gave, and they hit the target in just a few days. The rest was donated to the Air Ambulance that was said to have saved his life.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter