Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The very best rock vocalist - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The very best rock vocalist

What's Hot

Comments

• Steven Tyler , Kip Winger , Brett Michaels, joey belladonna 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    There's a current live Sabbath album with Gillan, ooh jeepers it's bad. Born Again wasn't terrible but he was a bad choice for that back catalogue. Slightly struggling to imagine Celine belting out War Pigs but maybe...
    I remember seeing an interview with Gillan about his time with Sabbath. He got called in at fairly short notice and had no clue about the lyrics. No problem said the band, we’ll put everything on cards and stick them to the stage or the back of the monitors. “Which worked great in rehearsal. Then for the actual gig they turned on the smoke machines.”  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Came in to say Steve Winwood, then saw @shugz had beaten me to it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    There are loads of classic and obvious choices but I always though that Danny Bowes of Thunder doesn't get the full recognition he deserves. Always sounding great on albums but his live stuff is really a top banana. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Has anyone mentioned Matt Kadane yet?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • For me it’s loads of singers as they all have merit in one way or another, but if it’s old school classic rock singers then it has to be amongst Paul Rodger’s, his phrasing was superb. 
    David Coverdale power and depth. 
    Ian Gillan for the screams and excitement and a touch of old school rock and roll in his voice. 
    All round rocky vocalists who could rock but also had range and ability for other genres then you have to go Elvis and Freddie. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    PJ Harvey.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This guy can still sing, but his power in the 60s was awesome . 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Kilgore said:
    Are Future Islands rock?

Either way, I like Samuel Herring he has a very distinctive 'rock' voice.
    Synth pop. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    I would add Skin from Skunk Anansie to the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    If you're talking technical singers it's probably Freddie, or possibly Maynard James Keenan. Also Chris Cornell had amazing tone, soul and range, Amy Lee of Evanescence is also amazing, but if you're talking a 'vocalist' it means different things.

Kat Bjelland of Babes in Toyland, Courtney Love of Hole were not technical singers but we're phenomenal female rock vocalists for the punk rock, riot grrl sound. Kurt Cobain was the archetypal grunge singer, his scream was full of anguish, heart and rawness. Ian MacKaye is an important vocalist in the post ounk/hardcore scene. Zach De La Rocha could scream and sing in anger like no other, and is one of the best rappers of all time, probably the best in that genre. Billy Corgan had an amazingly unique and instantly identifable sound. But none of these are amazing technical singers but are amongst the best vocalists in their genre, some of all time. 

I'm not interested in technical vocal ability beyond a certain point if it doesn't serve the song. As an example, would you want Freddie Mercury on Shitlist by L7 or Donita Sparks? He couldn't do what she did, and vice versa, so they were perfect for what they were trying to do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Steve Overland - incredibly underrated vocalist with the UK melodic rock band FM. Still can’t believe they never became big in the late 80’s.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    He's been mentioned elsewhere, but one of my fave rock voices of all time belonged to the wonderful Jimmy Dewar.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I don't think he ever made it big, but I saw a band called Liaison as a support act at the Marquee. Their vocalist was Howard (someone). An unbelievable voice, one of the best I've ever heard. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Again unsure what counts as 'rock' these days but my choices are

Roky Erickson, Jim Morrison, Liam Gallagher, Mick Jagger, Gord Downie,
    Michael Stipe, John Fogerty and many more. It's subjective...
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    Open_G said:
    He doesn’t particularly do rock, but Tom Jones can do anything. The power in his voice is pretty much incomparable. 
    This is a good clip of Tom Jones in a more rock context, with CSNY

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    So many great calls in this thread and I think the resounding response of Freddie is right on the money. 

As as for folks around today, my vote would be for Grace Potter or Sam Ryder. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Rod Stewart
    Yes ........
    marred by his later reincarnations of quasi -disco and soft soap ballads but in the days of the Faces he was incredible
    I actually think he has done a great job with the later-life American songbook stuff
  • I like Corey Taylor. Also like Freddie Mercury, Chester Bennington (Holy moly was he something live) and Matt Shadows. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Currently,  Jake Rogers of visigoth
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Meatloaf innit
  • idiotwind said:
    Open_G said:
    He doesn’t particularly do rock, but Tom Jones can do anything. The power in his voice is pretty much incomparable. 
    This is a good clip of Tom Jones in a more rock context, with CSNY

Never seen that before, so many great singers in one setting.
  • Thks for posting.Neil looks about 15  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Ronnie James Dio, Chris Cornell, and for singing guitarists, Richie Kotzen and Rik Emmett.

Currently I like Phil Pendergast of Khemmis and Brendan Radigan of Magic Circle and Sumerlands.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Don't think anyone's mentioned James Hetfield yet.  In a genre where cookie monster vocals abound, he can actually sing.  He's in great form on the new album.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:
    Ronnie James Dio, Chris Cornell, and for singing guitarists, Richie Kotzen and Rik Emmett.

Currently I like Phil Pendergast of Khemmis and Brendan Radigan of Pagan Altar, Rival Mob, Battle Ruins, Torture Chain, Magic Circle and Sumerlands.
    FTFY ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 36
    Steve Marriott, Reg King from The Action and Colin Blunstone from the Zombies.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:

Currently I like Phil Pendergast of Khemmis and Brendan Radigan of Pagan Altar, Rival Mob, Battle Ruins, Torture Chain, Magic Circle and Sumerlands.
    FTFY ;)
    I was actually going to say "amongst others". ;)  But I haven't listened to his more hardcore stuff, not really my kind of thing.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Probably Freddie really, but Chris Cornell takes it for me. 
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Freddie then Chris Cornell
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.