Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Double boost/OD recommendations - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Double boost/OD recommendations

What's Hot
McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
edited August 2023 in FX
A mate of mine (who one of these days will join TFb no doubt) asked me for some recommendations. He's wanting to tidy up his pedalboard and is thinking about a dual o/d pedal rather than stacking two. He currently uses a Boss OD3 and a Freakish Blues Alpha Drive and is looking for a single pedal that has OD and boost function - or at least two flavours of drive. 

He plays in a soul band and normally uses a Swart amp or Blues Cube and goes mainly clean but looks to push it into drive at times. 

I'm clueless about this kind of thing so thought I would put it to the pedal lovers on here. Any recommendations??

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 202
    How about two good mini-pedals? A Wampler Tumnus combined with a Keeley Katana Mini would be a good starting point. Then when (not if) he decides he'd like another combo he only has to change one at a time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    If I had a board now with no drive pedals I’d personally try the Strymon Sunset, as it seems to have a lot of options.

There’s so many these days though… Does he have a budget and any particular sounds in mind?

• Not sure on the guy's budget, but if he's looking to dabble in something cost effective then the Nux twin OD pedals look like cracking value.

There's the Queen of Tone, which is a Klone and a Bluesbreaker style OD on one pedal - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230105398387008--nux-queen-of-tone-dual-stacked-overdrive-pedal

And the Ace of Tone, which is a TS and a Bluesbreaker - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230621406899008--nux-ace-of-tone-dual-overdrive-pedal

You can change of the order of what comes first on both units, so they look super versatile. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Foxrox ZIM! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Boss JB-2 Angry Driver

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    B'star HT-Dual or the much more compact LT-Dual.

Dave.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited August 2023
    I’ve got a bunch of dual drives now, but from your description I recon a @ThorpyFX  The Dane would be a good choice. High quality and readily available.

FWIW I’m currently using either a Paul Cochrane Tim (spendy and tricky to get hold of in the UK) or my latest squeeze, A Boss SD2, which is ace but I think the lead channel on that might be a bit vicious for the stated application.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

The Brownie Protein is nice, a light drive (BB) and a mid gain drive (ODR-1).

The drive can be used as a cleanish boost.

It's quite expensive, you could probably recreate cheaper, but it is a good pedal.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    If I had a board now with no drive pedals I’d personally try the Strymon Sunset, as it seems to have a lot of options.

There’s so many these days though… Does he have a budget and any particular sounds in mind?

Thanks for the replies so far folks. 

I'm not sure about sound other than what I've already stated (funk/soul, occasionally boosted into low/mid gain grit). Budget shouldn't be an issue - he's got some very tasty guitars indeed and I don't think Swarts come cheap...

Thanks @Flanging_Fred ; - good vid and good shout on the Dane. 

Oh and David - if you do read this, why don't you sign up to the Fretboard. We're (mostly) a good bunch...

;)  

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Very few things like an OD-3 aside from a BD-2
    He may be better off sticking with those if he likes what he has.

The Truetone VSXO is a poor man's Browne Protein and sounds great if you like a TS & ODR-1
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Analogman King of tone and the kingtone duellist are both amazing pedals and I’ve loved using both of them and haven’t found another double pedal that can compete.  Sacrilege to say so on here but I prefer those to any of the Kingsley pedals I’ve owned or tried.  
  • My immediate thought based on 'soul band' was the Cornerstone Gladio, although Cornerstone make 3 different double ods that are perhaps worth investigating, including one with a klon side. 

The aforementioned Dane isn't a bad shout either, particularly if he wants something from a great and thoroughly decent UK company. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Surprised to see just one nod for the KoT, but I suppose they aren’t that easy to come by. I think it’s an excellent pedal for boosting without changing your core tone. Good options for levels of drive too. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1239
    tFB Trader
    Freakish Blues Alpha Drive

Theres A Name Ive Not Heard In Many Years GIF - Theres A Name Ive Not Heard  In Many Years - Discover  Share GIFs
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Sporky said:
    Foxrox ZIM! 

Yep.

Nobody listens to us, Sporky.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Your mate should add a Joyo Ultimate Drive alongside his Freakish Blues pedal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    Check out the ThorpyFx Heavy Water. Amazing 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    I've loved my ThorpyFx The Dane from the first day that it arrived. I have an early one that has Danish Pete's DNA inside it……well it is signed by him.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I have the LT-Dual.  I use the channels "the wrong way round", but that is apparently what quite a few folk do.

It has an interesting switching system which makes it useful.  You can use either channel without the other engaged.

Queen of Tone looks good - I think I'll keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    I've loved my ThorpyFx The Dane from the first day that it arrived. I have an early one that has Danish Pete's DNA inside it……well it is signed by him.
    Ditto me. 

The Dane is a nest perfect pedal for me, and I’d recommend it wholeheartedly for this use case. 

The boost is immense, and the OD is moderate until you add the boost and the small amp saturation factor. Magic. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    edited August 2023
    Ddigger said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I have the LT-Dual.  I use the channels "the wrong way round", but that is apparently what quite a few folk do.
    I had it for a year. I used the right channel for rhythm and the left one for lead (wrong, I suppose) and found ‘British’ EQ on the left side of the ISF knob (wrong again?). 

It wasn’t for me, but the pedal sounded much better than most other drive pedals I’ve had since. And it sounded deliciously broken on a dying battery; in fact, I have been designing circuits to bring back that broken sound, with hilarious results. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Yep, I use ISF the wrong way as well.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    My Sinvertek shown on here in the Classifieds will do that. Normall sized pedal with lots of gain options and another click will turn into a boost
    Thanks folks. He ignored me and pretty much everyone else and got a Strymon: the Sunset I think. I was really pushing him to get a Dane (so I could borrow it). 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

I'd stick with two pedals as I've never found any dual pedal I was 100% happy with.

However if that's the route you want to go then Box of Rock is compact and decent or Double Rock if you want two drives.

Given the current pedal is an OD-3 which is somewhat unique I'd go for the Angry Driver as @ICBM suggests. It's got the BD-2 which is the closest to an OD-3 and an Angry Charlie which is not far off an OCD (Which IIRC is what the Freakish Blues is a clone of) 

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 349
    edited September 2023
    Ddigger said:
    Yep, I use ISF the wrong way as well.
    No you don't, Blackstar label/market it wrong!

Always been massively confused by this. I had the dual and still own a Fly and the Debut 50R and both sound more British the wrong way round. About 10 or 11 o'clock or a bit before halfway is most marshally to my ears.

Anyway, apologies for the thread hijack.

Another vote for the Boss Angry Driver too. Just get a little remote switch to go with it and you're set for anything. Really regret moving mine on.

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 140
    Hudson Broadcast  - the dual footswitch version is very versatile.

If pedalboard space saving is required then the Boss Angry Driver.