Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can you put nylon classical strings on a steel string guitar? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can you put nylon classical strings on a steel string guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    I mentioned in my previous comment that nylon strings on a steel string guitar would "most likely sound like one of those very shallow bodied electro-acoustic nylon string guitars that are really intended to be played amplified".  The Gibson Chet Atkins CE/CEC "Classical Electric" guitars, and similar types by Godin, Ibanez, Fender and others are more like chambered solidbodies with a soundboard glued on than they are hollow instruments, and as such the acoustic sound from them is quiet, not very resonant, and with little projection at all. In contrast I have a Freshman (Manuel Ferrino) MFAC Slim Classical with a Fishman under-saddle piezo strip that is built as an acoustic guitar, but has a very shallow body that's just more than an inch deeper than a thinline Tele.  Although it does produce some natural classical sound when unamplified, it's lacklustre and lacking in projection until it is amplified.  That was the style of guitar I was referring to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    BillDL said:

The Gibson Chet Atkins CE/CEC "Classical Electric" guitars, and similar types by Godin, Ibanez, Fender and others are more like chambered solidbodies with a soundboard glued on than they are hollow instruments, and as such the acoustic sound from them is quiet, not very resonant, and with little projection at all.
    The Gibson is actually almost entirely solid - it did apparently have some chambering but largely for weight reduction, rather than any acoustic properties. I nearly bought one recently, in fact - but I decided not to as it's purely a stage guitar, it has next to no acoustic volume, not even enough for a satisfying home-practice sound. It was also really quite heavy, despite the supposed chambering.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter