Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Guns N Roses song - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Guns N Roses song

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2517
edited August 2023 in Music tFB Trader

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    erm... It's certainly  erm... new.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    erm... It's certainly  erm... new.
    Title amended   :D   

From what I read this was a rejected Chinese Democracy era song..   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I like it , especially the backing vocals during the chorus as they remind me of ‘So you wanna be a boxer ?’  from Bugsy Malone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited August 2023
    I’m a mega fan ,  im not sure what I think though . It’s not bad  need to hear it a few more times 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Richard Fortus doesn't get much screen time, but I still spotted the lovely Ivison Dakota One   ;)  Nice :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Richard Fortus doesn't get much screen time, but I still spotted the lovely Ivison Dakota One   ;)  Nice :+1: 
    Fortus is a man who knows his place.  And collects his paycheck (American spelling).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Yeah its not terrible just a bit Meh for me.. 
  • Pointless and undeserving of a second listen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Much better than I expected
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited August 2023
    Tis ok, the song could have been a LOT worse - production seems a bit flat and undynamic though?

Sounds like a submission for a Bond soundtrack.

Also, Is AXL working the wah Pedal himself?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 206
    Pointless and undeserving of a second listen.
    Agreed. As with the other recent singles I won’t (deliberately) listen more than once. Shame.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    God bless compression
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    It sounds more like something off Chinese Democracy than anything older.  And that's OK.  The guitar solo section would've been much better with Buckethead or Ron Thal.
  • It’s not for  me. 
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited August 2023
    I think it's alright it's just not the gnr that I remember.
    Axle sounds good. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    I’m not going to lie, I really like it.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I really like the second half of the song, first bit sounds like they've used a part from another song and started there by accident!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    Boromedic said:
    I really like the second half of the song, first bit sounds like they've used a part from another song and started there by accident!
    There is something very "familiar" about the piano. 
    tFB Trader
    SpoonMan said:
    Boromedic said:
    There is something very "familiar" about the piano. 
     Yes I thought that too.. Reminds me of a riff from a Supergrass song.

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    GoFish said:
    Tis ok, the song could have been a LOT worse - production seems a bit flat and undynamic though?

Sounds like a submission for a Bond soundtrack.

Also, Is AXL working the wah Pedal himself?
    Hah, that's weird - I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Maybe it's the production or the passage of time or combinations of all sorts of things - it just lacks teeth. That nasty, cocksure swagger they had back in the day that put them in another league.

I'll give it another bash and look out for more, uber-fan here. I have to remind myself that expecting a bunch of guys in their 60s to write another Nightrain is grossly unfair :).

I do think Adler was a massive part of their sound though.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Double yes on Adler - The older I get, the more I appreciate his feel.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Every big band eventually either 1) splits up, 2) goes weird in an effort to stay interesting, or 3) just ends up making bland mid-tempo meh songs that no record company would normally touch if they weren't already massively famous. 

U2 did 3 via 2, Rolling Stones did 3, Radiohead have done 2 a couple of times, Beatles did 1, Coldplay tried 2 but not hard enough so have been firmly at 3 for at least a decade. GnR did 1 then 3, though arguably were already a way towards 3 with UYI. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2023
    Man, I like the UYI Guns, both 1 and 2 have some real gold on there, yes two albums was one too many but that's by the by I guess. You have to remember too, some of them songs were written before even Appetite was done, that was just there best and most finished songs at the time. Appetite is gold from back to front of course unlike the Illusions.

They absolutely lost something when Adler and then Izzy left but they had enough songs in the can to make them great still up to the Spaghetti Incident. The car crash afterwards was insane of course.

This is the best new song they've done since Duff and Slash were back in the fold, who knows if they do an album whether it would be any good but I suspect they'll keep Axl as far away from doing an album as possible joy

Not surprisingly to many on here, I think Metallica and to a degree U2 bucked the trend from Mike's analogy above. They both did a bit of 2, then 3 and have made some excellent new music after that. U2 with the albums HTDAAB and then No Line On The Horizon, and Metallica have written some classics on their last 2 LPs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Boromedic said:
    Man, I like the UYI Guns, both 1 and 2 have some real gold on there, yes two albums was one too many but that's by the by I guess. You have to remember too, some of them songs were written before even Appetite was done, that was just there best and most finished songs at the time. Appetite is gold from back to front of course unlike the Illusions.

They absolutely lost something when Adler and then Izzy left but they had enough songs in the can to make them great still up to the Spaghetti Incident. The car crash afterwards was insane of course.

This is the best new song they've done since Duff and Slash were back in the fold, who knows if they do an album whether it would be any good but I suspect they'll keep Axl as far away from doing an album as possible joy

Not surprisingly to many on here, I think Metallica and to a degree U2 bucked the trend from Mike's analogy above. They both did a bit of 2, then 3 and have made some excellent new music after that. U2 with the albums HTDAAB and then No Line On The Horizon, and Metallica have written some classics on their last 2 LPs. 
    I honestly wavered with U2 but I don't think there's much denying it's been generally diminishing returns post-ATYCLB. But I don't see them having another real resurgent (as much as I'd give almost anything for one)

But this GnR song is still pap :P 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Boromedic said:

Absolutely agree with all of this. The swing was Izzy, Duff, and Steve Adler. No question. Apparently Tom Zutaut used to take the piss out of Adler, calling him 'Disco Boy' or some such (I wouldn't have dared :lol:) but look what they lost after he was booted. Mind you, you'd have to go some to get kicked out of Guns for getting too high.

The writing was on the wall really, but I disagree with @stickyfiddle a little. I think if five unapologetically revolting herberts like them turned up circa 1989, 1990 with a cache of material like the Illusions records, Geffen would have signed them in a heartbeat.

Then the Spaghetti Incident of course. That was deffo a number three. Never mind the hour of my life spent listening to Chinese Democracy that I'm still determined to sue Axl Rose for.

It's nice to see them playing together. I enjoyed the Glastonbury set, got a beer and cranked the TV - couple of hours well spent.
    Hey, I mean no disrespect to them as a legacy act - they're clearly a huge draw and sound great live. But they're a 100% legacy act. 

UYI might have made a good single record after heavy editing, but there's no way anyone in 1991 is putting out a big single that's 9 minutes long in 1991. But since then (32 years remember!) there's been absolutely zero to write home about
    edited August 2023
    Hey, I mean no disrespect to them as a legacy act - they're clearly a huge draw and sound great live. But they're a 100% legacy act. 

UYI might have made a good single record after heavy editing, but there's no way anyone in 1991 is putting out a big single that's 9 minutes long in 1991. But since then (32 years remember!) there's been absolutely zero to write home about
    No worries, I didn't for one minute think you did! The song's not great and they are absolutely a legacy act. Fun to watch but I've not set my calendar reminder for any album release dates even as a mega fan.

For me, Slash's solo stuff is a better bet nowadays, Myles Kennedy live does Axl better than Axl. Velvet Revolver had more of G'n'R in, now I come to think of it lol
    Yeah, I actually really liked the first VR record. It still sounded like they were trying (whichever of them was in it - Slash, Duff, Sorum I think?)

And I zero against legacy acts - Stones, McCartney, U2 are all unquestionably there and all unquestionably fantastic to go and see play. Muse aren't far off either.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    I really liked VR as well, even Libertad had some decent stuff on it. The first album had some really awesome rock songs on it like Slither and Fall to Pieces, some great signature Slash playing on that in particular actually, which harks back to his best in GnR.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Slither was an immense rock tune and a very fun riff.

I really like Slash's last two albums with MK, and they were/are excellent live.

GnR as a collective, no new music required.