Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 'Amp-like drives' - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

'Amp-like drives'

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
edited August 2023 in FX
So many drives refer to being 'amp-like' in their response, MIAB, Dumble-style overdrive, designed to sounds like a pushed Fender amp, tube screamer etc.

So, why not just get a master volume amp with 2 channels and just use that? Then you have real amp-drive, which is better, right?

In my experience pedals hardly ever sound as good. I reckon all you need is a 2 channel amp, one overdrive pedal to push the clean channel and an eq or volume pedal to put in the loop for a solo boost.

Thoughts?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    The strangest part of it is that most people will use these through an amp, rather than a flat response speaker. So you get say a MIAB through a Fender, which surely defeats the point?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    edited August 2023
    I rarely use dirt pedals except for solos. 

With most of my amps I use an attenuator so that I get the early break up crunch of the output valves. I also use the master volume gain on my 70s JMP and Genz Benz Black Pearl. They all sound better than pedals to me. 

A dirt pedal on top of natural amp dirt is much better than clean and produces a thicker richer more harmonically complex dirty tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So if you've got a Fender amp and want an approximation of a Marshall drive tone for a couple of tunes, just buy a 2nd amp?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I think there are too nany variables to decide which is best. I've heard people get great tones from pedals or amps, or modellers. Also people have different requirements for different sounds depending on their gig. I could use a simpler set up than I do but I like all the different options. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The best sounds I have had have been a Marshall superlead or my AC50. Both have no gain control, so I always used an attenuator for that classic sound. 
       Every amp I’ve owned with a gain control, including Marshall and Friedman have still sounded better pushing the power amp with an attenuator. But then there’s no headroom left for volume boost solo’s, so then you need a re-amper to accommodate this.
       I can now match the sound I used to get by stacking the appropriate pedals into a decent clean valve amp.
       I find it easier that way, just one pedal board and two leads. When setting up on stage I prefer simplicity, especially if I can get the right sounds.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I think it depends on the style of music. When playing classic rock or metal I much prefer overdrive from an amp and only use time based effects in the loop. I started out with an MXR distortion + and a Hi Watt 100 but soon got a Marshall and once I did I never used a drive pedal for the next 35 years. 
    For wedding / corporate gigs which I do a lot of now and  can require quite a few different tones I prefer some pedals and a clean amp. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    Nobody makes an amp that sounds *and feels* convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox in one box. And if they did it would be huge and heavy and expensive. 

So I use a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb for the right clean base sound, and use an Origin RD Compact (most of the time) to push that towards grindy Marshall/Voxy sounds when I need them.  And frankly noone (to my knowledge) makes an amp that sounds like a DR with a Benson Preamp in front either, so until they do that's where I'm at

I've had plenty of folks tell me my gear sounds ace, so it's not impossible! :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    Lovepedal Les Lius into the front of my Rift Blonde Bassman sounds amazing... I have tried the overdrive channel on my VHT D-50 but I don't like the mids for rhythm work so need a transparent O/d for that. It's more of a Solo tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    A lot of people find it difficult to get both the clean and dirty sounds they want out of a channel-switching amp - usually, it's two different varieties of the same amp type - and a 'AIAB' pedal into a clean amp can give more radically different results.

I use my MIAB (Mesa In A Box ;) ) pedal so I can play through any available amp and get a good approximation of what I'm used to. It means I don't need to take my own amp if there's something usable at the practice room/venue, and is a backup so I don't need to take a spare even if I am using my own amp - it can go direct to the PA if necessary.

So much so that in the end I sold my enormously heavy channel-switching Mesa and now I just use a smaller single-channel one and the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    NelsonP said:
    So many drives refer to being 'amp-like' in their response, MIAB, Dumble-style overdrive, designed to sounds like a pushed Fender amp, tube screamer etc.

So, why not just get a master volume amp with 2 channels and just use that? Then you have real amp-drive, which is better, right?

In my experience pedals hardly ever sound as good. I reckon all you need is a 2 channel amp, one overdrive pedal to push the clean channel and an eq or volume pedal to put in the loop for a solo boost.

Thoughts?
    The problem is that getting all your drive from an amp almost always involves compromise. A lot of dual-channel amps have shared EQ, for example, so (unless there's a magical confluence of sound at exactly the setting you like), at least one of those tones won't be ideal.

The Victory Kraken is a prime example of this. Gain I is probably the best chunky rhythm channel I've ever encountered. However, at any settings that make Gain I sound good, Gain II is horrible and scratchy for lead work (to my ears).

Jet City amps are the opposite - at least the ones I've owned - where I can get the ideal sound from both channels. The problems are a) they're not easy to control from the master volume at home levels, and b) they're basically unobtainium now, so I've gone to the next best thing, the Bogner Red pedal with a ThorpyFX Heavy Water for boost when I'm feeling spicy.

Run into a clean amp it sounds exactly the way I want it to at live volumes, and run into an HT-1 I get exactly what I want at home volumes.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nobody makes an amp that sounds *and feels* convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox in one box. And if they did it would be huge and heavy and expensive. 
    The 3rd Power Kitchen Sink 6vel does those three amps in one and does it well. Not heavy but is pricey
    Nobody makes an amp that sounds *and feels* convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox in one box. And if they did it would be huge and heavy and expensive. 
    The 3rd Power Kitchen Sink 6vel does those three amps in one and does it well. Not heavy but is pricey
    So it does. But the head weighs 40% more than my whole amp and the price is $5k... 
    @stickyfiddle ;I have the Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 and I think that amp gets pretty convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox with the right settings & eq applied. I have original Fender Marshall and Vox amps so I can use side by side reference tones.  

Yes it's v heavy, but not that pricey if you can find one used. Great amp and the one I use most live in the band with an extension cab too.
    edited August 2023
    rze99 said:
    @stickyfiddle ;;I have the Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 and I think that amp gets pretty convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox with the right settings & eq applied. I have original Fender Marshall and Vox amps so I can use side by side reference tones.  

Yes it's v heavy, but not that pricey if you can find one used. Great amp and the one I use most live in the band with an extension cab too.
    But it has a shared EQ and isn't channel switching, so while the amp can make a load of different noises it can't do them all within one song at a gig... I have no doubt it sounds great - I've only ever heard good things about it, but it's not a replacement for my rig at all. I bet it sounds great with a Revival Drive in front :) :P 

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    NelsonP said:

So, why not just get a master volume amp with 2 channels and just use that? 
    Because then when you go off it you've got to go amp shopping instead of just pedal shopping.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2023
    I'm not an expert by any stretch but I think usually people will use an amp in a box to get a sound that is different than their amp. I don't think people typically use a Vox in a Box with their AC30 (that said, I used to have an AC4 and I did use a Vox in a Box with it and it sounded much nicer than turning the amp up). 

I doubt there is anybody goosing their real Dumble with a Zen Drive

Generally when I use an amp, I need it to do a loud clean and quieter overdrive, amp style overdrives allow that pretty easily especially using my old AC4 technique above - also allows a different EQ while using the drive sound than when using the clean which you can't usually do with a two channel amp unless it's one with two sets of controls.

Plus it's cheaper
    I'm not an expert by any stretch but I think usually people will use an amp in a box to get a sound that is different than their amp.  
    To be fair I have used my RD Compact set for Revolver-era Vox sounds into my Badcat just because the BadCat doesn't quite get there by itself. But yeah generally that's the point - people aren't using MIABs into Marshalls, they're using them into other stuff
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    NelsonP said:

So, why not just get a master volume amp with 2 channels and just use that? 
    I've never had any luck with channel switching amps live tbh, I never seem to have any idea in the heat of moment whether hitting that footswitch is going to make my guitar disappear or take everyone's heads off. 

Using one channel and boosting or cutting it seems way more reliable to me. 

Amp drive is not always better anyway, plenty of amps just sound lifeless and bland until you hit them with a pedal or two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rze99 said:
    @stickyfiddle ;;I have the Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 and I think that amp gets pretty convincingly like a Fender, Marshall and Vox with the right settings & eq applied. I have original Fender Marshall and Vox amps so I can use side by side reference tones.  

But it has a shared EQ and isn't channel switching, so while the amp can make a load of different noises it can't do them all within one song at a gig... I have no doubt it sounds great - I've only ever heard good things about it, but it's not a replacement for my rig at all. I bet it sounds great with a Revival Drive in front :) :P 

All true. I play 95 per cent original material so just get variations on “my sound”. 

Good luck with your hunt. 
    Hey I'm not hunting; I'm very happy with my setup. Just answering OP's "Why" question
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Sometimes I want a clean sound, sometimes slightly dirty, sometimes amp-like drive, sometimes drive-pedal-type drive, sometimes fuzz. I’ve had channel-switching amps but found I can best achieve the sounds I want from a single channel amp with various pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited August 2023
    Keefy said:
    Sometimes I want a clean sound, sometimes slightly dirty, sometimes amp-like drive, sometimes drive-pedal-type drive, sometimes fuzz. I’ve had channel-switching amps but found I can best achieve the sounds I want from a single channel amp with various pedals.
    That’s what I did. Also trying to do a multi band bill with a channel switching amp on four cable method became a massive pain in the arse after a while. Of the three gigs I’ve played this year. I’ve only used my own amp for one of them. That’s your other consideration. Some venues don’t want you to use your amp. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Also the ongoing cost of a pedal GAS merry-go-round tends to be cheaper than doing the same thing with amps…
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I think the whole "THIS PEDAL SOUNDS LIKE A HUNDRED SCREAMING PLEXIS" hype about pedals is really silly especially as it tends to be used for amp in a box pedals, but also for things like TS pedals which absolutely don't and are intended to push an amp rather than generate all the tone themselves. 

There is also the fact that solid state Marshall preamp -> Fender Preamp -> Fender Power Amp -> Jensen 
    is never going to sound like Marshall Preamp -> Marshall Poweramp -> Greenback 
    whatever you do.

That said I've never had any channel switcher that I was completely happy with on both channels and when you have to have a spanky Fender clean and also a convincing high gain shred sound an amp in a box is the only way to do it unless you go with modelling which these days I would if I really needed a lot of flexibility.

With most amps I find that some combination of amp + pedal always sounds better. JCM800 good, JCM800 + SD-1 = heaven.
    Plexi Good, Plexi + Treble booster / Klone = heaven

I've tried loads of setups and amp just at the edge of the clipping point + overdrive pedal + heavier distortion pedal (if required) gives me 4 different sounds and can cover just about any gig that isn't metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    I think the whole "THIS PEDAL SOUNDS LIKE A HUNDRED SCREAMING PLEXIS" hype about pedals is really silly especially as it tends to be used for amp in a box pedals, but also for things like TS pedals which absolutely don't and are intended to push an amp rather than generate all the tone themselves. 

There is also the fact that solid state Marshall preamp -> Fender Preamp -> Fender Power Amp -> Jensen 
    whatever you do.

That said I've never had any channel switcher that I was completely happy with on both channels and when you have to have a spanky Fender clean and also a convincing high gain shred sound an amp in a box is the only way to do it unless you go with modelling which these days I would if I really needed a lot of flexibility.

With most amps I find that some combination of amp + pedal always sounds better. JCM800 good, JCM800 + SD-1 = heaven.

I've tried loads of setups and amp just at the edge of the clipping point + overdrive pedal + heavier distortion pedal (if required) gives me 4 different sounds and can cover just about any gig that isn't metal.
    What input would you use on the JCM800 + SD1? Can you get clean and driven tines that way?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Amp drive is actually two distinct different things and a lot of stuff in the middle a mesa boohie drive channel is different to a bass man on full.and amp like pedals sound different to one's designed to work with the amp, then there's a fuzz face and a guitar volume.

I use a vox type amp on the edge of breakup and pedals. I can hit the strings harder to get more gain without a pedal. I can use a pedal and turn down for cleans.

Then there's stacking pedals. I've got good gain sounds by stacking three clean boosts or two fizzes or running a k or ts pedal into a bb pedal. 

There's loads of  ways of making it work without using multiple amps and a gig rig which is fun. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:

whatever you do.

What input would you use on the JCM800 + SD1? Can you get clean and driven tines that way?

Yeah you can. The cleans on a JCM are actually not half bad, it's just people don't usually use them that way.

Mostly people use the SD-1 as an always on tone shaper.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    NelsonP said:

whatever you do.

Yeah you can. The cleans on a JCM are actually not half bad, it's just people don't usually use them that way.

Mostly people use the SD-1 as an always on tone shaper.
    ...into the high channel?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited August 2023
    Getting a decent clean sound that has a range of overdrive sounds on tap usually requires a 3-4 channel amp like a H&K Triamp, Custom Audio, Suhr Hedgehog etc which are all loud, heavy and can be expensive amps. Even then, EQ might be shared and so for me, getting a good-sounding clean amp that takes OD pedals well is a better, lighter and more versatile option and your board makes for a transferable rig to backing amps.
    The caveat here is if you're lucky to find a good 2 channel amp or even a single channel amp, you can ride the guitar volume to achieve your various sounds.

It is a compromise as you may think you have the best MIAB since sliced bread, then you play through something like a 5150 and realise the feel under fingers, responsiveness and sound are different but fair play to the MIAB/Preamp pedals out there from Wampler, Sinvertek etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I’ve just moved from a Princeton Tone Master to a Blackstar St James because I wanted some amp drive.

The good thing for me now is, I still have a nice clean channel that I can use on its own, or with some pedals.

The second channel I use with the gain up high (it’s quite a low gain amp though) and boost for lead with a klone. I’ve got the best of both now.