Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 80s guitar pop. Mr Mister , Cyndi Lauper etc - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

80s guitar pop. Mr Mister , Cyndi Lauper etc

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
Never took much notice in the past, but just listening to some 80s songs there, and the guitar on Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time is brilliant. Seems to be a "strat" type of sound, very very tasty stuff indeed.
Same with Mr Mister's Broken Wings. The chorus, I am guessing sounds like a whammy dive. Very tasty clean guitar in this as well. Very 80s sounding guitar effects, but very tasty playing.

Though the keyboard and bass line in the Lauper song makes it too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited August 2023
    The bass line on Mr Mister is also fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but do some 'Alan Murphy' you-tube research.  I reckon he was the best in this genre - a fantastic player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Never took much notice in the past, but just listening to some 80s songs...
    'twas a golden age!
    The bass line on Mr Mister is also fantastic.
    Sounds like synth bass(?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but do some 'Alan Murphy' you-tube research.  I reckon he was the best in this genre - a fantastic player
    Was Alan only a 'this side of the pond' player? (Kate Bush, Level 42, Go West, etc.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but do some 'Alan Murphy' you-tube research.  I reckon he was the best in this genre - a fantastic player
    Was Alan only a 'this side of the pond' player? (Kate Bush, Level 42, Go West, etc.)
    Yup, as far as I know
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    Alan Murphy was a FABULOUS guitarist. Such a loss at an early age.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Cyndi’s guitar playing was Eric Bazilion from the Hooters and Steve Farris played on Mister Mr

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    I love the guitars behind 80s pop songs. They're so subtle yet noticeable at the same time.

A couple of songs that spring to mind are I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald and Physical by Olivia Newton John. I believe both were played on by Steve Lukather. Subtle but noticeable.
    tFB Trader
    One of my favourites from that era 

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @FelineGuitars Yep, some lovely guitar there. It's not out in the front, but noticeable and very nice indeed!
  • @digitalkettle yep, sounds like a synth bass, and the pad synth also sounds glorious.
  • Lovely solo at 3:20

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    We had Songs From the Big Chair by Tears For Fears as a listening party (what happened to them?) a while back.  Some fine guitar playing sitting within a predominantly synth-pop album.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Cyndi’s guitar playing was Eric Bazilion from the Hooters and Steve Farris played on Mister Mr
    I thought Steve Farris was dead, but it turns out he isn't... I must've been thinking of someone else from a similar(ish) band.  I wonder who it was?

There was another guy called John McCurry who also played guitar with Cyndi Lauper and on many other '80s soft-rock albums.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought Steve Farris was dead, but it turns out he isn't... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB69p6lkSRI

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    One of my favourites from that era 
    One of the best power pop songs ever along with sun always shines on tv by aha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    If you are at all triggered by 
    • Floyd Rose charvels
    • rack gear
    • keyboard stands
    • frightening mullets
    • scary musicianship 
    • electronic drums
    • rolled-up sleeve jackets and looking like you've just stepped out of a John Hughes movie 
    • balloons
    DO NOT watch this video.

Everybody else enjoy - it doesn't get more 80s than this.
    There's some use of backing tracks in there... but mostly this is a band at the height of their powers.
    New York / The Ritz / 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTKSKDIXtg
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    1:04 to 1:45 one of my fav guitar solos ever.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @CaseOfAce I'm only familiar with some of their songs, but some top class stuff there. Love the synths in this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought Steve Farris was dead, but it turns out he isn't... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB69p6lkSRI
    I might have been thinking of the bloke from Cutting Crew.  Although he died a long time ago.
  • waCaseOfAce said:
    If you are at all triggered by 
    • Floyd Rose charvels
    • rack gear
    • keyboard stands
    • frightening mullets
    • scary musicianship 
    • electronic drums
    • rolled-up sleeve jackets and looking like you've just stepped out of a John Hughes movie 
    • balloons
    DO NOT watch this video.

Everybody else enjoy - it doesn't get more 80s than this.
    There's some use of backing tracks in there... but mostly this is a band at the height of their powers.
    New York / The Ritz / 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTKSKDIXtg
    Watching Sky Arts the other day and it was Ringo’s All Star band from Nashville.
    What a line up.
    Lukather, Mr Mister’s bass/singer, Mark Rivera on Sax/vocals amongst others. All pulling out songs from their back catalog. Joe Walsh even joined in on a couple.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    That Mr Mister song was superb, still love it.

Go West were really good as well.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Cyndi but no mention of Girls Just Wanna..?!? SHAME!! Awesome funky guitar riff in a cracking bit of pop.

But while we're on the subject of Ms Lauper it's lovely to hear something like Time After Time and get a real vocal performance that's far from technically perfect but utterly full of character and emotion. Something that wouldn't stand a chance of getting through a studio exec team these days :( 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Watching Sky Arts the other day and it was Ringo’s All Star band from Nashville.
    What a line up.
    Lukather, Mr Mister’s bass/singer, Mark Rivera on Sax/vocals amongst others. All pulling out songs from their back catalog. Joe Walsh even joined in on a couple.
    yep - Richard Page on stage with Starr.

The drummer - Pat Mastelotto - from Mr. Mister - last seen on stage with Fripp in King Crimson - and you don't get into a band like that without some serious ability.

Steve Farris went into real estate after quitting the band due to "artistic differences". He just turned his back on the music industry.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2023
    The much maligned 80s has a load of great tracks, I'm never sure why it gets shit on so much. A great time to grow up and what a soundtrack too.

My Dad always moans about it, but these were real guys playing instruments to high levels, with great songwriting and production to boot. It was all still physically played/made too, unlike now where there's a whole lot more trickery involved. Now I'm not saying there wasn't any studio touch ups and tape manipulation but the basic stuff was guys in a room to tape. Some pure gold in these posts here.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    The much maligned 80s has a load of great tracks, I'm never sure why it gets shit on so much. A great time to grow up and what a soundtrack too.

My Dad always moans about it, but these were real guys playing instruments to high levels, with great songwriting and production to boot. It was all still physically played/made too, unlike now where there's a whole lot more trickery involved. Now I'm not saying there wasn't any studio touch ups and tape manipulation but the basic stuff was guys in a room to tape. Some pure gold in these posts here.
    How old's your dad?  My dad would've thought Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen were long-haired hippy weirdos.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @stickyfiddle that Time After Time is up there for me as one of the best pop songs of the 80s.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    Found a few guys on YT that do 80's stuff but with the guitar brought to the front

this guy "Leppardized" them which is also very cool

Lot's of good tunes and top class playing on the 80's stuff, best decade to come of age in,music & film so much classic stuff relased during those days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Boromedic said:

To me, the 80s was the height of the “music industry”. Too much money. Too many drugs. Too many egos being stroked. But yeah, great songs!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought Steve Farris was dead, but it turns out he isn't... I must've been thinking of someone else from a similar(ish) band.  I wonder who it was?

There was another guy called John McCurry who also played guitar with Cyndi Lauper and on many other '80s soft-rock albums.
    He played on one of my favourite songs from that era, John Waite's The Choice, the guitar solo starts at 1:59, and I still think he has an amazing tone (I believe he was using a Jackson guitar for this):

https://youtu.be/Dp7lGSKVGZE