Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Getting there... Multi delay on one pedal advice. (e.g. Boss Gigadelay, Boss DD200, DD500 etc) - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Getting there... Multi delay on one pedal advice. (e.g. Boss Gigadelay, Boss DD200, DD500 etc)

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
edited August 2023 in FX
I'm getting there with the pedal board, and looking at delays. With the intention of saving some board space, I could possibly ditch the TC Nova Delay and the EHX Memory Man with Hazarai. Both take up a lot of space.
Advantages of EHX - that analog type delay sound (not that clean digital sound & tap tempo).
Advantages of TC Nova - I can save a few delay types with specific BPMs for certain songs.

Strymon Timeline is an obvious answer but also Boss has some decent options, pedalboard friendly as well. DD200 and DD20/Gigadelay seem similar. They'd both have the tape, analog, and digital delay sounds with tap tempo and ability to save with specific BPMs.
The DD500 also look good in that I could use 2 delays at the same time, and would save me having to add another delay pedal if that's what I wanted, playing 2 delays at once etc.
All of those Boss ones can be had used easily enough, the Gigadelay less so, but they're out there.
What say ye?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    My Keeley Halo will do that and it's for sale on here . It's a 2-button, multi-preset delay that's the size of a regular pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kebabkid said:
    My Keeley Halo will do that and it's for sale on here . It's a 2-button, multi-preset delay that's the size of a regular pedal.
    Interesting pedal, but would need to be able to set BPMs etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited August 2023
    Edit: Going to rule out the DD500.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited August 2023
    Kebabkid said:
    Interesting pedal, but would need to be able to set BPMs etc
    in which case, take a look at the Providence Chrono Delay and there's one for sale on here for a great price (no affiliation)
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252158/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Why,? It's a fantastic pedal.

I've had the chronos before but the dd500 is far more flexible and sounds awesome.  
  • thomasw88 said:
    Why,? It's a fantastic pedal.

I've had the chronos before but the dd500 is far more flexible and sounds awesome.  
    DD500 is in the lead. The dual delay option is pretty good.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Had the DD-20, have the DD-500. The DD-500 is a very capable delay but it's complicated and getting the very most out of it involves a fair bit of menu diving and manual reading. It can do a load of weird and wonderful stuff and there's an active Facebook user group.

The DD-20 is considerably more basic- probably a bit limited by today's standards if you want more than "normal" delays. Only three presets plus the manual mode that can act as a fourth. Good sounds, dead easy operation, nice feature set but very much a sensible, basic delay.

A big advantage of the DD-200/500 is MIDI, which means you can sync them to other pedals and/or control them from something like an ES-5/8.

I suspect the DD-200 gets you most of what the DD-500 can do with a simpler interface at the expense of some of the flexibility to do weirder stuff.

FWIW, neither of them are very good for making spaceship noises by turning the knobs on the fly because both have notched delay time controls that adjust in tiny increments. They get around this to a certain extent by having modes like "Warp" and "Twist", but nothing beats the hands on approach if that's what you're into.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I'm a big fan of the Eventide Timefactor. Super easy to use, consistent great sounds. The only things that aren't perfect are power requirements (needs an adaptor) and using presets & tap together needs an external 2-button switch. But I still love mine after about 15 years. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 41
    edited August 2023
    What about a TC Plethora X3?
    I have one and you can set up any number of patches with 3 delays per patch if wanted.
    Great range of delay sounds ( from Flashback and Alter ego) and can use BPM or ms

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    FTT Future Factory by a country mile.

Or Flight Time 2 if Mono is ok.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I'm a big fan of the Eventide Timefactor. Super easy to use, consistent great sounds. The only things that aren't perfect are power requirements (needs an adaptor) and using presets & tap together needs an external 2-button switch. But I still love mine after about 15 years. 
    Yeah, looks like a crackign pedal. I have read that some folk suggest it is better for studio use v live use, though you see it on plenty of boards.
  • JJ72 said:
    I have one and you can set up any number of patches with 3 delays per patch if wanted.
    Great range of delay sounds ( from Flashback and Alter ego) and can use BPM or ms

Any quality issues with the footswitches by chance? 
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 41
    JJ72 said:

Any quality issues with the footswitches by chance? 
    I've only had for 3 months but all perfect up to now.
    Have you heard/ read about any reliability issues?
  • I’ve been an avid user of the dd500 for 6 years now. It’s become the central pillar of my board. What I didn’t expect when I got it was that with some judicious programming you can gets loads more out of it than ‘just’ delay; Modulations, boosts, reverb crikey you can even squeeze a pretty decent fuzz out of it. 

The programming can get really deep, so if you don’t have the patience for that, it might not suit.

One practical thing I like about the dd500 is that it doesn’t have crazy high power requirements and can be run off batteries. This has saved me at a gig on more than one occasion.

I’ve been an avid user of the dd500 for 6 years now. It’s become the central pillar of my board. What I didn’t expect when I got it was that with some judicious programming you can gets loads more out of it than ‘just’ delay; Modulations, boosts, reverb crikey you can even squeeze a pretty decent fuzz out of it. 

Likewise, I've been able to persuade my DD-500 to do all sorts of cool stuff- I've got a patch that can toggle between three different tap tempo subdivisions, and one where I use one of the onboard Assign controls to modulate the delay time and make the repeats sound an octave above or below the pitch of the note and do a sort of half time / double time effect.

Fully agree though, if you're not someone who's happy to do deep programming it might feel like hard work. I reckon you could use the DD-500 to replicate a lot of the "special" delays on the market, only you have to "build" the sound yourself. I wouldn't blame anyone faced with that choice who said "fuck it, I'll buy the Strymon".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am also thinking, as the delay pedals I am looking at would be multi effects pedals, why not just get a multi effects like the HX Effects!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I went down the HX Effects route. Unless you've got a very specific delay sound in mind, it's hard to argue against - and i've tried hard over the years so I could justify buying something else. And obviously it can do a lot more besides delay.

I started with an HX FX, then sold it to get a Stomp, then bought another FX because I didn't like the foot switch limitations. Would you believe I'm now considering going back to a Stomp, because of its board friendly size and amp SIM capability.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • @ewal not after any specific delay as such. Just the option of a digital, an analog or tape sounding one, reverse and whatever else is there to dip into.
    I might keep the EHX memory man with hazarai to go alongside a Stomp and then maybe add the extra 2 button foot switch but that rules out the expression pedal. In all likelihood I’d use maybe 2 effects alongside some drive pedals. I’d also keep the Walrus Audio Slo as well initially.
    Now to sell some gear !
  • As Colombo would have said "just one more thing". On these dual delay pedals, e.g. Eventide Timefactor, Boss DD500, Strymon Timeline, can I activate two different delay types with e.g. button A and button B? Or is it case of two delays blended together when you press button A, and then when you press button B, it only activates button B and so on.
    My understanding is with the Eventide Timefactor, you can only choose one type of delay, but have two separate settings on button A and B. I do not know if that means both can be on at the same time though?
  • I'm going to be that guy.

Do you really need multiple delay types in one pedal? 

Any time I've had a multidelay pedal I have *always* found I had a favourite sound and then left it there. 

I always feel like "options" is a great idea on paper but very quickly leads to "favourites" that render 90% of the options unnecessary. 
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited August 2023
    On the dd500 you have two main switching modes; toggle between A or B switches or have both switches in parallel, so A+B (either on or off).

Then you have the Dual Delay mode; so on a single switch you can have two parallel delays of type: Standard, Analog or I think Tape. So if you have parallel switching mode while using Dual delay mode, you get 4 parallel delays.

then…

If you use the Pattern Delay mode and can get your head around the maths, that mode is essentially 16 delay lines. Double that up using the parallel switching mode, you get 32 parallel delays in theory. I’ve never attempted this though and am not sure what the point would be unless you’re trying to sculpt your own reverb type thing.

On top of that you can set up external control pedals or reassign the ‘tap tempo’ switch to assign pretty much whatever control you like to them. E.g. half the delay time.

It really does start to make you head spin if you fancy getting into that level of programming.

• I'm going to be that guy.

Do you really need multiple delay types in one pedal? 

Any time I've had a multidelay pedal I have *always* found I had a favourite sound and then left it there. 

I always feel like "options" is a great idea on paper but very quickly leads to "favourites" that render 90% of the options unnecessary. 
    Currently have a TC Nova Delay, which is perfect for some presets with set BPMs, and an EHX stereo memory man hazarai, where I used one setting pretty much and just use the tap tempo! A dual delay might help with pedalboard space, and cut down on tap dancing.
    I rarely use two delays at once, but might be nice to have the option to experiment with.
    I could replicate the EHX stuff on button A, and then the digital stuff on button B.
    I wouldn't necessarily need 2 delays on at the same time all the time.
  • I'm going to be that guy... 
    #MeToo: why do you need to be able to set a specific bpm?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited August 2023
    I'm going to be that guy... 
    A few of the tracks use backing tracks with a set BPM with guitar parts only in some parts, so want the delay set to the same BPM when the other instruments come back in.
    Other than that, I'd have an EHX Memory Toy only or a DD3!
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    GT1000 Core and enjoy all the additional benefits...
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    edited August 2023
    I'm going to be that guy... 
    A few of the tracks use backing tracks with a set BPM with guitar parts only in some parts, so want the delay set to the same BPM when the other instruments come back in.
    Other than that, I'd have an EHX Memory Toy only or a DD3!
    Thought it might be something like that.

My view is that tap tempo gets you close enough...in fact, being slightly out is not a bad thing.

There you go: I've just un-eliminated 537 pedals for you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @digitalkettle yeah, could save me a few hundred quid too! Not too gone on the space the EHX MM takes up. I do like the option of a nice clean digital delay and an analog/echo style delay. Tap tempo would be a must if I don't go for a single pedal.
    e.g. a Timeline or a DD500 could do everything, but pricey...
    Brio said:
    GT1000 Core and enjoy all the additional benefits...
    Depends. I don't think it allows you to do *everything* the DD-500 does. It just depends whether you'll miss the stuff you can't do...

• Forgot to mention that the TC Nova allows me to save some reverse presets as well, which is an advantage over, say one of the Boss delay pedals, the DD8, having to bend down and change all the knobs over. I wouldn't use half of the stuff in a GT1000 Core or HX Stomp, though is it better to be looking at it, than for it...
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    I'm a big fan of the Eventide Timefactor. Super easy to use, consistent great sounds. The only things that aren't perfect are power requirements (needs an adaptor) and using presets & tap together needs an external 2-button switch. But I still love mine after about 15 years. 
    I came here to say just that! I've had my Timefactor since 2007 and absolutely love it still.