Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drive Channels: why two gain knobs? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drive Channels: why two gain knobs?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    On a Dumble the OD stage consists of two gain stages. So there is a volume pot at the entry to the first gain stage, another pot after it and another pot after the second gain stage. One of those pots is usually inside the amp on the circuit board but some makers moved it out onto the panel. I moved it to the rear panel on my OTS. 

Some have another pot in the fx loop recovery stage (CarolAnn OD3) but that is global and not exclusively and OD gain control

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Jay, your Redplate excels in this area, and is unusual...

The Gain when set to zero, can bypass the gain staging that is occurring. 

Together, gain and drive, are VERY interactive on the Redplate - which is why they 'bloom' so much imho.

I'd love to own another one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    I used a Burman in the early 80s which I'm pretty sure had three gain knobs on one channel. 

It sounded like arse whatever i did with them
    It did. They did. I couldn't get anything usable out of the overdrive channel either. The clean channel was OK.

They weigh as much as a medium-sized galaxy as well...
    Close to killing the joke...  B)