Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drive Channels: why two gain knobs? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drive Channels: why two gain knobs?

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
Many amps have two gain knobs on the drive channel:

Gain Control: sets the amount of signal for the first gain stage of the OD section

Drive Control: controls the level between the 2 gain stages of the OD section

In practical terms, does it make a difference if you have just one gain control?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Two stages can be voiced differently with simple component selections to build a gain structure with different frequency response so that is definitely something that can make a difference between the two approaches. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And the diehard axiom of course :-) More Gain = More Gooder lol!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Basically the same as having a gain on a pedal and on the amp, options-wise.

You can even do that on digital modelling amps, on the Boss Katana for example you can put a drive pedal on and still have amp gain.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    But these are (subtractive) potentiometers - not amplification stages.

please correct me if I’m wrong
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    jaymenon said:
    But these are (subtractive) potentiometers - not amplification stages.

please correct me if I’m wrong
    You want my learned friend @ICBM ;
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I'd imagine they effect different parts of the circuit and just give you the option rather than one or the other?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Each "gain" control sets the level that dives the next stage. One common setup is a gain pot after the first triode stage which sets the level into quite often the next stage that dives the tone stack. There then can be a pot post stack. Distortion will be different whether you distort pre or post tone stack.

I put gain in " " because the pots are actually just volume controls. Proper gain control is effected by a negative feedback circuit. Often one or both pots will have a 'situp' resistor in its bottom end to prevent total loss of signal.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    jaymenon said:

Gain Control: sets the amount of signal for the first gain stage of the OD section

In practical terms, does it make a difference if you have just one gain control?
    What amps are you thinking of? I can’t call many to mind that have this feature. 

In fact the only one off the top of my head is the drive channel from Fender’s SuperSonic range, which is utter crap in no small part thanks to having two gain pots. 
    StefB said:
    jaymenon said:

What amps are you thinking of? I can’t call many to mind that have this feature. 

In fact the only one off the top of my head is the drive channel from Fender’s SuperSonic range, which is utter crap in no small part thanks to having two gain pots. 

Redplate BlackVerb

Ceriatone / Dumble ODS

Though I wouldn't know how to adjust them to taste...

One knob seems so much simpler (despite the trouble mine has gotten me into over the course of my life)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'd imagine they effect different parts of the circuit and just give you the option rather than one or the other?

Apparently, they "feel" different!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    jaymenon said:
    StefB said:
    jaymenon said:

Redplate BlackVerb

Ceriatone / Dumble ODS

That's interesting. My Ceriatone amp doesn't have a OD Trim, instead it has this on the back.  

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ch3 on boogie mark IV (V too probably but have not looked at one)
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    From memory, the JCM900 has gain and “sensitivity”, one controlling a valve stage and the other a secondary diode clipping stage. 

Probably a gross over-simplification :lol:
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    It gives the user much more control over the amount of drive available.

The trimmer control could just be two resistors inside the amp pre set by the amp builder. 

The trimmer control is probably a set and forget type control, but if you have ever bought an amp and the drive channel has way to much gain or not enough, you would wish you could change the internal gain  - with this set up you can.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Surely you’d have two knobs so you can go up to 22? 
    One knob has landed me in enough trouble…
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    The Dumble Overdrive Special type amp has 4 "gain stages".
    The standard input volume / gain sets the amount of attenuation between stage 1 and 2 (Valve 1).
    Then there is a trimmer or rear volume pot to control attenuation between stage 2 and 3 (Valve 1 to Valve 2 )
    Then there's the Overdrive control (front panel) that attenuates between stage 3 and 4 which is followed by the (Ratio / level control) that acts as a Master Volume for the Overdrive signal only. It's simply a volume pot at the output of stage 4.
    There's a lot of signal gain available when you cascade 4 ECC83 triodes together. The various controls allow more control at various stages in the signal chain preventing too much clipping from taking place in one part of the chain.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    exocet said:

There's a lot of signal gain available when you cascade 4 ECC83 triodes together.
    TBH, I don't know much about amps.

When you say 4 triodes, does that mean two ECC,83 valves and you are using both sides of each valve?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Ddigger said:
    exocet said:

There's a lot of signal gain available when you cascade 4 ECC83 triodes together.

When you say 4 triodes, does that mean two ECC,83 valves and you are using both sides of each valve?
    Yes. A single ECC83 / 12AX7 contains two triodes (2 gain stages).
  • I've also never seen this on an amp (mostly playing clean Fender types anyway) but the more I read this thread, the more useful it sounds! Having a gain pre and post tone stack sounds really useful. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    I've also never seen this on an amp (mostly playing clean Fender types anyway) but the more I read this thread, the more useful it sounds! Having a gain pre and post tone stack sounds really useful. 

You might like to read Merlin Blencowe's book on valve pre amps? There is SOME maths but you don't really need it and in any case it is mostly Ohm's Law which is really just Time Distance Speed.He shows many variations of circuits that give varieties of distortions, many of which have never been explored by the main amp makers AFAIK. They are a (small c) conservative lot!

Boost then EQ a bit gives a different result from EQ then boost. Take that through a number of stages and vary the EQ frequencies and you get a very versatile tonal palette..

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ah nice. Will investigate. I'm not afraid of a bit of maths...
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505

My ole Peavey Classic has a Post and Pre knobs for the lead channel. I think the Pre works as an master volume sort of and the Post is all out gain.  Really hard to photograph a mirrored back plate. 

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    Back in the 80s, a mate of mine had the little Squier 15 practice amp which has this Volume-Gain-Master setup.

I'm not sure of how this functions in the solid state circuit. My vague memories of it (and neither of us was very experienced at the time) was that balancing the volume and gain vaguely affected the tonality of the bee-in-a-jamjar fizz (of which there was oodles!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Neilybob said:

My ole Peavey Classic has a Post and Pre knobs for the lead channel. I think the Pre works as an master volume sort of and the Post is all out gain.
    Pre is simply Peavey's term for 'gain' and Post for 'volume' (channel), although some other makers call this Master, if there isn't an overall master, just to confuse things further.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    exocet said:
    Ddigger said:
    exocet said:

Yes. A single ECC83 / 12AX7 contains two triodes (2 gain stages).
    Thanks Exocet.
  • edited August 2023
    My Boogie Mark IV had this.

See pages 5 & 6 in the manual https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/Mark 4.pdf

PS, reading that manual reminded me why the Boogie Mark IV is the greatest amp ever.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I used a Burman in the early 80s which I'm pretty sure had three gain knobs on one channel. 

It sounded like arse whatever i did with them, but that might have been user error given that I almost exclusively played 4-hole Marshalls at the time. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    p90fool said:
    I used a Burman in the early 80s which I'm pretty sure had three gain knobs on one channel. 

It sounded like arse whatever i did with them
    It did. They did. I couldn't get anything usable out of the overdrive channel either. The clean channel was OK.

They weigh as much as a medium-sized galaxy as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter