Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Robbie Robertson - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Robbie Robertson

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
edited August 2023 in Tributes
What can I say? An absolute musical hero of mine. RIP and thank you for the music. ‘Gutted’ doesn’t quite cover it…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I was watching Once Were Brothers only the other week. Sad news indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Goddammit. 

This is one of those that really hurts. 

Please don't take Neil or Joni just yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    The last waltz was a big part of my musical education in me youth sad day 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Very sad day

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    JerkMoans said:
    Very sad day

Love this video!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    just seen that, one of the most influential musicians (that a lot of joe public won't have heard of) of the 20th C.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    A true legend.
    RIP
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I couldn't help thinking of the very first post in this thread over a week ago:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251769/if-a-rockstar-could-come-back-to-life-who-would-it-be/p1

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Genuinely sad news. RIP.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Another of the greats, very few left now. A truly sad day. RIP. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Ah man. That’s a sad one. He was there right from the start. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    Great player - sad indeed.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Whoa.. That's sad to hear. He was one of my favourites. I loved The Last Waltz, it an absolute classic film. He really was one of the greats. RIP
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    I'll be playing Somewhere Down the Crazy River today. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    I’ve been rediscovering The Band only recently, such a shame. Seemed like an absolute dude. 
    How very rock and roll
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    A legend lost. Thanks for the music Robbie.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    Garth Hudson has been quite frail for years now, hard to believe he's all that's left of The Band.

I love the first few Band albums, but for me it's his stuff with Bob Dylan. Blonde on Blonde, the Basement Tapes, 1974 tour, all of that. Top of the pile though - the 1966 tour. I must have listened to the electric half of the Manchester concert hundreds of times. Just a Telecaster and a big Fender amp playing "fucking loud".

Solo at around 3:45
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    Worth a listen..,,

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited August 2023
    That little acoustic flourish that introduces 'The Weight' might be one of my favourite small riffs of all time...

Amazing to think that the genre we now know as 'Americana' was basically invented by Canadians.

RIP Robbie, what a legend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    JCA2550 said:
    I've just played it for the first time in a while.  What a track - just dripping (literally) with atmosphere.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Crikey! Love The Band.. Great songs..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Somewhere down the crazy river is one of my all time fav songs - RIP to a legend 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    JCA2550 said:
    I've just played it for the first time in a while.  What a track - just dripping (literally) with atmosphere.
    If you like it now you'll learn to love it later - RIP Robbie
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 115
    Sad news, one of my heroes, wrote some of my favourite songs.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    RIP Robbie. Very much a part of my life musically - their first two albums are indispensable imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    edited August 2023
    Whitecat said:
    That little acoustic flourish that introduces 'The Weight' might be one of my favourite small riffs of all time...

Amazing to think that the genre we now know as 'Americana' was basically invented by Canadians.

RIP Robbie, what a legend.
    I was just watching the Last Waltz the other day. If you could have laid claim to have written just one song, The Weight would surely be up there. Never mind having the skill to take over from Clapton should he fumble his guitar strap

I only found out recently that his friendship with Scorsese led to Robertson scoring his films - Raging Bull, Color of Money, Wolf of Wall Street.

Supremely talented man. Sad news.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Sad news indeed. Very influential and an absolute legend. RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    edited August 2023
    Woah, that is tragic news.  What a songwriter!

I had the double live album "Rock of Ages".  I know everyone raves about "The Weight", but my favourites were "Unfaithful Servant" and "The Shape I'm In", along with "Up On Cripple Creek" and "Across The Great Divide".

*edit*  And "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" has always been one of my favourites to play and sing on acoustic.

RIP and thoughts with his loved ones.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    The last thing I was involved in, musically, we did the weight, it makes no difference, and I shall be released..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.