Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WSA: Amplify my Helix - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WSA: Amplify my Helix

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Bats_Bats_ Frets: 29
    Get a Catalyst.  Seriously. 

I’ve had a Powercab+ and a Laney LFR112, the catalyst is as good as if not better using the power amp in feature. Not a bad sounding amp either. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1583
    Bats_ said:

I’ve had a Powercab+ and a Laney LFR112, the catalyst is as good as if not better using the power amp in feature. Not a bad sounding amp either. 

How are you using the catalyst and the helix?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    edited August 2023
    ^ This is true! I did the same with my VH Mini(/Micro?) too - just be aware the volume is fixed with those to 100%, so you have to change the master level from the HX itself.
    Yes very important to set the HX Stomp master volume first or you're in for a nasty surprise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jetfire said:
    Bats_ said:

How are you using the catalyst and the helix?
    The Catalyst has a mode switch to effectively turn it in to a powered speaker. 

Disable the cab/IR and off you go. 

Sounds great.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Bats_ does that bypass the master vol too, or does that still work on the output levels?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    I have a Pod Go and put that through some 5w monitor speakers at home.  it would need a fuller PA for live use but the monitors work well at home

• relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Not quite the same use case but I run an HX FX into a Blackstar Amped 1. 

I've been running the xlr out of the amped1 into one of these. It's a monitor speaker:
    HH Electronics HPX108 Active 8" PA Speaker | PMT Online

Sounds incredible both as my main speaker at home and as a monitor for my rig at gigs. Way better than the £100 price tag would suggest. 
    @Bats_ does that bypass the master vol too, or does that still work on the output levels?
    Not sure what you mean here but the master on the amp acts as you would expect, turn it up and it gets louder. 

The rest of the amp is bypassed and the modeller or whatever you plug in to it goes straight to the power section. 

I think John Cordy did a good video on this.