Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WSA: Amplify my Helix - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WSA: Amplify my Helix

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 388
edited August 2023 in Amps
WSA (Wanting some advice!)
I have recently moved back to a Helix and wanting to power it at home rather than always using headphones.
Mono is fine and have no space for powered stereo speakers anyway.

GRGuitars powered amp: Had a Redsound powered amp for a Kemper about four years ago which was great sounding.  They now appear to be sold as GRGuitars, made in Italy and back control panel looks identical to the Redsound I had.

Any thoughts? other options?

Line 6 Powercab - physically big, and sound?
Seymour D. power stage amp and Zilla Cab? - noisy fan?

Ta Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    JonHosker said:
    I have recently moved back to a Helix and wanting to power it at home rather than always using headphones.

GRGuitars powered amp: Had a Redsound powered amp for a Kemper about four years ago which was great sounding.  They now appear to be sold as GRGuitars, made in Italy and back control panel looks identical to the Redsound I had.

Ta Jon
    The SD Powerstage fans are not loud - in fact, they're barely audible. They're also excellent, and the EQ is very good for getting a bigger sound at low volumes.

Helix -> SD Powerstage -> Guitar cab is exactly how I ran mine, both at home and gigging, and it sounded excellent no matter where I was. Best rig I've ever had.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    How much volume do you need (as you state home use)?

At home I run my Helix and Kemper through my studio monitors.  I have Neumann KH80's but you don't need to spend as much if you are not attempting any serious mixing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    If it's for home use and not dead loud then a small pair of monitors like Presonus Eris 3.5 takes up hardly any space
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I have Eris 8s for mine, because more = better
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I use(d) an AMT Tube-Cake 3w pedal amp for my HX, into a Zilla Fatbaby for home use, it was a bloody perfect combination and had no extraneous noise at all!

I've since reverted to 'real' amps again, but I've kept the TC3 just in case I ever go back to this type of rig.

I see they've now released a very neat version that could easily be integrated under a pedalboard, or even into a cab directly. That said, I'd rather not send monies to russian companies right now so I would look for used ones if this appealed to you (your politics may vary!)
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    I use a Fryette Powerstation and a 1x12 cab. Great for home use and gigging. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I use(d) an AMT Tube-Cake 3w pedal amp for my HX, into a Zilla Fatbaby for home use, it was a bloody perfect combination and had no extraneous noise at all!

I've since reverted to 'real' amps again, but I've kept the TC3 just in case I ever go back to this type of rig.

I see they've now released a very neat version that could easily be integrated under a pedalboard, or even into a cab directly. That said, I'd rather not send monies to russian companies right now so I would look for used ones if this appealed to you (your politics may vary!)
    Man that Zilla looks amazing! Nice and compact as well it seems?!
  • @Musicma20 Thanks! Yep on both counts, the TC is crazy small, and the Zilla (vertical Fatbaby 1x12) doesn't take up much room either, but lifts the speaker up a bit too - no idea if that helps/hinders the sound, but I like it in action! :mrgreen: 

I'm still using the Zilla with other amps, it's loaded with a Celestion G12H Creamback and covers a lot of ground - highly recommended. :)
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 388
    That Zilla looks gorgeous!! Ta for the advice all
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors for home use.

Sounds great.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    edited August 2023
    Those GR Guitars ones look very nice and have a price tag to match, especially the carbon fibre ones!

I’ve been using a Laney LFR112 which I also use for gigging. Not exactly compact but sounds pretty good. Also been considering the DV Mark Powered cab, mainly as it’s quite a bit lighter than the Laney. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    JonHosker said:

Ta Jon
    As others have already said - what sort of volume do you need?

I use my Helix at home (both the Rack and Helix Native embedded in Logic) through my desktop monitors, which are Genelec 8040Bs.

Live, I use it through the PA with a HK Audio LINEAR 5 112 XA for monitoring. I sometimes bring one home if I want to dial in sounds, or be loud!

R.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 388
    I don’t need loads of volume, use a Spark 40 as well. Prefer a mono ‘amp’ solution, but quality sound and lightweight.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited August 2023
    Laney LFR112 ot IRT-X
  • MtBMtB Frets: 908
    I have the helix on my office desk (80cm x 160cm) wired up to a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5 speakers and then a Sony SRS-XB13 bluetooth speaker linked to my laptop so I can play along to a backing track or recording.  
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1583
    I have an LT I use with Presonus Monitors at home.  I tried the Sd170 and cab thing and via the fx loop of a tube amp, both weren't very good in my opinion 
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    I use the EHX 44 Magnum, works really well for home.  My lad even used it for a gig once, though the cab was miked
    Bod said:
    I use the EHX 44 Magnum, works really well for home.  My lad even used it for a gig once, though the cab was miked
    Ummmm... Surely direct to desk from the helix would have been an option there?
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Jetfire said:
    Bod said:
    Ummmm... Surely direct to desk from the helix would have been an option there?
    It was a college gig - 2 songs and something in the region of 12 acts.  It was easier to do it his way.
  • Not a Helix user but I normally run my Kemper through studio monitors (The Yamaha HS8's). I have a bit of a luxury I can turn them up quite loud and it sounds great. Having said that I plugged into my 1x12 cab for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I missed how good moving air sounds through a speaker cabinet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Laney lfr-112 for me too 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Not with a Helix, but I’m enjoying the Powerstage 170 into a Thiele cab to amplify my Revival Drive Hor Rod. Fan is all but inaudible and having an EQ on the power amp is super useful.
  • Not a Helix user but I normally run my Kemper through studio monitors (The Yamaha HS8's). I have a bit of a luxury I can turn them up quite loud and it sounds great. Having said that I plugged into my 1x12 cab for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I missed how good moving air sounds through a speaker cabinet!
    I ran my first Helix into HS7s and, while that was a great setup, it was drastically different from bypassing the cab modelling and running into a ‘real’ one. After trying it, I never went back to monitors or an FRFR rig!

I’ve not tried a HX into the L6 PowerCab, but I imagine that would be a pretty impressive combination too.
    I like the Powercab, I'd like to experience it again but they are Megabucks. Why line 6 haven't done more with the power can speaker emulation in that, I have no idea
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    I play my Helix in 4 situations (home practice, garage rehearsal, studio rehearsal and live) and gave this lots of thought recently.

I went for the Headrush FR108 for live and at the moment it's doing double duty at home. Home will eventually be monitors, like the Kali's.

The Headrush is good. It was fashionable, then it wasn't, but in reality the sound is good if you raise it off the ground and it's super portable and cheap so perfect for my live monitoring needs. But for home use, the most you'll use is about 10% of the available power.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited August 2023
    willo said:
    I play my Helix in 4 situations (home practice, garage rehearsal, studio rehearsal and live) and gave this lots of thought recently.

I went for the Headrush FR108 for live and at the moment it's doing double duty at home. Home will eventually be monitors, like the Kali's.

The Headrush is good. It was fashionable, then it wasn't, but in reality the sound is good if you raise it off the ground and it's super portable and cheap so perfect for my live monitoring needs. But for home use, the most you'll use is about 10% of the available power.
    I bought one of the Headrush FR cabs - the 112 - when they were crazy cheap on Amazon. I was shocked at the overall build quality etc (IN A GOOD WAY!)

I've still not used it live - I should try it asap.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    I run into the effects loop of a peavey studio amp.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    I ran my first Helix into HS7s and, while that was a great setup, it was drastically different from bypassing the cab modelling and running into a ‘real’ one. After trying it, I never went back to monitors or an FRFR rig!

I’ve not tried a HX into the L6 PowerCab, but I imagine that would be a pretty impressive combination too.
    Yeah it took me ages to get used to the monitor sound with a cab sim. I started to like it and as I use in ears too it was my default but just using the cab again the other day sounded so good. Low end and body. Felt natural and real to me so I may have to go back to using it! I wonder if they make any isocab boxes for it go inside....
  • I have a couple of power amps - an EHX 5mm and Laney Loudpedal.

But I actually get my best sound using my HX Stomp into the effects loop return on my Diesel VH4 Mini. Those little mini amp heads are great little power amps for home.

• ^ This is true! I did the same with my VH Mini(/Micro?) too - just be aware the volume is fixed with those to 100%, so you have to change the master level from the HX itself.