Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I think I need to hear more of the Darkness - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I think I need to hear more of the Darkness

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited August 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    That said, I don't like them now.  I loved the first album, hated the second, and I think Justin let himself turn into the idiot rock star he knew he wasn't at the beginning.  People tell me they rediscovered their form, but I don't care and I can't be bothered to listen.

You're missing out. He's admitted quite openly he had all sorts of problems between 2006-2010 or so but sorted himself and the later records are fantastic. They're well worth a listen if you enjoyed PTL
    I have listened to at least one of the more recent albums and thought it was OK, but I think it's more of a mindset thing for me, rather than anything to do with the music - like Alice in Chains without Layne Staley, I find it hard to connect with, or care about, even though the music is actually pretty good.  It's like I've mentally "filed it away".

I'll try again sometime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    The Darkness - obviously very strong musicians and songsmiths, wrote some classic hits, paid off their mortgages on the debut.

Built a strong fan base which allows them to continue to make music and tour and at least break even, and usually pay themselves a decent salary.

JH also now has his very successful YT channel, writes songs for other artists, to boost the old income some more.

Found a nice niche in sort-of-Queen-sort-of-Rainbow-sort-of-generic-classic rock.  I like the song in the OP, must say never heard it before.

Living the dream these days really, let's face it.  When people dream of being rock stars they never think of the relentless, draining touring schedules of the new popular artist in hock to a record deal, they really want to be where JH is now, doing music for love, talking about music for love of it, and with enough money it's never an issue.

Fair play to them.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had a similar journey with The Darkness 

I went to see them before they were signed and bought the debut on the day it came out. I rushed out and bought One Way Ticket on the day it came out and was really disappointed probably listened to it twice. 

Gave Hot Cakes a cursory listen and ignored it and from that point them.

When Motorheart came out I heard Welcome to Glasgae and thought I need to check them out again and it turns out they've done a bunch of great songs over the years especially on Last of Our Kind. 

I think having more technical drummers like Rufus Taylor has really opened up their sound as I always found Ed Graham a bit workmanlike.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I remember when they broke. Its not my kind of thing at all - its too reverential - but they were a breath of fresh air - and they seem like a good bunch. Like they might be a good craic in the pub (I know he's sober now). Bands that take themselves too seriously are sooooo pretentious and boring. Again it's isnot my genre but I've always thought rock and metal really can take its self too seriously when really it's paideal suited to keeping a tongue in cheek.....

Apart from his ludite views on the importance of "proper" music and playing an "instrument" his YouTube channel is really excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited August 2023
    I liked the first album, bought that and the second one. Think I’ve listened to the second maybe, twice? Not really paid them any attention since. 

I do have to say that JH climbing up on Jools’ piano in a striped catsuit and ripping out a solo on Later is one of the best moments ever in the whole series, so kudos to him for that. 

Edit: link for those who haven’t seen it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter