Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I think I need to hear more of the Darkness - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I think I need to hear more of the Darkness

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
When the Darkness turned up (20 years ago!!!) they were an amazing, rockin' breath of fresh air. I LOVED the big single and they stormed those crappy BRIT awards that I hate. 

The first album was pure magic, but they kind of fell off of my radar. I just had an article flag up on Farcebook that rated their albums in order. I was surprised that they have released seven! I remember them breaking up, didn't realise that they had got back together at some point.

Also on the back of this, my recent hot discovery on YouTube is Justin Hawkins rides again - the man himself talking all things music, and what a jovial, entertaining bloke he is! 

Anyway, back to the article, there were a few videos interspersed, I clicked on the one below (Rock and roll deserves to die) and it is fabulous! Apart from loving the song, the video is superb. I actually laughed out loud at one point!  I think I need to hear more of the Darkness ...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Brilliant band and I love Justin's youtube channel, his song breakdowns are great and his longer interviews with Beato and Richie Kotzen are worth watching. 

My ac/dc tribute are also starting up a darkness tribute band so I've been learning a lot of their songs - some impressive playing from both of the Hawkins brothers that I've enjoyed working on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I still struggle with the fact that apparently they were a serious band, rather than a parody act.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Last of Our Kind is a fantastic LP. In fact there are cracking tunes on all of the reunion albums. I'm going to see them again in December. Great band.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    One of the best live bands around. I dragged my mates to see them open the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury a couple of weeks before PTL came out - they were one of the absolute highlights of the weekend, and the album (bought on day one, of course) was the soundtrack of the summer. 

Hattigol said:
    I still struggle with the fact that apparently they were a serious band, rather than a parody act.
    I think they're neither. They're not a parody but they don't take themselves seriously either. But lyrically and musically they're honestly only about 10% more ridiculous than Led Zeppelin, only with a better sense of humour. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hattigol said:
    Why? Just because they act a bit silly sometimes takes nothing away from what great writers they are. Their first publishing deal with Universal was £3.5m for 2 records, which was unheard of at the time. They burned out quickly though, due to that huge amount of money I imagine, and its wonderful they are still going and what theyve achieved since (supporting Ed Sherran, Lady Ga Ga etc) as well as stil doing arenas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Hattigol said:
    I don't think they took anything seriously, that was half the fun and appeal to me. They took the piss out of themselves and other rock bands. But they wrote some really great rock songs and are one of the best rock bands I've ever seen. JH is a bonafide premier league frontman up there with the greats IMO 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Apologies for having a different opinion.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:
    You know this is a discussion forum, right? It'd be pretty dull if we all agreed on everything
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I can't believe it's been 20 years. I'm a fairweather fan so didn't really engage with anything after PTL - I will investigate. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    I wish he'd chill with the clickbate titles on his YouTube channel.

Title: The Foo Fighters are a massive pile of bollocks

Content: The Foo Fighters are really great, actually
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hattigol said:
    I have the same opinion. 
    For anyone dipping back in my post-PTL favourites are (off the top of my head)

Is It Just Me
    Every Inch of You
    Everybody Have a Good Time
    She Just a Girl, Eddie
    Open Fire
    Mudslide
    Hammer & Tongs
    Solid Gold

Just decent happy-sounding rock music
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I can't get past the slightly out of tune falsetto warbling.
    Apart from that, I think they're great.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I first saw/heard/ of them at The Isle of Wight Festival in 2003 (I think). In terms of getting up there, putting on a great show, having the time of their lives, not taking themselves too seriously and sharing that with their audience, they kicked every other bands asses. 

In terms of their energy and fun, they reminded me of Slade. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Hattigol said:
    The opinion is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who types it is 80%.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Saw them live years ago. Two words

Boob. Chariot.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Cirrus said:
    Hattigol said:
    The opinion is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who types it is 80%.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2023
    They're great, one of my all time faves, yes you should definitely check out their other stuff! The much maligned One Way Ticket has some gold on it, as do all their subsequent LPs. Amazing band live too, Dan Hawkins is superb and the rhythm section of Frankie and Rufus are rock solid. 

Highlights not off PTL are:

One Way Ticket
    Is It Just Me
    Concrete
    Solid Gold
    Open Fire
    Last Of Our Kind
    Japanese Prisoner Of Love
    Every Inch Of You
    Everybody Have A Good Time
    Easter Is Cancelled
    In Another Life

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 525
    edited August 2023
    Metal is supposed to be funny.

The only bad metal is made by those who take themselves seriously. 

And yep, the YT channel is ace!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

As said by no metal fan ever
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    axisus said:

As said by no metal fan ever
    I don't think it's supposed to be funny, but as a metal fan I have always been aware that - looking at it from the perspective of the general public - there is a degree of ridiculousness.  Not that I care.

I think that was what The Darkness got right, certainly in the early days.  The music was as good as anyone's, I don't think they were ever a parody band - unlike Steel Panther - but they were certainly self-aware, and intentionally ludicrous.

That said, I don't like them now.  I loved the first album, hated the second, and I think Justin let himself turn into the idiot rock star he knew he wasn't at the beginning.  People tell me they rediscovered their form, but I don't care and I can't be bothered to listen.

I don't like his YouTube channel, I wish he would take the piss more, although I understand he's not setting out to be cruel to anyone.  And I fucking HATE that little jingle he sings, I find it absolutely unbearable.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    DannyP said:
    I wish he'd chill with the clickbate titles on his YouTube channel.

Title: The Foo Fighters are a massive pile of bollocks

Content: The Foo Fighters are really great, actually
    It works though. It's just the game. I think he gets away with it with his persona
    Philly_Q said:

That said, I don't like them now.  I loved the first album, hated the second, and I think Justin let himself turn into the idiot rock star he knew he wasn't at the beginning.  People tell me they rediscovered their form, but I don't care and I can't be bothered to listen.

You're missing out. He's admitted quite openly he had all sorts of problems between 2006-2010 or so but sorted himself and the later records are fantastic. They're well worth a listen if you enjoyed PTL
  • Metal is supposed to be funny.

The Darkness are a metal band? When did this happen?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327

Was gonna say the same.... Heavy Rock but never metal!! \m/

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Boromedic said:

Was gonna say the same.... Heavy Rock but never metal!! \m/
    Agreed, more of a Queen type band, not metal.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I think of them as a 'classic rock' sound. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Hmm, classic rock, glam metal, novelty act. Lemmy think about it.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Kilgore said:
    Hmm, classic rock, glam metal, novelty act. Lemmy think about it.
    More Cabaret Rock I think....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1