Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If a rockstar could come back to life who would it be? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If a rockstar could come back to life who would it be?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Kilgore said:
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Robert Johnson.  Those early blues tracks seem to form a basis for so much.

No chance. He made that deal at the crossroads, his soul is staying where it is.  ;)
    Sad to think he sold his soul at a dour Midlands motel with shaky walls:(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Gram Parsons

Jeff Buckley

Sandy Denny
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited August 2023
    The only thing about the likes of Hendrix, Jim Morrison etc. is they became legends partly because they died young.

I reckon, with a bit of therapy, Kurt Cobain could still be writing good songs. Even if his voice was knackered. 
    Not so sure tbh - they were both groundbreaking. Jimi reinvented rock playing and blew the (high quality competition) out of the water and Morrison to me came along and combined the beat poets approach with jazz rock and the whole wild tortured rock star cliche to a tee.
    I think Jimi still had a lot of gas in the tank in terms of musical potential. He was already moving away from the blues and into jazz and was getting pissed off with having to play his “old” material like Purple Haze, even though it was only 4 or 5 years old when he died. I would’ve loved to see what direction he went in.

Jimmy Dewar went too young, he was a phenomenal singer who never really got the recognition he deserved, he’ll always be known as Robin Trower’s bass player by the majority, assuming they even know who he was in the first place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    If Hendrix had moved into jazz I wouldn't have wanted to listen to him any more.  Still sorry he's no longer with us, of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    edited August 2023
    Kilgore said:
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Robert Johnson.  Those early blues tracks seem to form a basis for so much.

No chance. He made that deal at the crossroads, his soul is staying where it is. 
    Sad to think he sold his soul at a dour Midlands motel with shaky walls:(

Come on in my kitchen, Miss Diane.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    boogieman said:
    Jimmy Dewar went too young, he was a phenomenal singer who never really got the recognition he deserved, he’ll always be known as Robin Trower’s bass player by the majority, assuming they even know who he was in the first place. 
    Absolutely.  He had a wonderful voice, and he wasn't too shabby on the bass either.  Very sadly missed.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    What would have been worse?

Hendrix's late 70s coke-fuelled AOR album that took 18 months to record and near bankrupted the label? Or his 97 comeback produced by Wyclef, with guest appearances by Mel B, the singer from Creed and Nigel Kennedy?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Reverend said:
    What would have been worse?

Hendrix's late 70s coke-fuelled AOR album that took 18 months to record and near bankrupted the label? Or his 97 comeback produced by Wyclef, with guest appearances by Mel B, the singer from Creed and Nigel Kennedy?
    I think the 1989 tour with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood - with Phil Collins on drums and occasional guest appearances by Dave Mason - would've been pretty grim.
  • Robertson!..and he's still alive ;)
    Doh! ;-/
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I haven't been reading the thread, but it's mad to imagine how much music we have lost with the deaths of Hendrix, Lennon, Kurt Cobain and everyone else. I think that is genuinely the saddest of all.
    Robertson!..and he's still alive ;)
    Doh! ;-/
    Wasn't that weird?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I suspect that digitalkettle meant Brian, formerly of Thin Lizzy.
    Be seeing you.
  • I suspect that digitalkettle meant Brian, formerly of Thin Lizzy.
    Nope, I was correcting the OP's reference to 'Robbie Robinson' 11 days ago ;-/
    And Brian Robertson's not dead either.  At time of writing...
  • Philly_Q said:
    Uh oh...someone had better warn Brian!
  • Philly_Q said:
    Doh! Better response: don't believe a word!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Buddy Holly, of course.

Plenty of others worth mentioning, but Buddy stands alone as the greatest loss of talent due to early death since the world lost Mozart.