Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If a rockstar could come back to life who would it be? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If a rockstar could come back to life who would it be?

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    FZ - he'd be president by now. Would love to see him facing off against Trump in one of those staged debates they do.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited August 2023
    The only thing about the likes of Hendrix, Jim Morrison etc. is they became legends partly because they died young.

I reckon, with a bit of therapy, Kurt Cobain could still be writing good songs. Even if his voice was knackered. 
    Not so sure tbh - they were both groundbreaking. Jimi reinvented rock playing and blew the (high quality competition) out of the water and Morrison to me came along and combined the beat poets approach with jazz rock and the whole wild tortured rock star cliche to a tee.

I agree. Note the word "partly".
    Aha - dont expect me to recognise nuance - I can't do that ! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    blobb said:
    FZ - he'd be president by now. Would love to see him facing off against Trump in one of those staged debates they do.
    Yes to the second sentence, but Trump hasn't got the intelligence to understand how stupid he was being made to look.  He'd just resort to a load of bullshit rabble-rousing and name-calling.  Which would, sadly, appeal to more voters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Philly_Q said:
    blobb said:
    Yes to the second sentence, but Trump hasn't got the intelligence to understand how stupid he was being made to look.  He'd just resort to a load of bullshit rabble-rousing and name-calling.  Which would, sadly, appeal to more voters.
    WRONG!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I don't really know much about him, but.... Nick Drake might be an interesting one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    blobb said:
    WRONG!!!
    @roberty Which bit in particular had you resorting to capitals and exclamation marks?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    blobb said:
    WRONG!!!
    @roberty Which bit in particular had you resorting to capitals and exclamation marks?
    I was employing Trump's own debating tactics to illustrate your point, which I happen to agree with
    Ah, I see. :)
    Philly_Q said:
    Should have done a winky face. Sorry :-)
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Should have done a winky face. Sorry :-)
    No, just me being thick.  Trump-like, even.
  • wesker123 said:
    Jeff Buckley

or Clapton 
    Half a wiz there!
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    Easy to say some obvious big names - Bowie, Prince, Elvis, Lennon and even Jimi H - But 'd pick Buddy Holly - Not because I'm his biggest fan - But 'pop music' as we now know it, that is guitar based, was only a couple of years old when Buddy was around - He created many great songs in such a sort time - Massive influence on The Beatles - It would have been great to see what more he could have come up with and how he'd have changed his own career/writing when the Brit Pop explosion arrived 

That's something that I've always wondered, Mark. I grew up with Buddy Holly as my first idol - although he died a year before I was born, his music was always on on our record player, and I loved his songwriting and guitar skills.

He embraced new ideas as well and I can't help thinking that he would have gone on to be a master writer and producer, possibly even aligning with the country scene. He'd 'only' be around 85 now as well - what a talent we were deprived of.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My obvious ones would be  EVH etc
      but I’d like to put forward Jeff Porcaro 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    edited August 2023
    Rory Gallagher. 

Waylon Jennings. 

Karen Carpenter.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1189
    tFB Trader
    Chris Cornell
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    rlw said:
    I'm just pondering a band comprising Jimi Hendris, Jack Bruce and Keith Moon.....................
    I have often thought that the rumoured Hendrix, Lennon, Brian Jones band would have been interesting. Iirc there has even been mention of Steve Marriott on vocals -so if we could raise those four, wow what a super group. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rlw said:
    I'm just pondering a band comprising Jimi Hendris, Jack Bruce and Keith Moon.....................
    I have often thought that the rumoured Hendrix, Lennon, Brian Jones band would have been interesting. Iirc there has even been mention of Steve Marriott on vocals -so if we could raise those four, wow what a super group. 
    I'm not too struck on the rhythm section....
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    We've already had Bon Scott and Freddie, so I'll throw Steve Clark into the mix.  Leppard might still be a rock band.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited August 2023
    We've already had Bon Scott and Freddie, so I'll throw Steve Clark into the mix.  Leppard might still be a rock band.
    I was reading an interview with Vivian Campbell the other day, talking about the differences between playing with Last in Line and Def Leppard.  He says the Leppard show is very much "set", he and Phil have to be spot on with their respective guitar parts and vocals, there's no room for improvisation.  I'd imagine Steve Clark was a bit more free-form (I did actually see them on the first Hysteria tour, but I don't remember much about it).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Back to life - John McGeoch

Restored to full health - Jason Becker
    Be seeing you.
  • Back to life - John McGeoch

Restored to full health - Jason Becker
    Jason Becker in full health would be stupendously awesome
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Robert Johnson.  Those early blues tracks seem to form a basis for so much.

+1 for Rory Gallagher 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Elvis , just to put everyones mind at rest.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    And by the same token, Tupac.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Philly_Q said:
    robgilmo said:
    And by the same token, Tupac.
    Elvis and Morrison in a bar, Elvis says to Morrison 'so they dont believe you either'?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • munckee said:
    I think they should all stay dead to preserve their legacy as per @LastMantra otherwise they'd all bring out a frog song at some point.
    If Paul was still alive, he'd never have done that! ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Definitely Zappa would be interesting.

Also Warren Zevon to see how many comeback albums he would have released. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Robert Johnson.  Those early blues tracks seem to form a basis for so much.

No chance. He made that deal at the crossroads, his soul is staying where it is.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kilgore said:

No chance. He made that deal at the crossroads, his soul is staying where it is.  ;)
    Sad to think he sold his soul at a dour Midlands motel with shaky walls:(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Rod Stewart
    tae be or not tae be