Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Downsizing amp from Fender TM Twin Reverb to....? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Downsizing amp from Fender TM Twin Reverb to....?

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
So I gave up gigging at the end of last year and was using a TM Twin Reverb, which I do love, but am at a point now where I don't need anything this big, and could do with freeing up some space, and cash. Ideally, I'd probably move to the TM Deluxe Reverb but I don't think that would free up much money in the grand scheme of things, so looking at potential other options.

I know the Blues Junior gets a bit of a bad rep, but there are a number of special editions - some are just cosmetic and some have different speakers I believe. Are any better than others or are they all much of a muchness? 

What other options should I look at? As I'm not in a band, I like messing around with sounds and hope to build a bit of an ambient-style pedalboard over the coming months, but also into idie-pop type stuff (think Sam Fender, Coldplay (sorry!). I don't think I'll be gigging again any time soon (until my sisters wedding but that's not until June '24!) so don't need anything particularly powerful.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 108
    Get a second hand older Fender SS amp like the Champion 40 or 112 plus (look around on eBay as there are often silly bargains for these amps). Or a second hand Peavey bandit or something like a Session BluesBaby.

You could gig with any of these amps and they are all smaller than a twin and only cost a few hundred quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Sounds like the TMDR would be ideal tbh. I’d look for someone with the DR who wants to trade+cash 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The latest MkIV Blues Junior - with a pine cabinet, which makes much more difference than you might expect - sounds much better than the previous versions. A Jensen speaker (eg C12Q) improves them too.

They are really quite expensive now though, so might not save you much money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    edited July 2023
    I’ve got a TM Princeton for sale…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    edited July 2023
    I too was about to say, a Fender TM Princeton, but I have to say my Mk2 Boss Katana 50 is a great little Amp and I only paid £150 for it . . . The Clean Tone with a little Reverb is VERY Fendery . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Can't go wrong with a bandit.

Paid about £100 for mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    If the cash grab bit is priority, then this would be a great idea. 

No affiliation at all, I’ve just been impressed with all the three Mustang amps I’ve tried. I don’t think any of these amps model things particularly well but you can find a clean, crunchy and higher gain tone you like, nail them to a preset and be done with the options 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Don’t forget the Super Champ X2 as well,; the clean channel is very blackface-like and takes pedals really well, and the drive channel has a lot of range across its voices. The built-in verbs and trems are decent too!

You should be able to pick one up for less than £200, I bought a ltd. oxblood version with a G10M greenback last year.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Pro-Junior?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Get a second hand older Fender SS amp like the Champion 40 or 112 plus (look around on eBay as there are often silly bargains for these amps). Or a second hand Peavey bandit or something like a Session BluesBaby.

You could gig with any of these amps and they are all smaller than a twin and only cost a few hundred quid.

The Deluxe Plus 112 is nice, loud, but Fendery. Last time I looked one went for £51 on eBay, with the original 4 ohm blue stickered Fender speaker included. Good luck with your search.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    ICBM said:
    The latest MkIV Blues Junior - with a pine cabinet, which makes much more difference than you might expect - sounds much better than the previous versions. A Jensen speaker (eg C12Q) improves them too.

They are really quite expensive now though, so might not save you much money.
    Blues Jrs have a pine cabinet now? 
    Lewy said:

I think the MkIV Blues/Hotrod series all do, as well as Celestion A-Type speakers which are a big improvement over the previous Seventy/80 and Fender ‘brown label’ Eminences.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

I think the MkIV Blues/Hotrod series all do, as well as Celestion A-Type speakers which are a big improvement over the previous Seventy/80 and Fender ‘brown label’ Eminences.
    Still says particle board on Fender website 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3493
    edited July 2023
    If you're looking at something of the Blues Jr size and power I'd advise you to look at the Laney Supercub 12 combo. It has the same dinky size, same 15w output and the same EL84 output valves but with 3 key benefits:

• foot switchable boost, with an adjustment from light clean boost through to pretty snarly overdrive
    • effects loop
    • separate 1w input for getting cranked valve tones at neighbour-friendly volumes

It's also cheaper too, which is a plus!

Gets rave reviews:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/laney-cub-super12

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/laney-cub-super12-review
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    A Bandit sounds much bigger and deeper than a Blues or Pro Jr and is a quarter of the price used. They take drive pedals really and are way more versatile too. 

I honestly think it would be way better for building an ambient pedalboard than a 15w valve amp would be. 
    noisepolluter said:

Still says particle board on Fender website 
    So it does. Interesting... the one I played sounded *miles* better than the previous version, and the new Hotrod Deluxe definitely does have a pine cabinet, so I assumed the BJ did too. It must be the speaker and some circuit changes that make it sound better.

p90fool said:
    A Bandit sounds much bigger and deeper than a Blues or Pro Jr and is a quarter of the price used. They take drive pedals really and are way more versatile too. 

I honestly think it would be way better for building an ambient pedalboard than a 15w valve amp would be. 
    I held off saying this because I sound like a stuck record a lot, but I agree :). Or actually, I think the Studio Pro would do the job just as well and is smaller and even cheaper (although is now rarer).

• BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 269
    Quilter Cub US. Three flavours of vintage Fender amps that can be combined. Wonderful edge of breakup sounds can be had at any volume. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    edited July 2023
    Some really cool options here guys…many I’d not thought of at all so will be off on the YouTube rabbit hole shortly!!
    edited July 2023
    Who can remind me which are the ‘better’ Bandits? Too many different stripe colours!! @ICBM ?
    Who can remind me which are the ‘better’ Bandits? Too many different stripe colours!! @ICBM ?
    As far as being a pedalboard platform is concerned, the best one is the next one that turns up on ebay near you for a hundred quid. :)

They're all good clean platforms really, but the current 2018-up version has some useful extra features and sounds great, so there's no need to hold out for rarer, more "desirable" models. 
    p90fool said:
    As far as being a pedalboard platform is concerned, the best one is the next one that turns up on ebay near you for a hundred quid. :)

They're all good clean platforms really, but the current 2018-up version has some useful extra features and sounds great, so there's no need to hold out for rarer, more "desirable" models. 
    Thank you sir, I shall set up an eBay alert!
    Any of the Transtube models are fine. The earlier Solo series (and even older ones) are also good amps, but don’t have the valve-like response, even on the clean sound.

There is an 'In the blues' video where he compares a Bandit to a Fender Deluxe 112. He is a long time advocate of the Bandit and thinks the Fender is equally good. Just depends which has the best price on eBay!
    There is an 'In the blues' video where he compares a Bandit to a Fender Deluxe 112. He is a long time advocate of the Bandit and thinks the Fender is equally good. Just depends which has the best price on eBay!
    I would dispute that as a pedal platform tbh, the Fender sounds fine but is very brittle with some drives and especially fuzz pedals. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    p90fool said:
    I would dispute that as a pedal platform tbh, the Fender sounds fine but is very brittle with some drives and especially fuzz pedals. 

All the better to hype the Bandit's capabilities! ;)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    p90fool said:
    Another win for the Bandit haha!

In general I feel that second hand, older analog SS amps are where the true bargains are. For the price of a new Tone Master you could buy several different ones and test them, then sell the ones you don't like.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    My Orange Crush 35RT is for sale, Mark. You’re only in the next county to me too. Check out some of the YouTube vids on it if you want to consider it at all. 
    I play at my dining room table.
    Deadman said:
    My Orange Crush 35RT is for sale, Mark. You’re only in the next county to me too. Check out some of the YouTube vids on it if you want to consider it at all. 
    Cheers @Deadman ….I’ll have a squiz when I’m back home with better internet! 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    No worries @markslade07 I’ve just popped it in the classifieds 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Is this downsizing in the physical sense to a smaller cabinet or in the volume sense of lower sound pressure levels? 

I thought that the entire Fender Tone Master series had power stage attenuation via the rear panel.
    Be seeing you.