Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The addictive Matchless sound.....what to do? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The addictive Matchless sound.....what to do?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 112
    edited August 2023
    Though I've never played a matchless in person I've really liked the matchless demos I've heard. That chimey edge of breakup sounds amazing. I don't really go for gainy sounds so I glaze over when they start cranking it up.

So then I got a Ceriatone lightning. Got Nik to build the amp chassis and ship it over so it cost about £600 or so (with shipping and import fees) and I have to sort a speaker and cabinet. It's really nice. One of the changes ceriatone have made from the Matchless design is a 3-way high-cut filter at the input. That really helps with the often-mentioned ice pick.

Compared to a Vox AC15 it sounds kinda smoother and more 'muscular'. I like vox cleans but as soon as they start getting gainy I find it unpleasant (I'd call it 'grainy' if that makes any sense). The lightning smoothes that out, along with a hefty dose if midrange for a really powerful, cutting tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    As an update, I am going to give a vox AC15 a go, there's one cheap for sale locally (greenback loaded). From the research I've done, I think it'll not only give me close enough to the sound I'm after, but also giggable. I'm not ever able to push my Rockerverb at gigs, so having the option of taking something I can hopefully gun a bit more and doesn't weigh a tonne too will be nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Vintage-T said:
    I've become totally addicted to the Matchless Channel 1 & 2 emulations in the Helix.

This has got me pondering, unfortunately for me, pondering generally costs money.

Now I do not have anywhere near the dollar required for a Matchless, so that's off the table. But a ballpark amp would be of interest. 

I've come down to a few options.

1. Just stop now and continue to enjoy the Helix versions, they're blooming good.

2. An AC 10, 15 or 30? Worried that the lovely cranked sounds won't be achievable even at gig volumes anymore though.

3. Maybe the UA Ruby (but is this any different really to the Helix?)

4. Maybe a Ceriatone Muchle$$ DZ 30? But importing from the States likely to also be horribly expensive.

5. A Bad Cat or Morgan....but which?

6. Something else? A pedal (Big Trees?), a different EL84 amp that'll get in the ball park? I love the snarl of it, especially channel 2.

Any suggestions?
    In 2010, I bought a Ceriatone DZ30. They are made in Malaysia actually, you import them directly from the maker, Nik, who runs a large custom workshop/factory
    I was never that amazed by it. Eventually bought a Matchless DC30. I found that the DZ30 sounded way better through the DC30 speakers (they are mismatched intentionally, and doped)

Anyway, the DC30 is still my favourite amp. I had 16 top-end amps, and the 3 I kept are 2 Ceriatone Dumble clones and the DC30. It is amazing, and brings out so much detail in my playing, it's inspirational

I didn't get much when I sold the DZ30

I had a Bad Cat Hot cat which was similar, sold that very cheaply sadly, demand is low.

Closest in feel to the DC30 in the amps I've owned was a White Vox AC15 H1TV (TV shaped ones). These were made in China, with a Celestion blue also made in China. I tried one out with a UK blue in a separate cab, and it sounded wrong, so I assume they tweaked the amp and speaker to match each other. These were "hand wired", but using wraps around posts.
    Unlike the later HW models, these have an EF86 channel, and it definitely had the feel of the DC30 for me.
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    Traynor YGM-3 (yes I’m selling mine - it’s in the classifieds). How would I describe it? It’s pretty voxy as it is EL84/ but with Fendery traits because of the tremolo and reverb design. They are point to point and cheap as chips.
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 162
    I love guitarists...

"I'm so happy with the thing I already have, that I'm thinking of changing it..."

;)
    My guitarist life in one sentence  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter