Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Ballard of Darren (BLUR) - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Ballard of Darren (BLUR)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Excellent!

I love Tape Notes and the new Blur album so I'm looking forward to this :)
    Some good home demo's on there, worth checking out :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    LPManic said:
    Let's all be friends @Chuffola and @darthed1981 ; ;)
    Never considered you otherwise old chap!
    But he doesn't like Blur, put him in the stocks and make him listen to Sam Smith!
    It's true I don't like Blur but I do have a soft spot for Beetlebum and End of a Century. #Imissthe90s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    LPManic said:
     #Imissthe90s
    Wis!

Wonderful time from British rock music, not just the "Britpop" big four (Oasis, Blur,Pulp, Suede) but the other genuinely legendary British rock acts who came along... Radiohead, the Manics, Supergrass, Placebo, Ash, The Verve, OCS...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

Excellent!

I love Tape Notes and the new Blur album so I'm looking forward to this :)
    Some good home demo's on there, worth checking out :)

I have now listened to it and can confirm that it's excellent. 

Something that hits home is how important all the members of the band are to the sound.

Damon's demos are great and could very easily form the basis of a decent solo record, but it's not until the others are added that it elevates and becomes a "Blur record"

Graham especially is hugely impressive. Something like "St Charles Square" is a bossa nova ballady thing in demo form. When I hear a song that has such a powerful riff I always assume that's how it started and the song was constructed around it, but to be able to write something so fresh and powerful in the context of an existing song that changes the context of the whole thing is really impressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817

Damon is also on the latest Sodajerker on Songwriting podcast.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Graham especially is hugely impressive. Something like "St Charles Square" is a bossa nova ballady thing in demo form. When I hear a song that has such a powerful riff I always assume that's how it started and the song was constructed around it, but to be able to write something so fresh and powerful in the context of an existing song that changes the context of the whole thing is really impressive.
    Funnily enough was saying to Mrs Ed the other day (she wasn't listening, but I did say it) that one of the most likeable things about Blur is that when Damon leans towards the trite, like on bits of The Great Escape, you always have Graham to pull it back.

As you correctly point out, it isn't just Graham of course, but a song like "Stereotypes", which is the definition of trite as far as Damon is concerned (it's just "the middle classes are twats" and he had recorded that 20 times at this point) is turned from something mediocre into something very special with the addition of Graham sawing through it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I was always more an Oasis kid but love the top stuff from Blur on a good day. I haven't enjoyed this one yet though after a couple of listens. Only the closing track really clicked
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817

On the Sodajerker podcast, Albarn mentioned that the original demo of "Song 2" was a bossa nova too. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just bought an old second hand copy of Blur's first "Best Of" from the late 90s.

Unlike the DVD version of same it didn't have all the singles on, and unlike "Midlife" their later comp, it doesn't have album track classics like "Blue Jeans" on.

However, it's just banger after banger after banger.

Blur really are and were, very, very good indeed.