Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Ballard of Darren (BLUR) - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Ballard of Darren (BLUR)

What's Hot
guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
Thought I would play the new album from Blur, not what I really expected, need a few listens before I can really comment on this. 
Did Coxon play on this?, as none of his magical skills seem to be on the album.

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Yep I'm a bit disappointed in it.

I bought it over the weekend and in some places it reminded me of the Lightning Seeds which is no bad thing (although without Ian Broudie's quirkiness).  Its a bit sludgy elsewhere tbh and you are right, there's none of the inventiveness of GC in evidence
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    Yep I'm a bit disappointed in it.

I bought it over the weekend and in some places it reminded me of the Lightning Seeds which is no bad thing (although without Ian Broudie's quirkiness).  Its a bit sludgy elsewhere tbh and you are right, there's none of the inventiveness of GC in evidence
    You can hear rumbles of GC in some of the tunes, but I was expecting more. I have a few songs yet to play but like you very disappointed 
    “Ken sent me.”
    @darthed1981 what are your thoughts on this ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Hi @guitartango - didn't see the thread thanks for the tag!!

I've listened all the way through once, obviously not on the level of their peak and pomp, very little anyone does is, but I did find it an interesting listen.  

If anything overall it feels more like the more mellow tracks off 13  and Think Tank than anything else, songs like "1992" off that one remind me of the new one.

A few thoughts...

"St Charles Square" strikes me as a classic Coxon riff - it's amusing to watch the video and look at him playing it - it's very "Coxon" (fiddly, looks fiddly)...

"Barbaric" is interesting - very driven by a classic Alex bassline, the guitar there is almost Johnny Marr like rather than Graham's more sledgehammer style!  The post ... is that a key change?... bit though is very lovely.

"Russian Strings" is off one of the last two Arctic Monkey's albums surely?  

"The Narcissist" - the most Blur thing on the album, but missing the anger of youth - which I think is basically it - Coxon got it all out on his solo albums - now they write songs about being a dickhead when you are younger - it sounds autobiographical to me.

No time now to do all the tracks but some thoughts!

I think now he's so often working on both at once the lines between Blur and Gorillaz are blurring (lol) more all the time.  I get the impression that most of this album was Blur fattening up demos Albarn had kicking around as opposed to whatever their process used to be.

I remember hearing the song "Silent Running" off the last Gorillaz album and thinking "hang on, this is a fucking Blur song" - I'm not saying some of the songs here sound like they may have been Gorillaz demos, but, if I found out they were I'd not be shocked.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I like it a lot. Feels like a meditation on middle age and the dying of the flame of passion and youth. I think Coxon's playing is subtler but great - some lovely lines on The Ballad, for example. 

St Charles Square though is full-on robo-Coxon, surely?? Narcissist has some great Coxon noise guitar too towards the end. They're 30 years on from Parklife / Modern Life Is Rubbish and it's very different. Agree that most is like the 13 / Think Tank mellower tracks. That's not a bad thing for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If anyone hasn't heard the non album single they kicked out a decade or so back, "Under the Westway" that's a lot like classic Blur and you will kick yourself if you've never heard it!

Must dig out, literally or metaphorically "Magic Whip" for another spin, "to the local.." etc

I generally find it a good sign if a new album warms up my love of a band again :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hi @guitartango - didn't see the thread thanks for the tag!!

I've listened all the way through once, obviously not on the level of their peak and pomp, very little anyone does is, but I did find it an interesting listen.  

If anything overall it feels more like the more mellow tracks off 13  and Think Tank than anything else, songs like "1992" off that one remind me of the new one.

A few thoughts...

"St Charles Square" strikes me as a classic Coxon riff - it's amusing to watch the video and look at him playing it - it's very "Coxon" (fiddly, looks fiddly)...

"Barbaric" is interesting - very driven by a classic Alex bassline, the guitar there is almost Johnny Marr like rather than Graham's more sledgehammer style!  The post ... is that a key change?... bit though is very lovely.

"Russian Strings" is off one of the last two Arctic Monkey's albums surely?  

"The Narcissist" - the most Blur thing on the album, but missing the anger of youth - which I think is basically it - Coxon got it all out on his solo albums - now they write songs about being a dickhead when you are younger - it sounds autobiographical to me.

No time now to do all the tracks but some thoughts!

I think now he's so often working on both at once the lines between Blur and Gorillaz are blurring (lol) more all the time.  I get the impression that most of this album was Blur fattening up demos Albarn had kicking around as opposed to whatever their process used to be.

I remember hearing the song "Silent Running" off the last Gorillaz album and thinking "hang on, this is a fucking Blur song" - I'm not saying some of the songs here sound like they may have been Gorillaz demos, but, if I found out they were I'd not be shocked.
    Thanks for the detailed analysis, I will listening again tomorrow morning while I dodge the morning drive to Cambridge. Like the NG album, i needed a few listens before I started to enjoy the music. I was expecting more Coxon, but I am sure that this will grow on me. Trouble is I can't hum any of the tunes and this is a big deal for me. 

I was expecting Tracy Jacks and got Tracy Barlow ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I think the title should have been….”Leave it Darren, she’s not worth it”

https://youtu.be/K79Z26S73Ug
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited July 2023
    I bought it. It’s not a bad album. The thing is Blur will always be associated with Britpop. They were the sound of the mid to late 90s. After Parklife came out we had new Labour, an optimistic time in our collective history and music with a very British sense of humour. Problem is now it’s 2023, the world is messed up and Blur aren’t young men anymore. 

My point? The album isn’t want people expect. It is however pretty good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Funny thought occurred that the last album where Blur did what was expected was "The Great Escape" in 1995... so we have had a few years, and God knows how many gorillaz albums, to get used to Damon being contrary.
    Agree with that and I'd actually contend that every Blur album since The Great Escape has only had a handful of "Blur-like" tracks - the vast bulk of the output has been nothing like the Britpop glory years - but there have been some absolute stunners. Trimm Trabb, for example. 

I will say that St Charles Square and The Narcissist were absolutely immense live. Instant classics and unmistakably Blur. 
    Trimm Trabb is fucking epic!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 847
    edited July 2023
    New album is an absolute darling of a record in my eyes, only wish they’d included Sticks and Stones on the UK version, 36 minutes long is pretty short for any album but it’s 36 minutes of utter heartbreakingly beautiful songs for me. Stand out tracks Russian Strings, The Ballad, Goodbye Albert and The Heights. Saw the Saturday at Wembley and it proved how vital Blur are still, last nights show at the Apollo was epic and the songs sounded even better live. Encore was incredible with some utter gems Pyongyang, Clover over Dover, Mr Briggs, All your life, Theme from and imaginary film(my fave Parklife era song) and finally The Universal….but hearing Darren played in full from start to finish was incredible. Can’t see why anyone could slate the record, beautiful arrangements and lyrically fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Magic Whip I prefer I have to say.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 758
    Useless but true trivia is my late father's dentist is the swimmer in the pic in the album cover.

As you were :)

H

www.proudhoney.com

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Blur were epic at Wembley - we went on Saturday and whilst they only played at Charles square and narcissist that night, they felt so right in the set. 

I’m loving the new album so far and I’m trying to find some kid free time to enjoy it at proper volume.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Everything about the album and all the promo has reminded me why I never liked Blur the first time round. 
    Just paid too much to add a vinyl copy of 13 to my collection - so only Think Tank (meh) and Magic Whip (hmm) I've only got on CD now.

I've also got that big singles box from the 10th anniversary somewhere!

I love Blur :)
    If anyone missed Blur night on BBC2 on Saturday, the BBC2 In Concert from a couple of weeks ago was fantastic. Well worth watching on catch up, Apart from @LPManic :)
    Chuffola said:
    If anyone missed Blur night on BBC2 on Saturday, the BBC2 In Concert from a couple of weeks ago was fantastic. Well worth watching on catch up, Apart from @LPManic :)
    If somebody hadn't done a drive-by to say they don't like the band, it wouldn't be a TFB music thread...

Thanks for the tip BTW will check it out...
    @guitartango ; - changed your opinion or still not a fan?
    @guitartango ; - changed your opinion or still not a fan?
    After playing the album everyday in the car, the album has grown on me. Not many catchy tunes but still enjoyable.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Let's all be friends @Chuffola and @darthed1981 ; ;)
    LPManic said:
    Never considered you otherwise old chap!
    Nor me!
  • LPManic said:
    But he doesn't like Blur, put him in the stocks and make him listen to Sam Smith!
    “Ken sent me.”
    LPManic said:
    But he doesn't like Blur, put him in the stocks and make him listen to Sam Smith!
    Oh god, that's horrible, nobody deserves that! ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • “Ken sent me.”
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

Excellent!

I love Tape Notes and the new Blur album so I'm looking forward to this :)
    Thanks will definitely give that a listen. :)