Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Digital Piano advise - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Digital Piano advise

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it over time. I'm a rubbish teacher and generally not very good at sharing knowledge as my communication is a bit patchy, but it's fun to chat about other stuff than guitar (notwithstanding the fact the site is a guitar site haha).

I think you'll be very happy with the FP60X as a piece of kit - I have the FP30X and do my wedding gigs on it and it's very capable - I wasn't tempted by the FP60X as much because of the extra size and having to cart it from my car around various areas of wedding venues quickly, so the FP30X was the right balance for me especially as I only really need that one piano sound on it (I've literally barely touched the others so the extra features of the 60X would be lost on me I imagine). If I were using it at home then it would be different I'm sure.

Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    @bassbora - cool. I should have bought a digital piano with speakers ages ago.

Just being able to turn it on and playing , without any other gear, is great. It's hooked up to an MODX for when I want more sounds, but often I just switch it on and work out quick ideas when watching YT music theory videos. 

Enjoy. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited August 2023
    @bassbora funny, I ended up with the 30x.

I’d grabbed a used 60x but it arrived in poor condition so I returned it.  The 30x was discounted $50, Roland is running a $100 rebate on it, and I had another $150 in accumulated points at an online vendor.  So even though I would have liked the 60x’s upward-facing speakers (clearly a superior piano in that regard), I saved a ton of money on this slightly lesser machine that has everything else I want.  Namely, late night headphone sessions.

Also worth noting, I did try out other brands in a shop, namely Yamaha and Casio, but also a store brand called Williams Overture.  Whatever one’s opinion is on the sound quality of the pianos, I found the graded hammer key action on the Rolands to be far more realistic than anything else I tried.
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 128
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it over time. I'm a rubbish teacher and generally not very good at sharing knowledge as my communication is a bit patchy, but it's fun to chat about other stuff than guitar (notwithstanding the fact the site is a guitar site haha).

I think you'll be very happy with the FP60X as a piece of kit - I have the FP30X and do my wedding gigs on it and it's very capable - I wasn't tempted by the FP60X as much because of the extra size and having to cart it from my car around various areas of wedding venues quickly, so the FP30X was the right balance for me especially as I only really need that one piano sound on it (I've literally barely touched the others so the extra features of the 60X would be lost on me I imagine). If I were using it at home then it would be different I'm sure.

Enjoy!
    Sorry for a late reply guys I have been away.

I read your reply on either this thread or another one when you mentioned the FP30X and because of that it was a serious contender.  Your input played a big role in going with Roland and I was mostly thinking about the 30 because of that.  It was very informative and made me seriously look at all options.  I looked at the comparison videos from Merriam Music on youtube.  I went through lots of those and from the responses here and those videos (and actually more than Merriam) decided to go with the 60X.  It just sounded to me that the playing experience might be greater for me but after receiving it because of the size and weight I thought I should maybe have gone with the 30.  I have been busy over the last week and not had time to explore and start playing the piano but I should have more time now after the next couple of days.

@Cranky I saw your post about getting a 60 but returning it.  That was also a big thing for me to get a new and not look at used or B stock.  I was worried I would end up with returns and hassle.  I also decided to go with Roland because couple of people mentioned here and the review videos mentioned that the Yamaha has a bit of a heavier key action.

@goldtop thanks and I should have as well have gotten one years ago.  But I have finally done it now so no point in dwelling on the past lol.

Thanks again guys for all your comments and inputs I read them all and even if I might not have responded to each individually I took it all in and thought about it all.