Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Learning Riffs, how long? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Learning Riffs, how long?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    GuyBoden said:
    I get confused about what is a Riff and what is a Lick. They sound the same. :)
    Riffs are the main motifs that happen usually in the intro of a song and sometimes/often throughout it as well. 

Licks are just phrases, often within solos. "Licks" is a stupid word and I don't think I've ever used it outside of this post. 

But. I play Jazz.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    GuyBoden said:
    Riffs are the main motifs that happen usually in the intro of a song and sometimes/often throughout it as well. 
    That’s a turnaround in my language :lol: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Yorkie said:
    GuyBoden said:
    I get confused about what is a Turnaround and what is a Reacharound. They sound the same. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Yorkie said:
    GuyBoden said:
    I get confused about what is a Turnaround and what is a Reacharound. They sound the same. 
    One is hard,the other is...hang on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't want to sound patronising but make sure you understand what you are playing...something deeper than a sequence of numbers in tab...then it has more chance of getting ingrained, e.g. key, underlying chords, time sig, tempo, etc.
    +1 for this

I had a similar issue to the OP and went and (finally!) got some lessons. They helped embed the concept of pentatonic scales, arpeggios etc and now I find riff learning significantly easier as I can recognise shapes and patterns quicker.

Clearly my own lack of talent is the issue now - it turns out it's more frustrating knowing what you're supposed to play (but can't!) rather than not being able to learn it in the first place!  =)