Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). BOLT GUITARS RAFFLE - DONE! @Jonathangus won! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

BOLT GUITARS RAFFLE - DONE! @Jonathangus won!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    TTony said:
    @Jonathangus - I'll be shipping it, so let me know if any days are better/worse for it to arrive and I'll try to schedule it accordingly.
    Thanks @TTony - PM incoming.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Good work @Jonathangus , and thanks again to all concerned.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 307
    edited August 2023
    Congratulations @Jonathangus and well done everyone for donating the kit, building it, organising the draw and raising some dosh!
    I love my brick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    See....  I told you I wouldn't win it, which is exactly why I didn't enter.  Congrats to @Jonathangus.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Congratulations @Jonathangus ;

Can't wait to see you rocking it! 
  • Congrats @Jonathangus!

We are made up over here to be able to contribute. 

Well played to everyone involved.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Good on you @Jonathangus !
    Cheers, folks!

@neilybob; @lovestrat74 - I'll bring it down to Bristol, and if we ever get High Wycombe sorted out, there too.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    OK, taking this one down now - again, thanks to all who participated and donated!
    <space for hire>
    So, this just arrived...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Awesome! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm amazed that it got to you with that blurry label 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    So, this just arrived...

There's a co-incidence.

That box looks just like the box that I sent on Wednesday!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    So, about time I gave my thoughts...

It's gone together really nicely indeed.  The neck is a good fit in the pocket, the tuners work well, and everything feels solid.  Nice light weight, too.

Comparing the pickups to my Mex Player Tele, I'd say they're a little hotter with less spanky high end than the Fender.  Not better or worse - just different.

On to the neck, which is the definite high point.  You've already seen the tremendous flame from Tony's pics, but you can't sense the lovely feel of the oiled finish.  It's actually the first maple board I've owned since my original Squier Strat back in 1988, but where that has tiny frets and a glossy, sticky board, this is just wonderfully tactile and smooth, aided by the well-finished, decently chunky frets.  I'd say the profile is a little fatter than Fender's Modern C, but very comfy.  Nice rolled edges, as well.

It's already had one mod - which is to swap in my fave Gotoh oversized strap buttons - and it'll get a control plate with the volume moved away from the switch in due course.  (As an aside, why is it impossible to source these in the UK?  It makes a Tele so much more usable you wonder why it isn't standard.  @Graingerguitars - can't help feeling this would be a straightforward thing to do, and would sell well.  )

Overall, delighted with this; unfortunately, there is a 'but'...

The switch is not selecting the neck pickup properly.  Just popped the plate off, and it looks like one of the switch contacts is bent.  If I push it down to touch the curved plate, I get sound - but also if I just push the curved plate itself down.  Trying to get my head round the switch wiring - what should be making contact with what, exactly?

• Hey Jonathangus,

Happy to hear that everything is more or less groovy, made up that your happy, but let’s address the issue you’re having.

Please send us an email to support@boltguitars.co.uk if you’d like us to help you troubleshoot the issue. 

If you’re having no luck whatsoever with it, we’ll send a replacement. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    @Jonathangus ;

IIRC (and it *was* a fair few weeks ago now), I think the switch / wiper is just moving a fraction too far when you engage the neck pickup.  If you pull the switch as far as it will go towards the neck pickup, it breaks the connection.  If you position it a fraction back towards the bridge, it works fine.  

If you look at what's actually happening within the switch when you push/pull the switch level, you might see the issue.  I think it's a very marginally dodgy switch rather than a wire soldering issue.

I did notice it at the time, and thought to myself "I'll have a look at that", but then forgot to do so.

Unless the issue now is different??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • It’s not something that we’ve come across with any of our other kits (and a we’ve sold a fair few), so I don’t think there’s an issue with the ‘switches’ as opposed to ‘this switch’, if you catch my drift.

Whilst we test the travel of the switches in our quality control process, it’s not out of the realms of possibility that something may be wrong once it’s been wired up.

So let’s do this. We’ll send you an after market replacement for free. 

Please drop us an email (support@boltguitars.co.uk) or a PM on here with your address and a reasonable suggestion for your preference of switch.

We can’t bear the thought of having any of our guitars existing in the world without them being perfect!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks, gents.  Apologies for not replying yesterday; out at rehearsal - with the Bolt, which was sounding really good!
    TTony said:
    @Jonathangus ;

IIRC (and it *was* a fair few weeks ago now), I think the switch / wiper is just moving a fraction too far when you engage the neck pickup.  If you pull the switch as far as it will go towards the neck pickup, it breaks the connection.  If you position it a fraction back towards the bridge, it works fine.  

If you look at what's actually happening within the switch when you push/pull the switch level, you might see the issue.  I think it's a very marginally dodgy switch rather than a wire soldering issue.

I did notice it at the time, and thought to myself "I'll have a look at that", but then forgot to do so.

Unless the issue now is different??
    Yes, that's it.  I haven't completely worked out what's connecting/disconnecting, but I think it's probably caused by the bent contact in my pics.

@BoltGuitarsUK - thank you for your generous offer, but I've already got one on the way from Thomann (which pushed my order over the free shipping threshold, so I'll treat that as a bargain!)  So all good.  10/10 for customer service, though.  :)