Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sold - Carr Artemus USA handwired valve amp £995 ! - Amps £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sold - Carr Artemus USA handwired valve amp £995 !

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
edited October 2023 in Amps £
The Artemus is a glorious amp in great condition that I bought to A/B alongside my Mercury in the quest for that dream amp.

I few of you will back me up here based on some convos we’ve had this week - I’ve flipped and flopped a lot on which I prefer of the two

What has finally swung it as that the Mercury has reverb and has the attenuator to get drive at all volumes.

The Artemus is a 12AX7 based amp but has an incredible Vox like clean tone and takes pedals superbly but having the ability to just grab an amp and head out to a jam is a big driver for me.

It’s switchable from 30 to 15 watts and has two really useful switches alongside the EQ controls . The Edge control is like a presence switch and the Mids pushes the mids funnily enough. With both switches engaged you are in AC30 land but with them off you can definitely get Fender tones too.

Ive thought long and hard about keeping both but I can’t afford to so this is on the block until I change my mind.

£1250  including a custom cover and postage is an option as I have a decent box

No trades thanks as I need the dough

Cheers

Edit - I honestly can’t decide which one to sell so I’m putting the Mark 1 Mercury (8w 1x12 ) up for sale too.  Let the Fretboard decide and I’ll very gladly keep either as a forever amp !

I’ll let this go for the same low price I paid from @Treewig - £1099

You know how good these are - a stupidly loud 8w switchable down to 2w, 0.5w and 0.1 watts so it can really do it all. Lovely spring reverb and for those who’ve never played one it straddles a jtm45 and a tweed amp to my ears . The cleans are warm and full and the drive can get nice and wild especially when you tinker with the gain boost switch 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Rare amp indeed........they were quite a lovely thing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Very stylish looking too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    All Carr amps are stylish looking.......it's a bit of a USP with them 
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    Ahhh this is a beautiful amp, glad you decided to keep the Mercury tough choice for sure.
    I think he's keeping the wrong one 
    He'll think that in about 3 weeks time too 
    Con , just get an attenuator .......
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for the kind words folks and @Dominic , yes that was the plan but then I wanted a reverb pedal too and it started to turn into a bit of a faff compared to the Mercury which is a proper grab and go 
    edited July 2023
    Ignore me - I’m sticking to the plan and won’t be wavered by Dominic’s common sense !
    On hold pending negotiations !
  • Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 152
    Not surprised it’s on its way , brilliant amp, I would hate to have been in your position to choose between this and the Mercury Con, thankfully I never have enough spare loot to have one Carr never mind two…. =)
    Sevenof9 said:
    Not surprised it’s on its way , brilliant amp, I would hate to have been in your position to choose between this and the Mercury Con, thankfully I never have enough spare loot to have one Carr never mind two…. =)
    Thanks Martin and funny enough the closest amp I’ve had to the Artemus sound wise had been the Black Pearl that we’ve shared custody of :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lovely hand wired Artemus still for sale folks , someone was interested in the Mercury which made me think again whether the Artemus was the one to keep .  The Mercury I think is the better fit for me right now though
    Bump
    edited July 2023
    Withdrawn - not much love for the Carr atm evidently :-(

Will stick this or the Mercury on EBay in a week or two when then deal comes up
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Shame you have to sell it. I think it's one of his best amps, albeit extremely loud. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers @Greatape , to be honest in my situation , 2 expensive amps is overkill so I need to sell one , it’s just bloody difficult to decide . The Mercury is more practical but the core tone on the Artemus is fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Meh,  do you still have two kidneys? If yes,  keep both amps,  if no,  find someone with two kidneys...
    Benm39 said:
    Meh,  do you still have two kidneys? If yes,  keep both amps,  if no,  find someone with two kidneys...
    How many kidneys do you have Ben ?

send him a bottle of a nice Chianti
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Benm39 said:
    How many kidneys do you have Ben ?

A bit Schrodinger at present... the ones I was born with but expecting to need to sell one... and as for other peoples'... do I have to count those in the same total?! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Any takers for a lovely hand wired Carr before the next EBay offer comes around ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1644
    Looks like a fantastic amp mate 
    Looks like a fantastic amp mate 
    Cheers Dave , genuinely don’t know which one to keep between this and the Mercury - a nice problem to have I guess
    Carr Mercury added as I need to sell one or the other but can’t decide which . Someone buy one and decide for me !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry I know I’m coming across as totally mad but it’s like choosing between Rachel Weisz and Jennifer Connelly . I’m withdrawing for now to see if I can keep them both before I wind anyone up
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Sorry I know I’m coming across as totally mad but it’s like choosing between Rachel Weisz and Jennifer Connelly . I’m withdrawing for now to see if I can keep them both before I wind anyone up

Which one was Rachel Weisz?  That's the correct choice.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dodge said:

Which one was Rachel Weisz?  

The good looking woman in The Mummy :-)
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Dodge said:

No, which amp!
    Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

No, which amp!
    I know - I was being a twat :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 152
    I can’t say I’m surprised @DrCornelius  - tough decision indeed
    no, you don’t come across as mad at all, when you have something as good as you have (2 Carrs) but also your life and family circumstances to juggle it can certainly drive you mad!
    I change my mind on selling the Pearl on a daily basis, well as you know, I’ve sold it and bought it back before 
    so I am getting a head shell made up, the cost of which means I can never sell it so that will end that torment… :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

No, which amp!
    Whichever one is the outright keeper I would have thought.