Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Thinking about getting into 3D printing? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Thinking about getting into 3D printing?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    What can I make with a 3D printer? Metal parts? Plastic? How big will they go? I assume you have to scan something first?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Mostly plastic, but there are industrial ones that do metal.

You don't have to scan anything first, you can just design what you want in a CAD package.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited July 2023
    What can I make with a 3D printer? Metal parts? Plastic? How big will they go? I assume you have to scan something first?
    Most printers are around 22.5cm - 25cm square beds, with 25-30cm vertical height.

And no, you don't have to scan anything first, you can just design anything in a 3D CAD package. Or...you can just download and print stuff that other people have designed:

https://printables.com/
    https://thingiverse.com/

There's a lot out there. And...if you can't find something out there that does exactly what you want, you can still edit and modify someone else's models.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Ok, so it can make anything within a box size of 22.5 x 22.5 x 30? As long as it’s plastic? If so, that’s pretty amazing, and also potentially useful, particularly for odd plastic mouldings that are NLA.

However, I know bugger-all about CAD, or how to operate it, which could prove to be a major hurdle.

Ok, so it can make anything within a box size of 22.5 x 22.5 x 30? As long as it’s plastic? If so, that pretty amazing, and also potentially useful, particularly for odd plastic mouldings that are NLA.
    Yep, basically.

For what it's worth, you can also get bigger printers - the Bambu P1P, P1S and X1 have 256x256x256mm build volumes, and the Elegoo Neptune 3 Max (just an example) has a build volume of 420x420x500mm.

And, as I said...if you're careful regarding fumes, you can also print in ABS, PETG, nylon and a bunch of other materials.
    <space for hire>

However, I know bugger-all about CAD, or how to operate it, which could prove to be a major hurdle.
    There are a bazillion tutorials online for any given CAD package. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    I'm waiting for 4d printing. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Countersunk and sanded

I'm waiting for 4d printing. 
    A stitch in time
    edited July 2023
    @roberty - that's nice work, sir

How's it holding up to the tension? No creaking or cracking?
    <space for hire>
    @roberty - that's nice work, sir

How's it holding up to the tension? No creaking or cracking?
    Cheers. It seems perfectly happy to be there. Almost like it was made for it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    The only things I've ever seen people make with 3D printers are plastic animals, small boxes that could be bought in a pound shop and little tool holders for the 3D printer itself.

Before anyone jumps in to attack, it's just my personal experience.  That's not to say other people don't make motorbikes or banjos with them, but all I've ever seen are cats and little boxes.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    edited July 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    The only things I've ever seen people make with 3D printers are plastic animals, small boxes that could be bought in a pound shop and little tool holders for the 3D printer itself.

Before anyone jumps in to attack, it's just my personal experience.  That's not to say other people don't make motorbikes or banjos with them, but all I've ever seen are cats and little boxes.

Search for anything. Those are all things people have made to solve problems.

All depends on where you look :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There are 3D-printable upgrades for my tablesaw - the fence can move out of square if you don't pay attention, and they solve that. Might be handy for tool holders for the pegboards too - at the moment I machine them out of Duropal and mount with little steel brackets and cage nuts, which is a lot of work. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited July 2023
    Emp_Fab said:

All depends on where you look
    I just had a look there and picked the 'most popular of all time' designs....

A tiny model boat, a whistle, some updated bits for a scanner, a headphone stand and a mini octopus.

Just sayin'.  blush 

Actually, it's probably best if I leave this thread now....  :neutral:  
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    edited July 2023
    Those are five of the top eight. Not the top five. If you have to misrepresent things to prove your point it's not a good point.

Not to mention that your claim was "plastic animals, small boxes... and tool holders", only one of which is even in your edited list.
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    edited July 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

All depends on where you look
    I just had a look there and picked the 'most popular of all time' designs....

A tiny model boat, a whistle, some updated bits for a scanner, a headphone stand and a mini octopus.

Just sayin'.  blush 

Actually, it's probably best if I leave this thread now....  neutral  
    The boat is the "benchy", which is kind of a benchmark for most of the difficult things that a 3D printer would have to do. The whistle is similarly difficult if your printer isn't set up correctly, and the octopus is one of the original examples of a print-in-place articulated model (ie it's got joints, but doesn't require any assembly - it's printed so that all the functional joints are ready to go when it's finished).

Basically, those are models designed specifically for testing and calibrating the printer. That's why they're the most popular - they're the first things everyone prints to get their machine set up correctly (although newer printers have far better automated processes for a lot of this stuff now). The other two are just useful things.

EDIT: The "updated bits for a scanner" you referred to is actually a printable mechanism for turning your phone into a 3D scanner. Incredibly useful, if you want to duplicate existing real-world objects. You'd probably have to spend about £800+ to buy one.

I know you're really trying to paint 3D printing as a pointless endeavour that never works unless you're printing useless stuff, but...here are some actual useful examples.

My server:

My desktop PC:

Wife's desktop PC:

Masks for a friend's stage show:

Could I have built the PCs without a printer? Sure, but it would've been a major pain in the ass. All the fittings, PCIE brackets, drive caddies, fan adapters, switch housings, most of the motherboard standoffs...printed. Could I have just bought cases for the PCs? Yep, obviously, but then they wouldn't fit my requirements. To buy drive arrays, for example, would've been hellishly expensive (more than the entire budget of the machine!), would've taken up way more space, require buying a rack, and would be noisy as all hell. As it is, they cost me pennies to make, fit neatly in a small space, and have perfectly adequate near-silent cooling.

That's the point for me. Making things that exactly fulfil my requirements, rather than having a collection of expensive stuff that almost does but not quite, which means I'm just creating difficulty for myself further down the line and spending a ton of money I don't need to.

My first printer, in just one year, paid for itself almost 10 times over.

The main difficulty is one of mindset - identifying the problems and minor annoyances that you've been working around and putting up with for years and thinking, "How could I solve this, if there were no constraints at all?" then working backwards.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’m left trying to think of something I need that I could use a 3D printer for.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I’m left trying to think of something I need that I could use a 3D printer for.
    Start a thread asking for suggestions ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Well, that was short-lived. My Neptune 4 printer has died - the extruder stepper motor burned itself out and developed a short, which has destroyed the driver on the mainboard.

Seriously considering doing the boring thing and just ordering a Bambu P1S - it's crap that they're so closed-source about everything, but their support is good and their reputation for reliability is solid at this point.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh mate that sucks, sorry to hear that. No warranty?
    roberty said:
    Oh mate that sucks, sorry to hear that. No warranty?
    There is, but it kinda looks like it'll involve shipping it back to China. Given how cheap it was, and how heavy it is, I'd probably end up spending half its value just on shipping. Not really worth it :(
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Bummer, it all sounded so positive.
    Is there no value in replacing like for like & keeping the original as spare parts?
    Or are the 'likely to fail' items the ones that have gone already ?
    Bummer, it all sounded so positive.
    Is there no value in replacing like for like & keeping the original as spare parts?
    Or are the 'likely to fail' items the ones that have gone already ?
    Yeah, it's a proper shit. Unfortunately, buying another one now would mean about a 4-6 week wait, and I've got lots of stuff I need to print. I've got a support ticket in, but it's all done by email and they're not particularly good at communication; if they can't ship me a replacement or spares quickly, I'm going to have to buy another printer.

Of course...if I buy another printer and then they ship me some parts, it could be the start of a high-performance print farm...
    <space for hire>
    Yeah that is a shame. I hope they can sort you out somehow 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    edited August 2023
    Support and backup is why I'd nearly always suggest a Creality printer.

The factory support is typical cheap chinese (slow and almost non-existent at times!), but there are far more of them in use, so there are far more users who can give advise, and spares/aftermarket options are far more plentiful.
    It's why I have two Ender 3's as my workhorses.

I also have a Voron 2.4, but that was very much a case of, because I wanted it. It makes absolute zero business sense!
    m_c said:
    Support and backup is why I'd nearly always suggest a Creality printer.

The factory support is typical cheap chinese (slow and almost non-existent at times!), but there are far more of them in use, so there are far more users who can give advise, and spares/aftermarket options are far more plentiful.
    It's why I have two Ender 3's as my workhorses.

I also have a Voron 2.4, but that was very much a case of, because I wanted it. It makes absolute zero business sense!
    The problem with Creality is that they don't have a credible answer to the new wave of fast printers - the K1 is an absolute dud, with near-unusable print quality and ridiculously locked-down firmware. There was a way to unlock it so that all the functions of the Klipper firmware could be used, and...they completely locked it out with the next revision.

I think I'd rather have closed-source than open source but with the most useful features locked out. Utter madness, and it shows total bad faith that I don't really want to support with my money.

I'm at the point where I want something that's both fast and reliable - it's increasingly looking like Bambu is the only game in town for that. Especially since Prusa wet the bed with the Mk4 - it's as slow as the previous gen on release, and will still be slower than the Neptune 4, K1 and Bambu P1P/P1S even when input shaping finally makes it out of beta...at twice the price

It kinda feels like the K1 and Prusa Mk4 are beta releases rushed out to combat the Bambu machines, and they're nowhere near being ready for retail. The Neptune 4 is an oddity, and I do genuinely think I've hit a one-in-a-million problem with mine - it's so rare that the Klipper error code is a Googlewhack.

<posted a few days later because I just found this in my drafts>
    <space for hire>
    Update: my Bambu P1S is here, and holy fuckballs it's fast.

It's also...3D printing on easy mode. It really takes care of most of the difficult stuff for you, and the whole process is mostly hands-off. Hell, it even cleans the nozzle for you and snips any dangling filament before it prints. The bed levelling process is entirely taken care of, and you don't have to do anything for the input shaping (motion compensation) to work, it just...does.

The only things that suck are a) the user interface (although once you've got it set up in LAN-only mode, rather than cloud mode, you can do most things from the slicer software), and b) the camera.

Honestly, the camera is so unbelievably shit. I don't understand how I can have a £230 printer that can use any camera at 30 frames per second, but a £630 printer which can only use one own-branded camera and runs at 2 seconds per frame (I'm not kidding).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The latest creation:

Decided my old crappy set of desk drawers needed replacing, so quickly knocked up a stackable set in TinkerCAD. Took about 15 minutes to design the sleeve, drawer and handle separately, and about 25hrs of printing. It would've been much less (probably about 16hrs), but I've only got 0.4mm nozzles for the new printer and I was being conservative with the speed settings. Great thing is, if I find I need more space, I can just stack more on top or at the sides.

As a test of the new printer, it was great - didn't have to babysit it at all, it just did exactly what it was supposed to and told me when it was done. The only bit of intervention was to change the filament for the drawers (different colour, obviously) and to swap out the black when it ran out - which is something none of my other printers have ever managed gracefully, I always had to chuck away the piece and start again.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter