Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oddball looking guitars that somehow look cool... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oddball looking guitars that somehow look cool...

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
No idea what they'd be like to play, but always like the look of some of these non standard guitar types.
DISC Schecter Ultra III Electric Guitar Vintage Red  Gear4music
Guild Newark S-200 T-Bird Antique Burst
PureSalem Guitars jDoe  Reverb
Eastwood Airline 59 Custom 3P DLX Electric Guitar  Eastwood Guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001

Abasi Concepts Larada.

When I first saw them I thought they were absolutely awful, but the design has really grown on me.

I'd love to try one.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I always thought the guild melted sg looked cool in a  'not sure' way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    That Airline last one is immediately what came to my mind when I read the thread title. Did Jack White play one?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited July 2023
    @CHRISB50 that guitar isn't "me" but I would sure as heck love to try it out. It also looks oddly cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    i've always had a soft spot for the body and headstock on the Teisco Spectrum bass

safe to say someone at Schecter was also a fan as the Avenger shape is very clearly inspired by this
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Surely this thread needs to be owned by @HarrySeven ;

I'd say many of the coolest guitars are the Italian models from the 50's and 60's and many from the Chicago Sears catalogue era - Host to choose from 

Many today will say guitars like a Gibson Maurader, RD Artist etc are cool - I disagree - They were failures back in the day, for various reasons - Yes they have their fan clubs today but IMO they are not cool 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    I thought this was cool, and really wanted a white S-300 back in 1978:

You used to see the bass version on stage much more than the 6-string. I couldn't afford the S-300, and bought the S-60 instead (I still have it). It's widely believed that Guild based the design on this even more oddball looking shape:

@Creed_Clicks same. It's not really me either, but I'm quite taken with them.

A couple of years back I started to get an itch for a super Strat. Since then I've found I'm more attracted to the modern looking designs.

Another Tosin Abasi associated guitar, just released by Music Man: Kaizen.

An ergonomic thin body, futuristic twist on a Strat design.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Sorry, I don't like anything in this thread. All Fugly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 2872

Ha
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited July 2023
    Stevepage said:

Ha
    the only one in contention so far,   if it had a proper fretboard
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    tony99 said:
    That Airline last one is immediately what came to my mind when I read the thread title. Did Jack White play one?
    The 2 pickup model I think.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited July 2023

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    love the look of bear guitars, rustic, individual, local uk woods.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    The Puresalem El Brujo looks awesome, like an offset mixed with a Firebird or something. Would really like a play on one. Proper stoner rock guitar! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    TTBZ said:
    The Puresalem El Brujo looks awesome, like an offset mixed with a Firebird or something. Would really like a play on one. Proper stoner rock guitar! 

I quite like that as well, but it's more RD than Firebird.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    The Billy F Gibbons Special  Artist ed  gyrock  gyrock
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Offset wow!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Ovation solidbodies.

Paul Stanley Vibes 1970s Ovation Breadwinner Electric Guitar White  OHSC  - Lovies Guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    Have to say, I do love this shape...

DISC Schecter Ultra III Electric Guitar Vintage Red  Gear4music

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257

Always been fascinated by these.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Basslab L-Bow

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Offset wow!
    Yes I love 'em.  But they're eye-wateringly expensive...

https://wildcustomguitars.com/gyrock-guitars/47-billy-f-gibbons-standard-ed.html
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    edited July 2023

Not mine, I just snagged the photo from Reverb. I still have mine if anyone is interested.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    CHRISB50 said:

A couple of years back I started to get an itch for a super Strat. Since then I've found I'm more attracted to the modern looking designs.

Hadn’t heard of these ,that is floating my tremolo 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:

Hadn’t heard of these ,that is floating my tremolo 
    Haha. Mine too. I think they’re lovely. 

Unfortunately no lefties for me, and they ain’t cheap. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited July 2023
    Offset said:
    The Billy F Gibbons Special  Artist ed  gyrock  gyrock
    I'm sure that shouldn't work, but it is a thing of beauty.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader

My definition of oddball:
    The Kawaii Rock and Roll Star that @TTony kindly sold to me ages ago ... 
    These days it no longer has the daft phase switch that someone fitted below the 'sound hole'.
    Contrary to the way this guitar looks it's mostly solid and sounds more like a Les Paul Junior than an acoustic. 

That's a vintage DiMarzio in the bridge ... which it came with.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 161

Yamaha SG-7
    sg7.jpg 140.2K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter