Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is an amazing album with a (kind of) crap opening track? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is an amazing album with a (kind of) crap opening track?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    bobeffect said:
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Wildest Dreams off Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

Was going to say exactly the same about The Second Coming 1st track....I always fast forward it 4mins & 30secs to get to the good bit.
    The river in Wepre woods in North Wales that, where I often walk my dog. I love it just for that fact.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    bobeffect said:
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Was going to say exactly the same about The Second Coming 1st track....I always fast forward it 4mins & 30secs to get to the good bit.
    The river in Wepre woods in North Wales that, where I often walk my dog. I love it just for that fact.  
    How can I verify this? Great trivia for another local!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited July 2023
    Rise and Fall of Ziggy stardust....Five Years....then Soul Love. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    MrTee said:
    bobeffect said:

The second coming demos  were done at the brewery studio, which backed onto the woods (by the kennels). Its still there as a private residence. Wepre Park is also mentioned in a Catatonia song

Connah's Quay (en-academic.com) 
  • chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    edited July 2023
    Springywheel said:
    Don't know where to start with this… Five Years is my favourite track on the album and one of my favourite songs in Bowie's entire catalogue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    MrTee said:
    bobeffect said:

The second coming demos  were done at the brewery studio, which backed onto the woods (by the kennels). Its still there as a private residence. Wepre Park is also mentioned in a Catatonia song

Connah's Quay (en-academic.com) 
    I bought a drum kit from the guy who moved into the old studios a number of years back (was it called angel hair studios?). Just didn't know the wepre stream bit, cool! I'll have a chuckle to myself next time I pass it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    Wish You Were Here - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

(Only joking…)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I honestly can't think of anything.  But I'm sure one day I'll put on an album and think of this thread.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819

It's far, far too long, but it's great when BIH kicks in. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Out of Time by REM is great, but I've always felt Radio Song with it's unnecessary rapping part diminishes the album.

The first song off Flaming Lip's 7 Skies H3 goes on a bit too.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Nothing really came to my mind. But this morning I’ve had Version Girl by Rhoda Dakar on which starts with a two minute mostly spoken intro basically explaining that it’s an album of cover versions. It’s not unlistenable but seems almost designed to be skipped.
     Maybe on an album of covers it’s intended to give her some share of songwriting royalties. I remember reading somewhere that on 70s rock albums you’d get those two minute drum solo tracks and they were just a way of getting the drummer some royalties 10% of the monies for a track people usually skipped. 
    If anything less obscure comes to mind I’ll let you know. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    chrisv said:
    Springywheel said:
    Don't know where to start with this… Five Years is my favourite track on the album and one of my favourite songs in Bowie's entire catalogue.
    Ok I wouldn't call them crap opening tracks..but the rest of the album is so good that they pale in comparison. Just weird sequencing that's all. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention. I get why 'Come All Ye' exists, but it's easily the least good track on the album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter