Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is an amazing album with a (kind of) crap opening track? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is an amazing album with a (kind of) crap opening track?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
Was thinking about album sequencing today and how important a banger of an opening track is or was to an album.

But what are some famous or well respected or huge selling albums with (kind of) crap opening tracks? Or at least songs that are not in the same league as the rest of the album?

Three off the top of my head:

Taxman - Revolver
Hello - Morning Glory
EXP - Axis: Bold as Love

Any others?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Probably doesn't meet your criteria, but JJ72s second album was pretty good except for the first track, which was excruciatingly bad. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The Beatles - Let It Be - Two Of Us. Should be Get Back. I actually think the whole album would be much more highly rated if it wasn't sequenced so badly.

ABBA - Arrival - When I Kissed The Teacher. Should be Arrival! Doh...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LPManic said:
    Was thinking about album sequencing today and how important a banger of an opening track is or was to an album.

But what are some famous or well respected or huge selling albums with (kind of) crap opening tracks? Or at least songs that are not in the same league as the rest of the album?

Taxman - Revolver
    Hello - Morning Glory

Any others?

Wow. Well, for me, neither Taxman and EXP are clearly not (kind of) crap. 

I assume Morning Glory is Oasis, but as I can’t stand them anyway you’re probably right. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited June 2023
    I always found Brown Sugar and Bitch annoying even though Sticky Fingers is among my favourite albums.  I almost always skipped the first track on both sides when playing the album.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Rumours.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Number of the Beast (Invaders)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde has a pretty weak opening 1-2 with Rainy Day Women #12&35 followed by Pledging My Time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I listened to an album this we3k and thought to myself that the first track was poor, but damnit, I can’t remember what it was! I shall return if it comes to me …
    Rumours.
    Second Hand News? That's a good song.

LPManic said:
    Taxman - Revolver
    Huh?
    That was my reaction too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    peter gabriel 1 AKA Car

Opening track, Moribund The Burgermeister. Barely fit for release as the third bonus track on the B-side of a single.

For several reasons, the album should have opened with Solsbury Hill. 
    1) Recognition from already being the single.
    2) PG should have begun straight before exposing listeners to the weirder songs.
    3) SH is the stand out track on the album. It is such a classic.

Similarly, Here Comes The Flood is a superb closing track.
    Be seeing you.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Wildest Dreams off Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    INXS’s Kick-Guns in the Sky us an odd track. 

ICBM said:
    The Beatles - Let It Be - Two Of Us. Should be Get Back. I actually think the whole album would be much more highly rated if it wasn't sequenced so badly.

ABBA - Arrival - When I Kissed The Teacher. Should be Arrival! Doh...
    Try the Glyn Johns version of the album called Get Back if you can find it. Far superior track selection and sequencing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    As said above, Invaders on NOTB is appalling as an opening track for such an amazing album.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Taxman, Hello and Second Hand News are all great. Y'all are weird. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    peter gabriel 1 AKA Car

That first Peter Gabriel album is *not* an amazing album. And I say that as a fan.

• brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 338
    Came in to say the same as @Redlester - Kick by INXS is a brilliant 80s pop album with an unaccountably duff opener.

It's quite hard to think of straight-up great albums with slightly crap opening tracks because I guess they wouldn't be great albums. 
    edited July 2023
    Sinéad O'Connor - Universal Mother

A great album almost ruined by a spoken intro track by Germaine Greer. I know she was trying to make a point which mattered to her, but after you’ve heard it once it’s just unnecessary and annoying. Thankfully it’s easy to remove from your iTunes library…

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Came in to say the same as @Redlester - Kick by INXS is a brilliant 80s pop album with an unaccountably duff opener.

It's quite hard to think of straight-up great albums with slightly crap opening tracks because I guess they wouldn't be great albums. 
    Guns in the sky
    Child grows up to see
    Guns in the sky
    Used to be on TV

I bought this album when I was 15 and forced my parents to listen to it in the car on the way home. Hutchence swearing on the first track led to a disussion, I can tell you. It's pretty awful.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bobeffectbobeffect Frets: 43
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Wildest Dreams off Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

Was going to say exactly the same about The Second Coming 1st track....I always fast forward it 4mins & 30secs to get to the good bit.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    In light of Glastonbury and Hyde Park, I think we can add Right Next Door to Hell on Use Your Illusion I. The song is not helped by the fact that Dust n Bones - a Izzy classic - is the second song and Civil War is the opening track on UYI II.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Ahhh man, I love Right Next Door To Hell and it's a true story!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 162
    I’m sure we did this topic recently. I noted it for someone’s hot take was Welcome to the Jungle was a poor opening track
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 477
    Big Thief - Masterpiece
    1st track Little Arrow. Still their best album though IMO.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I’m sure we did this topic recently. I noted it for someone’s hot take was Welcome to the Jungle was a poor opening track
     I had this similarish thread:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/239932/great-albums-where-you-tend-to-skip-the-first-track#latest

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Siouxsie & The Banshees debut album "The Scream" opens with "Pure" which is horrible. The rest of the album is staggerngly good.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    LPManic said:

Taxman - Revolver
    Hello - Morning Glory

Any others?

Funnily enough, EXP was precisely what came to mind when I saw this thread title (the silly talky bit, not the song).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    LPManic said:
    In light of Glastonbury and Hyde Park, I think we can add Right Next Door to Hell on Use Your Illusion I. The song is not helped by the fact that Dust n Bones - a Izzy classic - is the second song and Civil War is the opening track on UYI II.
    pretty sure UYI 1 and 2 is a great EP padded out to 2 double albums
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Reverend said:
    LPManic said:
    pretty sure UYI 1 and 2 is a great EP padded out to 2 double albums
    with a drummer who ruined the whole sound of the band.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    LPManic said:

Taxman - Revolver
    Hello - Morning Glory

Any others?

Wow. Three of the best tracks by the artists. Crazy.